Frozen caliper slide - are rebuilt MSP calipers available?

MrDiggler

Contributor
:
Spicy MSP #1349, '88 323 GTX, '79 10th Ann. T/A, 462 ci 4-spd
The non-bolted caliper slide on my R front is nearly seized. I can swing the caliper apart just far enough to swap the pads, but it won't slide side-to-side apart far enough to get the new pads over the rotor. I figure I should just replace the caliper. I searched for info, but didn't find much. It appears that a new OEM caliper is out of the question because of the price. I've searched some of the major parts stores online and the results are very unclear that the calipers will fit the MSP.

Has anyone purchased rebuilt MSP calipers? If so, please tell me where so I get the right part the first time around. BTW, I'm only planning to replace the one side. The L side seems to be just fine. Thanks.

have the same problem but the left rear, and your right way to much at the dealer. advanced auto parts sells the bracket but not the caliper. i found a place called rockauto.com and they have them think it cost 175 for a complete one. and then a 75 core charge, still havent installed it yet but i do beleive it is the right one.

oriellys have them for like 75 bucks. for either front or rear. theres 2 rear calipers left in the states going for 400 something at mazda.

Talked to a guy at my local O'Reilly's. They do have a listing for the caliper for my car. Availability looked spotty and he's going to call me back. I also had him look up the '01 626 V6 caliper. He said the part #'s were different and that they did not look the same in the pictures. Sigh...I just want my car back on the road.

Usually I go on google and click on shoppIng and i go from there I always make sure to type a brand because if not then you'll get the suckiest parts... Recently I purchased my headlight reg. Price 260 on eBay. Google shopping 133.. A link to amazon.. I bought lowering springs . On eBay 160$ . Google shopping 102$ s&h included .a link to Upscale Automotive LLC. With signature service and all. So look out for that . Make sure you do a research before buying..

I had my driver rear caliper completely seize on me. cheapest I could find at local parts stores was over $500. I ended up just taking the caliper apart (hammer was key lol), used 1500 grit sandpaper to clean up the slides and small wire brush to clean inside of where slide goes. Re-grease and put back together and it works mint.

No need to waste money on a new caliper.

I've used what I posted to order rotors, pads and caliper rebuild kits. I learned the hardway after taking stuff back when trusting the counter help. Agree on no need to waste money on a new caliper.

Advanced found me a rebuilt unit for $65. About to go pick it up. I hope it's the correct part. Thanks for all the advice.

Still no luck. The unit from Advanced was the caliper only, as someone mentioned earlier and I didn't catch. I didn't realize that the other part of the caliper was the "mounting bracket" that wasn't included. Several of us used the bench vise and a hammer to try and get my old caliper/bracket apart, but that slide won't budge. If I can get it apart and clean and regrease the slide, I won't need the new caliper. I left it with a buddy who owns a machine shop. He thinks he might be able to get it apart for me. I hope so. What a f-ing ordeal this has been. This is why I never screwed with brakes, I guess.

Still no luck. The unit from Advanced was the caliper only, as someone mentioned earlier and I didn't catch. I didn't realize that the other part of the caliper was the "mounting bracket" that wasn't included. Several of us used the bench vise and a hammer to try and get my old caliper/bracket apart, but that slide won't budge. If I can get it apart and clean and regrease the slide, I won't need the new caliper. I left it with a buddy who owns a machine shop. He thinks he might be able to get it apart for me. I hope so. What a f-ing ordeal this has been. This is why I never screwed with brakes, I guess.

I have gotten caliper parts from AAP before, hell I was the manager for them for 7 year. The main issue is probably that the saleman doen't know the system well enough to get the right parts, even the manager. There are seemingly unlimited resources for parts like what you need, you probably need to talk to the Commercial Parts Pro.....in general, they know how to get things.

On a completely different note, I see you have an '88 gtx, if you ever want to get rid of it lmk, I would be interested in giving you an offer you cant resist! ;-)

You can obtain brake parts by using 01 626 V6 for front 04 6 for rear parts. Calipers may not be painted the same silver color but you can fix that with a can of duplicor high heat silver which matches well.

This is fact because it's how I replaced mine. The only difference was color which didn't matter because mine got sprayed orange!!

Now has the 04 6 rear been confirmed??? Any Particular model??
The reason I ask is because the Mz6 and MS6 are the big brake kit and what I've dubbed as the bigger brake kit upgrades for the MSP fronts but the rears have had issues with the E-brake.....

This is fact because it's how I replaced mine. The only difference was color which didn't matter because mine got sprayed orange!!

Now has the 04 6 rear been confirmed??? Any Particular model??
The reason I ask is because the Mz6 and MS6 are the big brake kit and what I've dubbed as the bigger brake kit upgrades for the MSP fronts but the rears have had issues with the E-brake.....

Yeah I had to get Mazda 6 rear pads because the stock regular protege pads are not even the same shape.

Back