Found some damage/scrapes to the front lip of our CX-5

SilverCX-5

2021.5 CX-5 GT Silver
We found some damage/scrapes to the front lip on our CX5. Never saw the accident, and I figured someone swiped it while parallel parking.

The front lip is painted plastic and the passenger side got crushed a little, it is hard to see on the 1st picture but the gap between the lip and the hood is narrower.

We had an at fault damage claim with our insurance in May and we are thinking to do this repair DIY so it will not impact our coverage.

The nose piece appeared to attach to the front by some plastic pins, we may want to order a replacement and install it ourselves.

Has anyone done this before and if any special tools required. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Attachments

• cx5 damage2.jpg
    cx5 damage2.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 206
  • cx5 damage 1.jpg
    cx5 damage 1.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 191
You might well be able to repair it more cheaply than buying a new part, since you'll have to paint it anyway. Find a good body shop and ask them. They can do wonders with heat and (possibly) flexible filler.

Upvote 0
You might well be able to repair it more cheaply than buying a new part, since you'll have to paint it anyway. Find a good body shop and ask them. They can do wonders with heat and (possibly) flexible filler.
I though it could not be repair but what you posted reminded me videos of door dent repairs with suction tools. I will visit a body shop as you said.

Thank you all for your input.

Upvote 0
You can find them on Ebay under Mazda CX5 Grille Moulding for as little as 66 bucks, some sellers offer paint matching as well.

Upvote 0
You can find them on Ebay under Mazda CX5 Grille Moulding for as little as 66 bucks, some sellers offer paint matching as well.
If you don't mind and have a few minutes to provide me with a link. I have been searching but only found the front lip cover, nothing as a direct replacement.

Upvote 0
If you don't mind and have a few minutes to provide me with a link. I have been searching but only found the front lip cover, nothing as a direct replacement.
Here is one: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Most seem to be in the 125-150 range and say "paint to match" so I don't believe they come prepainted. The good thing is you could take the part to the bodyshop and have them paint it for you away from your car so there isn't any over spray and you continue to drive your car rather that it sitting at a shop for days/weeks. Then you can swap it out at your leisure.

Upvote 0
Here is one: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Most seem to be in the 125-150 range and say "paint to match" so I don't believe they come prepainted. The good thing is you could take the part to the bodyshop and have them paint it for you away from your car so there isn't any over spray and you continue to drive your car rather that it sitting at a shop for days/weeks. Then you can swap it out at your leisure.
Looking at the link now. Thanks for taking the time to write this post.

Upvote 0
One of the rear hook covers on my Soul Red Crystal CX-5 fell out. I found a place that paints to match, something like $80 for the little square. The match was poor, I sent it back and they did it again. Even worse.

Eventually found cheap ones from China posted for under $20. Ordered one, and it matches perfectly.

Upvote 0
One of the rear hook covers on my Soul Red Crystal CX-5 fell out. I found a place that paints to match, something like $80 for the little square. The match was poor, I sent it back and they did it again. Even worse.

Eventually found cheap ones from China posted for under $20. Ordered one, and it matches perfectly.
You could have brought one from the dealership for like $10 I did for my soul red 2016 GT Mazda 6

Upvote 0
We found some damage/scrapes to the front lip on our CX5. Never saw the accident, and I figured someone swiped it while parallel parking.

The front lip is painted plastic and the passenger side got crushed a little, it is hard to see on the 1st picture but the gap between the lip and the hood is narrower.

We had an at fault damage claim with our insurance in May and we are thinking to do this repair DIY so it will not impact our coverage.

The nose piece appeared to attach to the front by some plastic pins, we may want to order a replacement and install it ourselves.

Has anyone done this before and if any special tools required. I would appreciate your thoughts.
Have you managed to fix it? I'm wondering whether this molding can be removed without removing the entire bumper. On YouTube videos, where people replace the grille, they say that this upper part has also some clips hidden underneath.

Upvote 0
Have you managed to fix it? I'm wondering whether this molding can be removed without removing the entire bumper. On YouTube videos, where people replace the grille, they say that this upper part has also some clips hidden underneath.
Something else happened to our CX-5 while we were still evaluating if the nose could be a DIY project. It ended up in a body shop with a front bumper damage. The shop repaired the upper molding and repainted it; it think they use suction tool or heat to straighten it. You may want to shop around and get repair quotes; the cost can be similar to what you pay for the part. Good luck!

Upvote 0
Back