Galaxy S3 text message readout issue

j3rmz

So I have my S3 paired to my 2014 cx5 gt with tech package. It used to read my text message out loud to me after I received them and hit the little speaker button, but it stopped working for some reason. I already tried to un-pair, 'forget' the device, and re-paired the device and still the same thing. Any thoughts?

I dont have any solution for you sorry, but I have the same problem!

Used to read SMS from my Samsung s3 via the infotainment system but suddenly this does not work anymore. The display will pop up with a new SMS received and will offer to download it. After this is completed I see the new SMS in the list, but I cannot read or play it. The SMS just blink a second.

Same that happens to your setup?

I have factory reset the s3 and the infotainment system but this did not solve the issue. Very weird.

I've had this happen to me three times so far. I posted a video about it a couple months ago too. The way I've fixed it is as follows:

1. Tell the car to forget the phone and erase the phone book, etc.
2. Unpair Mazda from the blue tooth profile on the phone.
3. Turn the car off. Wait a few minutes. Turn it back on.
4. Put the phone in blue tooth pairing mode, as well as the car.
5. Set up as normal after confirming the passkey:
A. On the phone
a. check the "Don't ask me again" boxes and say okay to accessing contacts and MAP.
B. On the car
a. download phone book
6. Go to the messages tab and download messages. When it gives a warning about marking them all read say okay.
7. Try viewing and then playing a message.

From what I can tell the issue happens when you try to play a message while you are streaming audio via blue tooth over 4g.
I had the issue happen the other day, and just confirmed that the above steps worked to resolve it again for me.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Last edited:
I've had this happen to me three times so far. I posted a video about it a couple months ago too. The way I've fixed it is as follows:

A. On the phone
a. check the "Don't ask me again" boxes and say okay to accessing contacts and MAP.
B. On the car
a. download phone book
6. Go to the messages tab and download messages. When it gives a warning about marking them all read say okay.

From what I can tell the issue happens when you try to play a message while you are streaming audio via blue tooth over 4g.
I had the issue happen the other day, and just confirmed that the above steps worked to resolve it again for me.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Thank you so much for posting this!! It worked for me!! After googling the answer for 2 days, I am glad I found this forum and the solution to the bluetooth text message issue.

Helpful, thanks, but how is it explained that the email & SMS messaging system worked fine for about two weeks on both my two new 2014 Mazda6's (with a BlackBerry 9900) and then both stopped working? Thanks.

Helpful, thanks, but how is it explained that the email & SMS messaging system worked fine for about two weeks on both my two new 2014 Mazda6's (with a BlackBerry 9900) and then both stopped working? Thanks.

Did you use BT Audio at all? That seems to be the issue for me - getting a text message while streaming BT audio tends to hose up the system IF you click "read message". If you dismiss it, it usually continues to work correctly.

Chris

Thank you so much for posting this!! It worked for me!! After googling the answer for 2 days, I am glad I found this forum and the solution to the bluetooth text message issue.

You are welcome! I certainly know how annoying it is. Frankly I haven't even fixed it for the past two months after it happened the last time.

Did you use BT Audio at all? That seems to be the issue for me - getting a text message while streaming BT audio tends to hose up the system IF you click "read message". If you dismiss it, it usually continues to work correctly.

Chris

Hello Chris, I followed your instructions to the tee today on both my Mazda6s and the issue got corrected on both cars. Thanks for posting that solution. Now let's hope they stay working properly (we'll see, both systems worked perfectly for the first two weeks that I had each car and then stopped working. Weird!). And to answer your question, no, I wasn't using BT Audio when I noticed they stopped working, for music I usually use Pandora, or just listen to Sirius XM, CD, or FM/AM, but rarely use BT Audio for music (just the phone). Thanks again, dude!

This worked for me. But now when I send a text message it tells me it failed but it always sends.....

My Samsung galaxy y even fails to connect every time, and isn't capable of reading messages.

So I've ditched the dam thing because it was driving me mad trying to connect while driving etc.

Now I use a HTC wildfire S, connects ever time and reads all text and emails.

So maybe its a Samsung thing? Either way my next phone will be a HTC.

A. On the phone
B. On the car
a. download phone book

Hope this helps.

Chris

Chris - What phone do you have and what android version? I just purchased my 2014 CX5 GT and I can't get the text message part to work. I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 Version 4.3.

Just tried this and it worked!! I also made sure to delete any text messages that had emoji icons in it just to be on the safe side.

Chris - What phone do you have and what android version? I just purchased my 2014 CX5 GT and I can't get the text message part to work. I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 Version 4.3.

I have an S3 with 4.4.2 - and after the umpteenth time of this happening I just stopped trying to reset it, and no longer have the car try to read out messages. I still get alerted that a message has come in, but I no longer try to get it to read it out. There definitely was an issue after one of the Android updates, so I am not even certain if I can get it to work at all at this point.

Bluetooth Audio still works just fine though, as does hands free calling.

Hello Chris, I followed your instructions to the tee today on both my Mazda6s and the issue got corrected on both cars. Thanks for posting that solution. Now let's hope they stay working properly (we'll see, both systems worked perfectly for the first two weeks that I had each car and then stopped working. Weird!). And to answer your question, no, I wasn't using BT Audio when I noticed they stopped working, for music I usually use Pandora, or just listen to Sirius XM, CD, or FM/AM, but rarely use BT Audio for music (just the phone). Thanks again, dude!

Just as an FYI, Pandora uses BT audio.

But, does it stay fixed, or only for a couple days, then stops working again??

FWIW have had this same issue (downloaded message display/readout working fine and suddenly stopped) for a few months. Finally spent some time troubleshooting today and these steps worked! This is after deleting all messages on my phone to ensure there are no emoticons, unpairing, resetting, and trying all other suggestions seen elsewhere online. Follow these steps and say goodbye to the issue. For how long I don't know as I also listen to Pandora in my car. If I get a text message while listening in the future, I am going to choose to download later (when done with Pandora) and hope the problem never returns. Thanks again, Chris!

Latest posts

Back