Got a squeak!

mazdarichie

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
Ok, I seem to have a small squeak starting when I push in the clutch pedal or let it out. But, I can now hear that squeak while I'm driving. It will only squeak in gear while I'm driving. It does not squeak when it is out of gear and just coasting. Could it be the beginning of a clutch problem? Thoughts?

Just wait till it gets worse... Or spray the pedal assy with some silicone and use a process of elimination on all the movining parts of the clutch.

And if your 100% sure that simple lubrication doesn't fix it then I would consider the clutch acting up

It's not the pedal assembly squeaking. I am pretty sure it's the clutch. As I accelerate it it squeaks more and more. What all is required to get the clutch out? Is it a simple job? I have no problem giving it a shot. But is there anything special to doing it or how long it will take to change out?

If it does it while driving and letting clutch in and out its either pilot bearing or throw out bearing. Your gona have to pull the trans. Not to be an ass but if you don't know how involved a clutch replacement is get someone who knows to help you or take it somewhere, it will be an all day job if you know what you're doing.

You might be lucky an its just the solace cylinder which is bolted to the trans. The creak and groan when they're bad.

Take a video of each one and post it, just have someone push the clutch in and out at different speeds and have someone with a camera near the trans to hear it, then take it down the road for the squeaking. It will help is know more about what it is rather than going off a squeak

Oh I have done a clutch. Just not on a FWD car before. I only have experience on old Subarus. That always requires pulling the engine out.

My throwout bearing squeaks as well, which is a shame because the clutch is holding perfectly!

Bearings don't typically squeak, they usually make a grinding metal on metal sound when they go. You sure it isn't just a belt? Sounds like you've got some wrench time under your belt, so you get the benefit of the doubt, but all the bearings I've replaced haven't solved a single "squeak".

Bearings don't typically squeak, they usually make a grinding metal on metal sound when they go. You sure it isn't just a belt? Sounds like you've got some wrench time under your belt, so you get the benefit of the doubt, but all the bearings I've replaced haven't solved a single "squeak".

I actually have a wheel bearing making a squeak... It's really annoying

When the pilot bearing went out in my brothers Honda it was a grinding, but the throw out bearing made a squeak

it will be an all day job if you know what you're doing.

If you're a ******' retard, maybe... I can R&R the transmission in a BJ Protege in 2 1/2 hours... That's why I'm installing my build motor then going back in a couple of weeks to put in a beefier clutch...

Maybe if you have a lift and air tools, it took 4 hours for my obd0 civic and 3 hours on my brothers eg with a wire tuck

Bolts that have been there for 10 years don't come out easily neither do axle nuts or even axles, if you have air tools yes I could see 2-4 hours depending on how tight everything is, hand tools and jack stands hell no

Maybe if you have a lift and air tools, it took 4 hours for my obd0 civic and 3 hours on my brothers eg with a wire tuck

Bolts that have been there for 10 years don't come out easily neither do axle nuts or even axles, if you have air tools yes I could see 2-4 hours depending on how tight everything is, hand tools and jack stands hell no
My friends uploaded a video on YouTube of them R&Ring the transmission in his KLZE swapped P5 in his driveway with hand tools... I'll try to find it.

Well good for them. Obviously it had been apart before, your missing the entire context of what I'm saying aparently

Is not a belt squeak. I am positive it is the throwout bearing squeaking. I can let the car run and run. Rev it up and no squeak. It only does it when the car is in gear driving. Take it out of gear and nothing. Soon as I described what it was doing to a mechanic he said thowout bearing too. It's getting worse. Need to take care of it soon. Guess It's time to buy a new clutch kit. Think the stock type should work just fine. It works just fine now except for the squeak. 43,600 miles. Hard to believe this crap is happening.

Is not a belt squeak. I am positive it is the throwout bearing squeaking. I can let the car run and run. Rev it up and no squeak. It only does it when the car is in gear driving. Take it out of gear and nothing. Soon as I described what it was doing to a mechanic he said thowout bearing too. It's getting worse. Need to take care of it soon. Guess It's time to buy a new clutch kit. Think the stock type should work just fine. It works just fine now except for the squeak. 43,600 miles. Hard to believe this crap is happening.
The grease inside the trans wears away due to age, not necessarily mileage. You can pull the trans and lube it and it will go away. The stock clutch should be fine I have heard of factory MSP clutches going a long way.

That seems about typical. Just like my timing belt is getting old. Wondering if I should get that changed too.

Will the Exedy kmz08 Clutch kit work? I have read some information and it's not all that clear that it fits or not. I just want to replace it with a stock style. It says it does on the Protege garage but other websites say it does not.

Back