Gear Indicator Plastic Cover

I scanned some posts and wasn't able to find too much on this but feel free to guide me to any relevant posts.

I bought a 2016 GT a couple weeks back and have been working on little upgrades. I want to replace or polish up the plastic cover on the gear indicator by the shifter. It's just a bit scratched up. Same goes for the clear cover on the instrument panel. Looks like the previous owner tossed their keys onto the steering column all the time or something.

I think I found an oem one for around $90 but when I look for cheaper knock offs I can't find anything.

Anyone find a cheap one or have any suggestions on polishing up the existing one?

The part number I found is KA0H64350. I'm not even certain this is the right part number either. I attached a photo as well.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20200627_074823.jpg
    IMG_20200627_074823.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 337
I would not waste money on replacing them, as your new ones will start to look like that in short order.

Plastic polish is your friend here. There are several makers available, I would recommend the ones that are 2 or 3 steps of polish to get maximum results. (think of something for like repairing a scratched CD) Meguiars, Mothers, Plexus, Nexus, are some of the ones I can think of.

If you want to be a little more precise you can use some of the blue masking tape to tape off the areas you don't want to get the Polish on .

My choice of steps on polishing paints and plastic is to always start with the least aggressive and see if that does the trick, if not , then move up to the next aggressive step and try again.

Since you provided such a good before picture I hope you can show us a good after picture to and update us with your choice.

I couldn't quite tell but it looks like that piece pops off pretty easy. I may end up leaving it in place and masking it though.

Definitely! Not sure when I'll get around to it but I'll definitely post the after pics.

I couldn't quite tell but it looks like that piece pops off pretty easy. I may end up leaving it in place and masking it though.

Definitely! Not sure when I'll get around to it but I'll definitely post the after pics.
Hoping that this piano black plastic thing is a very short fad it is not my favorite interior trim choice.

I like it but it's not a practical choice in higher wear areas. I think the previous owner was a bit rough with the car though. There's significant scratches on the cluster cover and all 4 door handles on the outside.

I like it but it's not a practical choice in higher wear areas. I think the previous owner was a bit rough with the car though. There's significant scratches on the cluster cover and all 4 door handles on the outside.
Same thing with attack in the exterior scratches start with a very light polish cleaner wax and if that doesn't clean up your scratches you can go with a more aggressive Polishing Compound

Easy peasy! I did use a basic wax and it definitely helped a bit but it needs a little more love.

It's like someone wore rings on all their fingers and then opened every door a bunch lol

Not sure how noticeable it will be in those images. It's not the handle itself. The inside bits.

Attachments

• IMG_20200627_074727.jpg
    IMG_20200627_074727.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 201
I would not waste money on replacing them, as your new ones will start to look like that in short order.

Plastic polish is your friend here. There are several makers available, I would recommend the ones that are 2 or 3 steps of polish to get maximum results. (think of something for like repairing a scratched CD) Meguiars, Mothers, Plexus, Nexus, are some of the ones I can think of.

I've heard great things about Novus as well (though I think it may be more expensive). I've used Meguiars Plastx with a small 3" polishing pad attachment for my handheld drill to polish out some scratches in an acrylic aquarium I have at home, and it worked well. I would do something similar, but with a smaller pad, or just do it by hand. Definitely a good idea to mask areas off in order to make cleanup much easier.

For the cluster plastic, I'd do the same thing. Just try not to use too much pressure (just in case).

Back