Fuel economy example

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD
My 2017 CX-5 GT AWD gets pretty good MPG..if I'm careful with it. This was from a round trip I made yesterday. Mostly highway. I tried to not go over 65 mph. (There was some road construction that limited me to 55 mph for about 12 miles.) I've actually gotten a little better than this before when it wasn't as warm and didn't have to run the A/C.
b67d4209db04c3cfe826928f8fd16f7b.jpg

I did a round trip of 260 km day before and yesterday, driving mostly at 110km/hour and the average came to 7.5 litres per 100km. It is the best so far.

Be careful relying on the computer mpg estimates. Mine is consistently under when you divide gas used divided by miles. Then again I only have 1,500 miles so far and not fully broken in yet

Then you shouldn't be giving advice yet Mr. 1,500. Lol j/k
I tracked my gas usds for over 6 months and it was withing .1 mpg the entire time.
Not a typo.
I 100% trust the computer.

Then you shouldn't be giving advice yet Mr. 1,500. Lol j/k
I tracked my gas usds for over 6 months and it was withing .1 mpg the entire time.
Not a typo.
I 100% trust the computer.
I've been tracking it on fuelly and it hasn't lined up with the computer. More often than not the computer is giving me a higher number than reality.

One note on that is there is no partial mile tracking with our odometer so there is some margin of error with fuelly because of that.

I don't track at all. Car gets better gas mileage than my old car 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

That's all I need to know. I enjoy the drive.. (drive)

I tracked my mpg when I drove from San Antonio, TX, to Portland, OR. I was within 1/2 mpg of the computer. Which really could of just been the difference in the last fill up. So I trust the read out.

I've been tracking it on fuelly and it hasn't lined up with the computer. More often than not the computer is giving me a higher number than reality.

One note on that is there is no partial mile tracking with our odometer so there is some margin of error with fuelly because of that.

Pumps vary as do methods of re-fueling. Hence, a "fill up" often is never the same.

Right On !! If you have to track your mpg that much maybe you should of bought a Prius.

Tracking the mileage helped on my old 2004 Mazda 6 as there was a sudden rise to double the fuel consumption due to a faulty turbo. The fuel computer reading in the car was litres per mile which was a nonsense so I had monitor the manual way. As fuel is so expensive in the UK you have no choice but to monitor it. Can be 1.50 a litre in some rural areas.

My on-board computer tracks so close to the calculated that I don'r brother calculating any more. Ed

Did a 100 km (62 mile trip) last weekend with myself and a passenger onboard. 62 km (38 miles) was on the motorway with speeds varying from 80-110km/h (49.7-68.35mph) with atleast 3 fixed speed cameras (set at 80km/h [49.7mph] & 100km/h [62mph]).

Achieved combined figure below which equates to 33.60 USMPG which I am satisifed with (it was under the official figure of 7.4 L/100KM [31.79 USMPG]):

1pw8w3.jpg

Last edited:
Pumps vary as do methods of re-fueling. Hence, a "fill up" often is never the same.

Which is why the most accurate calculation is total pumped over as many fill-ups as possible if you don't trust the computer, never just one.

I usually do 4-5 full fill ups and compared that average calculation to my dash value. The differences values ranges from -.21 to .33 mpg. Ed

I trust the computer. I’ve found it to be within a couple of tenths or so different from calculating manually. I consider that within a margin of error.

Overall my total average for both city and highway is now 29mpg. I am getting 33 plus easily on the highway and hit just over 36 on one recent drive. Considering that most of my trips are under 10 miles I think this is excellent.

It was commented on way back when that the EPA estimates were conservative for this engine.

Back