FS-ZE or Turbo???

afrey2002

Contributor
Should I drop a new engine or get the TKT turbo? what are the up's to the engine, and to the turbo?

TKT is not known for the best reliability, however I have no experience with them. I would say FS-ZE if you want power soon or wait for an another turbo option. I would go turbo if I were you.

Dustin

Here is my question how reliable is a turbo, what I mean is how much maintenance is involved with a turbo. Like rehgt after it is in, and also annual maintenance.

Why not do both? It's not like the FS-ZE has extremely high compression like a an Acura ITR so who says you can't boost it.

Yes you have to remember though most the guys who have a turbo on the ITR also have upgraded their internals. I have heard of some ITRs blowing engines cause they didn't do forged internals.

I personally think the turbo if having to choose would be better performance wise. Help me out here tho guys....wouldn't it be better if you were going to go the with turbo to get forged replacements regardless.....I'm clueless but how much does that even cost?

As soon as whatever turbo kit I get is ordered, I will have forged all internals, so theres not a problem with that, however I've here'd that the turbo kit's won't fit on the FS-ZE engine, any word on that???

A little off topic but would the FS-ZE egine and things like the FS-ZE intake camshaft and intake manifold pass California smog?

afrey2002 said:
As soon as whatever turbo kit I get is ordered, I will have forged all internals, so theres not a problem with that, however I've here'd that the turbo kit's won't fit on the FS-ZE engine, any word on that???

A little off topic but would the FS-ZE egine and things like the FS-ZE intake camshaft and intake manifold pass California smog?

Who cares about smog....hehe:D Jus playin. I see the concern with smog because it would be great to be able to pass. But just having a JDM motor in your car in Cali automatically fails you. Of course, the only way smog tech would know is if you told him straight out. If you had to take your car to a state ref however, you would definately fail since they know where to look for engine names a codes. A simple glance at the letters on the block of the motor would reveal the FS-ZE stamp, and I'm sure they'd know that the MP3 uses a FS-DE. They have computers to tell them what motors come in twhat cars. So, I guess I'm saying if you're planning on doing any serious work to your motor, you should give up trying to pass smog. Of course everyone has their preferences. I don't really care about smog since our MP3's would be the last cars to get pulled over. I haven't yet.

Jeremy D. , Jeremy T. and I all have the FS-ZE engine. Jeremy has passed SMOG in his state, and I think that I would pass here in Texas maybe. I understand that California has stricter standards. The FS-ZE has given me some serious get up and go!:D When I punch it, its like un-corking some serious whup ass. It even sounds different. The whine of the engine is more high-pitched, and the MHP CAI only enhances this! All I need now is that Bosal Cat-back.....You out there Reshie?

Well here in California it's really strict, and it woulden't bother me except that there are traps around here, I heard they have strips set up across the road that if a car not passing smog drives over it, it sends a notification to the police. The only one I know of is right next to a Starbucks. I want to put FS-ZE parts in my car but I don't want to get it impounded.

Use the money for the FS-ZE and put forged internals in your FS then put a turbo on it and see more power than you would ever see with an FS-ZE Forged internals on the FS and your good for 12+ PSI closer to 15 TKT, yeah yeah i know, made 365 WHP on 18 PSI with forged internals on a Probe 2.0 just to give you an idea of power.

Damn that sounds tight, are you saying using the TKT turbo though? I got a crap load of cash from an insurance settlement, so I have enough money to get either and forge all internals.

I just got an e-mail back from corksport and they said that the FS-ZE engine can pass smog if I want it to, he said by tuning the cats, how do I tune my cats, and I heard if I get headers it does away with the first one anyway.

DO not use the TKT kit I would rather build you a custom kit than see you use that piece of crap. lol anyways just get forged internals and get a good shop to make you a turbo kit and you will be golden.

All this talk of forged internals and you might begin to think that you have to run forged internals if you turbo your car. And that is just not true. Yes forged internals are good, but they aren't always needed. You can turbo a motor with higher compression, you'll just have to do more tuning, which will help the life of the turbo'd motor anyway. XS Engineering turbo the Celica GTS and that motor has extremely high compression. I've also had the privelidge of meeting some turbo'd ITR owners back in Michigan and they didn't have forged internals nor did they lower their compression via head gasket. They just made sure that the car was finely tuned on pumped gas, which in Michigan is as high as 94 octane (lucky bastards) and retarded the ignition accordingly. Anyway, for those guys out there who want to turbo their MP3, P5's or proteges, don't lose any sleep off of not having forged internals. You will be fine without them, just tune your car properly. Forged internals aren't going to be cheap, especially for a car doesn't have any on the market. Just my .02 cents.

True Forged internals are not nessicary I was just saying if you have the cash to do it go ahead and run some higher boost levels and see some awesome power...but yes you are right for low boost Apps up to around 8PSI forged internals are not nessicary. Above that you are risking it on the F engine IMO. If you want to go higher go ahead and then we can see the limits of our engines..My setup is runnign fine on 5PSI non-intercooled so a 7-8PSI intercooled would be fine I think. I'm going forged internals soon though so I can bump it up to about 12-15 PSI.

Well when I go turbo (or supercharger) It will be intercooled and I want to run high boost so I have to forge the internals, I know we can run up to 8psi but I'm thinking 13-15, I have the money so It'll all be done at the same time.

Back