Gas gauge stays at 1/3, even after filling up, need help (2016 CX-5)

So got a 2016 Mazda cx5 used, saw the gas gauge wasn't moving stayed at 1/3 and range at 71 mils even after filling it up. Mechanic told its was a fuel pump issue, look it up saw it's a easy fix. Installed the new fuel pump myself(save me $400) Still the same issue. Seeking help on this one... saw there no recall.

Im pretty sure the fuel pump is in the gas tank and has the float attached - so thats all new - I can only guess and say its the gauge - If its analogue the digital may read off of that - I would imagine thats not an easy access part either -- Easiest and least expensive first - hope you get it squared away -

So got a 2016 Mazda cx5 used, saw the gas gauge wasn't moving stayed at 1/3 and range at 71 mils even after filling it up. Mechanic told its was a fuel pump issue, look it up saw it's a easy fix. Installed the new fuel pump myself(save me $400) Still the same issue. Seeking help on this one... saw there no recall.
Fuel pump has nothing to do with fuel gauge. It’s fuel gauge sending unit in the fuel tank, a variable resister which send out the signal based on the float height. Most likely the sending unit is the culprit which causes your problem. See the #2 or #3 in the parts diagram depending on FWD / AWD and turbo / non turbo:

8C3AC21C-321C-4747-9C6D-7B840F67BE9E.gif

BFBF6E2F-C6F7-41B6-BB6D-3024E7F71A9D.gif

F9097D08-9353-4D76-B220-1FB3A500244E.png

Based on my experience using the good gas (top-tier gasoline) would prevent damaging the variable resister on the fuel gauge sending unit.

Fuel pump has nothing to do with fuel gauge. It’s fuel gauge sending unit in the fuel tank, a variable resister which send out the signal based on the float height. Most likely the sending unit is the culprit which causes your problem. See the #2 or #3 in the parts diagram depending on FWD / AWD and turbo / non turbo:

View attachment 322073

View attachment 322074

View attachment 322075

Based on my experience using the good gas (top-tier gasoline) would prevent damaging the variable resister on the fuel gauge sending unit.
That makes sense - but the question is ..is the fuel pump and float sold as one unit - thus all those parts are new since the pump is new ? Never had a 16 so ?

That makes sense - but the question is ..is the fuel pump and float sold as one unit - thus all those parts are new since the pump is new ? Never had a 16 so ?
You can buy the whole OEM sending unit with fuel filters、float、and pump (#1), or you can buy fuel pump only (#4). If you replaced the fuel pump by yourself, you should know.

It might have been a good idea to test the old (and new) float before replacing it or putting things back together.
With the float (new or old) out of the tank, turn on the ignition, and move the float up and down by hand. Watch the fuel gauge while doing that. The gauge should move in unison with the float. If it doesn't, then go from there.

Wow this community really awesome, thank you all, imma relook at the fuel pump again and see, at 1st I was about to unplug the battery for 20 mins to reset the whole car( saw someone said it) but I relook at it thanks guys!!!

Back