Getting worse - Infotainment restarts multiple times/sluggish when cold

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
Now that the temperatures have dropped, my Infotainment center is acting weird. This used to happen during warranty period too but now I am kicking myself for ignoring it. It got terribly worse now. As long as the temp outside is low (near 4C / 40F) my infotainment screen do not come up and does an automatic restart. In fact, it'll do quite a few of these restarts till the inside cabin temp gets ambient. I have navigation and it also becomes very sluggish.

Anyone know of anything related to this and if something can be done to fix it?

Solution
Hi - after having got the Dexol (as recommended by the original @Buzzman12 post) and completing 3 rounds of cleaning things improved a bit but continues to be extremely sluggish still. After an exhaustive search and subsequently a discussion with the service manager in the local Mazda he recommended I switch out the SD card. I bought this SD card on his recommendation and it took a bit of jujitsu to clone the original but now things have definitely improved. 1 additional thing I did before cloning was to blow compressed air into the slot in the vehicle to have that dust cleaned too.
If I remember correctly, somebody has posted something about this, not to long ago. I don't remember, what was the solution, maybe the SD card connection?!
There are a number of threads on this issue.

My son's Mazda 3 did this. The quickest way to test this is to pop out the Nav SD card. This fixed my son's issue with the cold rebooting. He just left the card out as he uses Google Maps & his car was out of warranty. Others have had the SD card replaced under warranty or cleaned the SD card contacts. Lots of info in those threads.

Upvote 0
I cleaned and also made sure the slot where the SD card goes in is clean too. However, the problem continued. However, looking into the potential solutions caused me to remember something else. The SD Card itself. What Mazda provides. There's a thread on some extreme hiking/mountain forum where someone said after switching to this his problem got solved. I am just thinking cleaning the contacts might be correct and great but perhaps Mazda uses most basic and cheapest SD card.

Upvote 0
I see that you've said that the card and slot have been cleaned have but have you tried completely removing the SD card?

I think I remember seeing a suggestion of completely removing the Nav SD card to determine if that is the problem. With no SD card installed, do your troubles go away or persist?

Upvote 0
yes, some of the older ones were problematic. It was seen more on the 8gb cards. There was a tsb somewhere but since Mazda was so nice to make tsbs paid ones, they are no longer publicly available.

Get the card out and see if the issue happens again.

Upvote 0
I see that you've said that the card and slot have been cleaned have but have you tried completely removing the SD card?

I think I remember seeing a suggestion of completely removing the Nav SD card to determine if that is the problem. With no SD card installed, do your troubles go away or persist?

This was the first thing that I suggested someone do who has issues with the infotainment system. If you read my thread,

(1) Guide: - Infotainment issues? Slow booting? Rebooting? Sluggish performance? | Mazdas247

you'll see that I said,

"If you're having issues the easiest method of determining where the problem is coming from is to, with the car off, eject the Nav SD card from the vehicles card reader and see how the system reacts. Obviously the Nav system will be inoperative with the card removed but you can check to see how fast the system boots without the card present and if music plays properly."

Upvote 0
I cleaned and also made sure the slot where the SD card goes in is clean too. However, the problem continued. However, looking into the potential solutions caused me to remember something else. The SD Card itself. What Mazda provides. There's a thread on some extreme hiking/mountain forum where someone said after switching to this his problem got solved. I am just thinking cleaning the contacts might be correct and great but perhaps Mazda uses most basic and cheapest SD card.

Cleaned how?

I see that some folks have reported success cleaning the contacts with isopropyl alcohol. I don't recommend this as alcohol is not a good contact cleaner at all. Plus alcohol doesn't protect the contacts from becoming oxidized again.

Upvote 0
Now that the temperatures have dropped, my Infotainment center is acting weird. This used to happen during warranty period too but now I am kicking myself for ignoring it. It got terribly worse now. As long as the temp outside is low (near 4C / 40F) my infotainment screen do not come up and does an automatic restart. In fact, it'll do quite a few of these restarts till the inside cabin temp gets ambient. I have navigation and it also becomes very sluggish.

Anyone know of anything related to this and if something can be done to fix it

Anyone know of anything related to this and if something can be done to fix it?
I myself had this same issue with my 2016 Mazda CX5. The solution is to replace the Navigation SD card.

Luckily it was under warranty. It was a pain to get the dealership to replace it though, had to comeback multiple times, as they said they needed to perform firmware updates to the infotainment system before they could replace the card. Even though its a known issue all over many forums on the web.

Upvote 0
there is/was a TSB. your dealer was probably lazy to search for it .
At least you also got the up to date infotainment version for free :)

Upvote 0
I hadn't yet seen where @bmninada has responded that they removed the SD card and was prompting them once again as you and others have repeatedly suggested.
This same infotainment complaint and resulting thread came up not that long ago from a different user.
Two pages of helpful ideas went out to help the OP, and despite multiple requests for feedback from said OP......crickets.
It's frustrating when Original Posters just disappear after coming here looking for help. Sigh..

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
This same infotainment complaint and resulting thread came up not that long ago from a different user.
Two pages of helpful ideas went out to help the OP, and despite multiple requests for feedback from said OP......crickets.
It's frustrating when Original Posters just disappear after coming here looking for help. Sigh..

I know right! It happens time and time again, and not just on this forum.

A person goes out of their way to help someone, giving advise and suggestions to help with their issues and what does it get you? Nothing!

A simple thank you would suffice, even better would be a thank you and some feedback on whether or not your suggestions helped them solve their problem(s).

Common curtesy is like common sense, both are not all that common.

Upvote 0
offtopic, make people pay 1$ for every question or 50 cents for existing and you will see difference in quality :)
Some are happy to pay crazy prices to dealers for getting stupid answers anyway.

Upvote 0
I know right! It happens time and time again, and not just on this forum.

A person goes out of their way to help someone, giving advise and suggestions to help with their issues and what does it get you? Nothing!

A simple thank you would suffice, even better would be a thank you and some feedback on whether or not your suggestions helped them solve their problem(s).

Common curtesy is like common sense, both are not all that common.

I'm usually a little skeptical about posters whose first post is an issue and never follows up.
How often are those really issues, or just someone from a different company racking up complaint posts about competitors so when someone searches online, it looks like a poor quality product.

In this case, I see bmninada has been around since 2015 and has 1000+ posts, so I wound error on the safe side of saying that this is a legit post.

Just my $0.0275.

Upvote 0
Back