Gauging interest: high-load stock height rear springs for the 5?

phunky.buddha

Booga Booga?
:
DFW TX
:
No mo MZ5 want MX5
The other day, I thought I had seen a post about wanting a heavier rear spring that would keep the 5 more level when carrying heavy loads but without lowering the car. Would there be interest in a pair of springs like this? I have a local shop that specializes in suspension and likes to measure OE springs for kicks, so it would be relatively easy (with some time and money of course) for me to develop a spring spec that would be significantly stiffer than stock to prevent sagging under load but still hold the rear of the car at the stock ride height (or just take out the factory rake). One of the side benefits would be a reduction in understeer from having a stiffer rear spring, and possibly only needing to swap out the rear springs to level out the car.

Would there be interest in something like this?

They would cost similar to a set of cheapo drop springs, depending on where I'm able to source a set from- I'm hoping under $200. If I use the same brand as what I have on my S2000, it's going to be $300 a set. Not gonna happen. :)

For <$200, I think I would definitely be interested. Looking for a before-tax rebate time frame, since I would want to do tires, brakes and alignment all the day my check from all my taxpayer buddies out there shows up.

Gotcha. I've already taken the stock springs to get rates measured- just have to play with them back on the car (and a guy at work if he'll let me on his 5) before ordering up a trial set to test out.

How about shocks with helper overload springs for the back?
They don't have to be rated that much. 300lbs or so.

Yeah me too. Let us know and keep us updated.
:)
How about shocks with helper overload springs for the back?
They don't have to be rated that much. 300lbs or so.
You mean in addition to the stock spring? You'd have to weld on a new perch... don't really want to do that. It's easier to just stuff a heavier spring in there.

This week's pretty busy- hopefully I can get the rear end of the wife's car apart sometime next week and get some measurements done... if I'm not flying out to talk to the government about stuff. :(

I have the stock springs measured- just have to get them back onto the car and take a few more measurements. Parents are in this weekend, so it's not going to happen right now. Maybe during the week after they leave- it's been crazy lately with my wife finishing her master's capstone project (turned in today).

I have the stock springs measured- just have to get them back onto the car and take a few more measurements. Parents are in this weekend, so it's not going to happen right now. Maybe during the week after they leave- it's been crazy lately with my wife finishing her master's capstone project (turned in today).

Congrats to having a Master in the house. I am beginning my Masters project this month. Its been a looooong 2012.

Congrats to having a Master in the house. I am beginning my Masters project this month. Its been a looooong 2012.
Congratulations! This is actually her second master's- MA came first, this one's an MS. She'll start her PhD after I get my MBA.

Gotcha. I've already taken the stock springs to get rates measured- just have to play with them back on the car (and a guy at work if he'll let me on his 5) before ordering up a trial set to test out.
Hey phunky, could you share the stock spring rates? You only measured the rear spring, correct?

:)

You mean in addition to the stock spring? You'd have to weld on a new perch... don't really want to do that. It's easier to just stuff a heavier spring in there....(

That's what air helper springs are for - http://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Firestone/F4168.html

I think this would be a better alternative than a persistently stiff rear end. As a teenager I had for a short time a 1980 Ford Fairmont wagon that had these factory. Kind of neat to watch the tail end just lift right up to where it should be while you add air. Didn't take but a few PSI.

Back