2016~2023 Front Passenger Side Brake Squealing When Hot

:
2016 CX-9 Signature/2015 CX-5 Touring/2013 MX-5 GT PRHT
This is on a 2016 CX-9 with 34k miles. Noise doesn't happen when cold. When the pads are warmed up after driving 15-20 minutes with normal use, the noise begin to happen when applying brakes at low speeds like 30 mph or less until car is stopped. There is a squeal like noise coming from the front passenger side... I took a look at the pad materials on the inner and outer side and they look decent with no indication of uneven wear.

I am thinking it could be lack of grease on shims or caliper slider pins. Anyone else experience this and what the resolution was?

Had same noise with our 2017 at 12K miles. I took front brakes apart and lubed pins, shims and tabs with grease. they were quiet for only 1k miles. Took to dealer and they replaced front pads with "reformulated pads" under warranty.
No problems since, now with 29k.

I just finished doing the same thing on my front pads.

Had to turn the wheels and get a breaker bar on this beast. Forgot dual piston calipers are torqued more.

I will see how it goes... The slider pins had barely any grease on them... Just a small dab at the tip of the pins. I have my fingers crossed hoping this small job will give me more than 1k miles...

I am almost out of bumper to bumper warranty too and since the issue is related to brake pads, the dealership will likely give me the wear and tear lecture and that it's normal noise because of the pad material.

I recommend Sil Glyde high temp siliconized grease for your caliper pins. It was a game changer for my CX-9 and works miracles. Just my opinion. I found it on some forums and bought some for a brake change, and on my next brake change. Also using on my other car. Great results and lasts a lot longer that any other grease I know of.

So my front passenger brake pads decided to squeal again. The fix only lasted a day. Stubborn as I am, over the weekend, decided to take another stab at fixing this issue and if it fails, get new pads. There is a TSB for this issue that suggest the cause is due to the chamfer design wearing down to the point that squealing gets generated

I decided to take the pads out again. This time, I took 220-grit silicon carbide sandpaper mounted onto a block and hand sand the top arc of the pad material to create a minor bevel. I also sanded the trailing and leading chamfer edges so that the existing bevel is a bit deeper and longer. On visual check of the pad, it's obvious where the existing bevel is wearing down to near flatness. Didn't see any glazing but decided to just sand a few passes on the flat side as well. Finally, I cleaned and wiped the rotors, stainless steel shims/heat spreader, and pad material down with brake cleaner and then spread fresh Permatex ceramic brake grease over the brake pad's backing plate. So far it has been noise free, working great, and lasting longer than a day.

It looks like Advics supply the OEM brake pads. So probably when these do need replacement the Advics AD1258 would be a half the price alternative to the OEM part from the Mazda dealerships.

Back