GI: 505 Cold Air Box Round 2

I've been getting a lot of requests for these over the past couple weeks, so I think it's about time for round 2!

Please check out the original GB thread if you're not familiar with this piece: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123823991-505-Cold-Air-Box-GB

Edit - The actual GB thread is now live, and you can find it here:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123846244-505-Cold-Air-Box-Round-2-*GB*

The Gist:

- Cold air temps (tested up to ~145*F colder vs SRI under normal operating conditions)
- No hydrolock risk that is common with standard CAI setups
- Less filter cleaning vs other SRI and CAI setups

CIMG5567.jpg

The Details:

Add yourself to the list if you're interested and tell me what you need, be it a full kit for sedan, or a box only for wagon, etc. I also need to know if you are turbo or N/A, and what kind of finishing option you want.

Pricing from the original GB is going to hold up about the same, and I need upwards of 10 boxes to make the old prices work and get this party rollin'. (rockon)

The tl;dr:

Because there are so many combos here, please list the following:

A) Headlight style
B) Kit type (full kit / box only / box and pipes)
C) N/A or turbo
D) Finishing

Example:

1. 505zoom - sedan - full kit - turbo - polished
2. xxxxxxxx - wagon - box only - N/A - anodized black
3. xxxxxxxx - sedan - box + piping - N/A - powdercoated silver
4. xxxxxxxx - wagon - full kit - turbo - bare

The Group:

*. 505zoom - sedan - full kit - turbo - polished
1: Fuadmsp - Box no piping - 4in inlet for gtx30 - polished - p5 headlights - debating on filter what kind of options
2: i12drivemyMP5 - P5 w/ P5 headlights - N/A - bare piping with breather port + black anodized box (no filter) - black couplings
3: RyanJayG - Sedan - Boosted - 4" inlet - Black anodized box only
4: Perro del Sol - Sedan - box only - Turbo - Anondized Black
5: Viralphrame - Sedan - Full C.A.B. Kit - MSP/turbo - Bare/No Finish (WITH BPV and PCV nipples)
6: Circuit - P5 w/ P5 headlights - CAB top only w/o AC cut-out - Anodized Black
7: Hammo - P5 w/P5 headlights - Full Kit - Turbo - 4 inch inlet for GTX30 - Anodized Black..... praying for more people for cheaper price
8: TX Speed Demon - sedan - full kit - turbo - polished
9: rickyfinch-msp-box only- polished. Injen piping?
10:

Last edited:
Thank you sir

I'll do it for you. Put you at #1. If you want the piping and looking for pricing, check the first post and look at the old link.

1:p5_BizNis - P5 head lights. Box only
2: RyanJayG - Sedan - Boosted - 3" inlet - Black anodized box only
3: Perro del Sol - Sedan - box only - Turbo - Anondized Black
4: Circuit - P5 w/ P5 headlights - CAB top only w/o AC cut-out - Anodized Black
5: Hammo - P5 w/P5 headlights - Full Kit - Turbo - 4 inch inlet for GTX30 - Anodized Black..... praying for more people for cheaper price
6: rickyfinch-msp-box only- polished. Injen piping?
7: 3" box msp- jbrewer4639
8: LinuxRacr - sedan - 3 inch piping - turbo - polished only
09: Apowell0224 - MP5 w/ p5 lights, N/A, Polished + piping, red or black couplings
10. gangstagangsta-MSP-Full kit-turbo- polished+black couplers
11. msp14- sedan - Box and pipes - turbo - polished
12. atlracer25 - MSP - Full kit - turbo - polished+black couplers

Mine is gonna have custom piping from box to throttle body. Using parts on hand from other SRI/CAI setups from the big box of intake s*** in the attic. Buncha surmizing, test fitting and trimming this or that to end up with a nice setup.......stay tuned. Waiting on 2 couplers I needed due to the customizing aspect for either side of the MAF in black I didn't have.........have one more pipe to cut the right length then can finish it up. Also need some edge strips for box..........pics forthcoming

Super grainy low res ipad cam spy foto...............

spyfoteaux.JPG

Have to cut bracket off, smooth and then cut pipe off and then MAF will fit right in. Better pics when all is done. Summer '14 makeover faze 1 in progress..............

1:p5_BizNis - P5 head lights. Box only
5: Hammo - P5 w/P5 headlights - Full Kit - Turbo - 4 inch inlet for GTX30 - Anodized Black..... praying for more people for cheaper price
09: Apowell0224 - MP5 w/ p5 lights, N/A, Polished + piping, red or black couplings
13. Mookhaasa - MP5 - full kit - NA- Polished

P5 - Full Kit - NA - Black Anodized

I saw someone bumped your thread back up. I'm not sure if your still making a batch or not but please let me know. I have a 2002 stock P5 for now. I have a 4-2-1 header being built and shipped so its time for intake and cat back system and after looking over AEM and INJEN I know your system is a way better product that will put to bed the fear of hydro-locking, improves inlet air temps and you need to get a patent on it now. Trade mark this mother once you have all your templates done. Design a logo and send it to me and I'll make some decals at work on one of our Gerber thermal graphics machines.

Last edited:
With all of the different options, cost is too high for material and waterjet on a batch of 10. I wouldn't even break even on the old GB pricing. We will need more people to make this happen, so this is going to have to go on the back burner until the demand is up again. Sorry guys.

I'm willing to pay more just because I believe in your product and your a member who I will try to support. I'll be willing to pay $350 or so if needed, do your math ask they others if they mind paying a bit more so you can do more than break even but maybe put a little in your pocket for all your effort.

Keep bumping this for attention and let's see if we can get some more Mazda fans and supporters interested.

Last edited:
Looks like more people are interested :) Keep putting youre name on the list people!! :)

1: P5_BizNis - P5 head lights. Box only
5: Hammo - P5 w/P5 headlights - Full Kit - Turbo - 4 inch inlet for GTX30 - Anodized Black
14. KSteele47 - P5 - Full Kit - NA - Black Anodized

We need to make a decision within the next week or so. I have already paid for my Mazda racing 4-2-1 header and just ordered the Racing Beats cat back exhaust. I expect the exhaust next week and the headers hit a snag because they are waiting for the EGR bung to be manufactured. But I should have them in 2 weeks or so. Hell send me a copy of your plans and I'll make one at work if needed, but I would rather someone who has already dealt with this do it and just allow me to pay them.

We need to make a decision within the next week or so. I have already paid for my Mazda racing 4-2-1 header and just ordered the Racing Beats cat back exhaust. I expect the exhaust next week and the headers hit a snag because they are waiting for the EGR bung to be manufactured. But I should have them in 2 weeks or so. Hell send me a copy of your plans and I'll make one at work if needed, but I would rather someone who has already dealt with this do it and just allow me to pay them.

I doubt a decision will be made in 2 weeks, still need more people to make it work. 20 should be good but its entirely up to 505zoom.
You dont need an intake to finish off youre exhaust straight away, I know youd like to do it at the same time but this GI/GB wont happen
until enough people are keen as previously mentioned. Just gotta be patient and wait for more people to make it viable.

You are right. No matter what I can wait I will just put 400 into savings account and get a cheap ebay intake for 50 until we have enough for a group build. Intake is the easiest thing anyways. I just finished minor engine work and fuel pump on my Silverado 1500HD 6.0L and I'm going to rip into my P5 for a bit.

oooooo, wtf happened here? Finally got a decent pic or 4.................

323F_mtr_01.JPG

323F_mtr_02.JPG

323F_mtr_03.JPG

323F_mtr_04.JPG

......................GLWGB

Last edited:
1: P5_BizNis - P5 head lights. Box only
5: Hammo - P5 w/P5 headlights - Full Kit - Turbo - 4 inch inlet for GTX30 - Anodized Black
14. KSteele47 - P5 - Full Kit - NA - Black Anodized
15. raulgianino - p5 with sedan headlights - non turbo - full kit

I am working on a design change that will make this box work for both sets of headlights, and at that point I should be able to get the price down to as low as it was for the first batch. I will post up progress pics soon.

I just came to post that I loved my box, i finally got it installed a few months ago from the first group buy and its awesome. The coolant relocation mod is so easy. The only issue I had was from my car having been hammered on and messed with before so the lid didn't quite line up. But it matched perfectly before I installed it so just a heads up that if your car has had any collision repair done to the driver side headlight area you may have to use a hammer as an installation tool.

Back