GT28RS for msp

Deathspeed

:
mazdaspeed protege
hey any of you guys that got the gt28rs on a msp have any pictures of your setup i got that turbo and wanna see whats involved in installing it because my car is my daily driver and i cant have it down longer than the weekend

Last edited:
what else do you have on the car? the gt25 is a great lil turbo as long as she can breath and the exhaust is 3'

i just pulled off my gt28rs, mani, and downpipe.

i'll post some pictures so you can see how we routed the coolant lines, clocked the turbo, and made a custom bracket for the actuator using the stock gt25r actuator. actually toly did most of the work ;)

the mani and downpipe are at the shop right now getting welded, my dp broke snapped in two and my mani has a stress crack. both should be back tomorrow, hopefully i'll have pics for you in the next couple of days.

Last edited:
akeem1003 said:
How did you manage to do all of that? Were you still running the stock mani?

manage to do what? run the gt28rs or break dp and mani? wicked has a thread on here on how to run the gt28rs. some minor modifications are needed like what i mentioned above.

and yes i'm running the stock mani.

dannyboy17 said:
hows the stock airbox better than a short ram intake?

You ever open your hood after driving and feel the heat POUR out of the bay. The stock airbox will shield some heat, a CAI will pull in cooler ambient air, a Short ram or (Warm Air Intake) is just that. It's inefficiently pulling in useless hot air.

To the original poster, can you turn the short ram to run to the bottom of the radiator? I'm sure it'll be cooler there with air moving than in the middle of the bay.

msp35 said:
You ever open your hood after driving and feel the heat POUR out of the bay. The stock airbox will shield some heat, a CAI will pull in cooler ambient air, a Short ram or (Warm Air Intake) is just that. It's inefficiently pulling in useless hot air.

To the original poster, can you turn the short ram to run to the bottom of the radiator? I'm sure it'll be cooler there with air moving than in the middle of the bay.

cai or ram air, its running thru the compressor which gets hot and gets compressed which gets hot yet again. the fmic will play the larger role in keeping the air cool w/ turbo cars. i don't think the cai / ram air will make much of a difference in the car.

i could see the argument on a n/a car.

Last edited:
Kicker is right, i used to own a VW and in there forums there was a big argument about CAI or short ram on turbo cars there is a fraction of a degree difference because it goes through the turbo which your exhaust gas has made EXTREMELY hot thus doing nothing then this "hot" air goes through the IC which makes colder than when it went through turbo

kicker22705 said:
cai or ram air, its running thru the compressor which gets hot and gets compressed which gets hot yet again. the fmic will play the larger role in keeping the air cool w/ turbo cars. i don't think the cai / ram air will make much of a difference in the car.

i could see the argument on a n/a car.

the problem is quantity...

your compressing hotter air which is less dense, and contains less oxygen and make it even hotter... even though your cooling it down with a FMIC and getting it cooler, you still are getting LESS air into the engine as warmerr air takes more space then cooler air, thus, making some sort of "bottleneck" as you won't be getting in as much as it takes more space...

what i mean is it's far better off cooling down ambient tempertarure air thats been ccompressed than trying to cool down hot air from under the hood..

i did alot of testing (with an industrial sensor i borrowed from work ( cost about 800$ CDN and is VERY precise) on my previous car and some friends too

at 75 degrees F ( approx 25 degrees celsius) turns out that the majority of cars will suck in air from a cone filter under the hood ( i.e. short ram) at about 122 degrees F / 50 degrees celsius ! and it shows on performance..

another test we did was at 60 degrees F / 15 degrees Celsius.. turns out the car was ALOT better and the air in the intake was at a 70 degrees F / 20 degrees C. and performance was alot better. the bottle neck effect was less present as the air was denser and more was getting in by the 3 inch pipe/cone filter assembly

for some reason (which i think is the way the car needs to cool off more at higher temps) the car at lower temperature was reacting better and to a point, the air inside the hood was almost as cool as the outside air..

like below or clost to freezing point, it "might" be ok to put a short ram..

Fr0st

to get back on topic...

IMO there's no point in installing a GT28RS unless you're getting forged internals and going above 10 psi. the 28 flows more air than the 25 - more air than you need on stock internals. you won't be able to fully take advantage of it.

Back