Got a weird noise that I can't figure out

PGTBrow

:
Probe GT, Mazda 2
Ok, so for the past few weeks i've been hearing a popping noise in the rear driver side of my 2. It's much more noticeable when I go over bumps at low speed. I've inspected the rear suspension and exhaust and don't see anything out of the ordinary. Today when I had myself and 2 other guys in the car it made a rubbery noise and squeaked more than popped. Strut mount perhaps?

I think I'm hearing the same thing. Sounds kind of like a light popping noise you could make with your lips. I, too, have noticed more of a rubbery squeak when my trunk area is full of tools.

I think I'm hearing the same thing. Sounds kind of like a light popping noise you could make with your lips. I, too, have noticed more of a rubbery squeak when my trunk area is full of tools.

EXACTLY! Under a load it squeaks, but just me in the car it pops. WTF!

Actually I have a friend in the parts dept and she can get a rear shock for $93 +tax, might be worth it just to replace it and see if it helps. But then again Rockauto has Monroes for $38 each...

Last edited:
Could it be the rear springs moving in their seats?

If rear shock was shot, try bouncing the rear corners up and down and see if it keeps bouncing. A good shock would stop the bounce fast. Compare the two corners.

Not found of Monroe's myself. Put them on one vehicle and they were no better than the worn out shocks. Sigh............

Imma just take the shock off and see if its leaking or weak. If not I guess I will have to deal with the sound lol.

It's warm here today (for December in NH), and I'm not hearing any popping noises coming from the rear of my car. I'll be on the lookout for strange noises as the temp drops over the next couple of days.

Hmmm. I was thinking it may also be that rear beam to chassis bushing. Gonna tear into it this weekend, and I may pick up a set of those Poly mounts from Goodwin.

FIXED IT!

So....
I tore into the rear suspension and found the noise to be the bottom bushing on the shock. Rubbed some white lithium grease around it and it sounds as good as new.

Mine makes the same sound. I figured that it was the CorkSport bar out back, but I'll take a look at my bushings this weekend.

Mine makes the same sound. I figured that it was the CorkSport bar out back, but I'll take a look at my bushings this weekend.

I thought I remember hearing about some TSB about the bushings somewhere on the 2, but thought it was for cold weather only. Seems like a few people are having the same issues....

Its hard to see the bushing without actually taking the bolt out and looking at it. Im probably gonna grease up the other side now just to prevent it.

Back