Got hit from the rear :[

In new jersey, its the LAW that you must call the police if an auto accident occurs. They do not automatically inform your insurance company, its up to you to decide if you want to do that or not.

The right thing to do would have been to call the police to write a report. You can't go back and do that, so the right thing to do now is to get some estimates on the damage, possibly try and find a used bumper thats the same color as your car. And politely bring up the cost of repairs to your friend....

You really think I'd need a new bumper? It's not that bad from the outside it still has it's shape for the most part and it's a little scuffed up

you should at least take it off to see if there's internal damage. and if it's cracked, new is better and repairing.

Everyone on this forum has told you to get your friend to pay. You asked for advice, maybe you should take the hint.

I hope i never get hit from the rear.....especially by someone controlling something huge... XD but in the case anything rips i'll make sure theyre protected.....with insurance, like i am...come on, what did you guys think i was talking about? -_-

I'm so glad I have full coverage on this car, God forbid if one of the million morons on the road hits me.

I am going to be blunt here: good friend or not, it's his fault. He was driving a car. He should have at least basic liability insurance. That's what it exists for. Go to a body shop, get an estimate, and have the insurance pay for it.

Also, I cannot believe you were not stupid enough to
A) take pictures at the accident
B) get all of his insurance information
C) file a police report to get the insurance money

Good friend or not, there are times when people have to sack up and take an iota of responsibility for what they have done. This is one of those times. Furthermore, I hope that you've learned what you should be doing in the event of an accident. You and your friend have driver's licenses. Time to learn how to use them and the responsibilities driving entails.

I couldn't take pictures it was too dark at the time, and all I had was a phone camera. How do I remove the rear bumper?

you guys are nuts lol, its a good friend of his, why would he call the cops??? like he said if anything his friend will pay for it or make it up to him!!!

you guys are nuts lol, its a good friend of his, why would he call the cops??? like he said if anything his friend will pay for it or make it up to him!!!

THANK YOU! It's not like it's some kid I know, it's one of my best friends. Plus he said he'd pay for it. I just need some advice on what to do from here. Like how to remove the rear bumper, and how much would you guess that'd come to, how would I know if I needed a new rear bumper, and do you think anything else could be wrong other than cosmetics?

Make it up to him??? how is he gonna do that? buy him/her dinner? mow his lawn? you have got to be kidding me...good friend or not, money can end friendships and relationships, and like mgrin said, that is the point of having insurance and a license. the state of NJ thought he was responsible enuff to have one, and if he was being irresponsible, he should be held accountable...he needs a eye opener, and as a friend you should be the one to give it to him...cause driving a car that has the potential of killing someone isnt the time to be a MORON. what if your passengers in the car decide to sue you and the MORON? what are you gonna do then?

"Like how to remove the rear bumper, and how much would you guess that'd come to, how would I know if I needed a new rear bumper, and do you think anything else could be wrong other than cosmetics?"

As I said in my earlier post you need someone skilled in body repair to determine what needs to be replaced and what can be repaired. A body shop can tell you if the bumper needs replacing.

Unless you want a poor repair take it to a body shop, you are in over your head or you wouldn't be asking us what to do.

Clifton

HOLD ON!!!
were you just looking for someone to agree with you so that in your small mind you wouldn't feel bad/stupid about what you thought was right or wrong? are you retarded? 3 days and 37 posts later...you wasted everyones time!
99.9 % of the people told you to have a police report..you just wanted that
.01% that agrees with you so you don't feel like s***.

seriously....
THANK YOU! It's not like it's some kid I know, it's one of my best friends. Plus he said he'd pay for it. I just need some advice on what to do from here. Like how to remove the rear bumper, and how much would you guess that'd come to, how would I know if I needed a new rear bumper, and do you think anything else could be wrong other than cosmetics?

HOLD ON!!!
were you just looking for someone to agree with you so that in your small mind you wouldn't feel bad/stupid about what you thought was right or wrong? are you retarded? 3 days and 37 posts later...you wasted everyones time!
99.9 % of the people told you to have a police report..you just wanted that
.01% that agrees with you so you don't feel like s***.

seriously....

No! I don't care if you agree with me or not. It's just everyones ganging up on me and flaming me. Yeah I made a mistake, of course I'm gunna make a mistake, I'm only human. I don't need to get flamed for it. Some guy tries to stand by my side for it too, and what happens to him? He gets flamed too. I'm just looking for some help, not to be called a dipshit. Sorry that I'm so dumb

they just love their car too much. for christ sake its just a bloody mazda. my mom hit my rear bumper pretty damn hard. did i tell her to pay for it? no. i just said whatever and went back inside. s*** happens. if his friend is gonna pay then he's gonna pay. if he doesnt then they probably wont be friends anymore and the OP learns a lesson. god, you people are so anal about the dumbest crap

(enguard)

Back