For those that went from 19"s to 18"s

:
CX-Triton
For those that went from 19"s to 18"s / update with 18x8 Bronze TSW Nurburgring's

Was there a noticeable difference in ride comfort/noise/handling?

I'm considering 18" TSW Nurburgring's, but they have what seems like a pretty low load rating of 1350.
The second option for me, is to just buy 19" version (which have a load rating of 1650) and use the stock tires.

Last edited:
What is your goal here? Are you not satisfied with the ride quality of the 19s? Is that why you're considering 18s?

What is your goal here? Are you not satisfied with the ride quality of the 19s? Is that why you're considering 18s?

I'm looking at every pro and con for both options and looking for any and all advice before I make a decision either way.

I am just okay with the ride of the 19"s, for me personally, I find it on the rough side and it doesn't help that the roads around the D.C. area aren't the best.

The 18x8 Nurburgring's weigh 18.6, the 225/60 Continentals I'm looking at weight 25lbs. If I go with the 18"s that could mean a difference of over ~12lbs difference PER WHEEL. ~58lb stock vs ~43.6lbs. That definitely has to make some noticeable driving difference.

Bronze TSW Nurburgring

Might as well update my own post if anyone else has the same questions I had.

Fresh off the UPS truck, 18x8 Bronze TSW Nurburgring with Continental PureContacts 225/60. 44 pounds total. I will weight the stock 19"s whenever I get around to swapping them. I'm looking to put some matte clear Plastidip on the new rims.

5ZpjtTyl.jpg

Might as well update my own post if anyone else has the same questions I had.

Fresh off the UPS truck, 18x8 Bronze TSW Nurburgring with Continental PureContacts 225/60. 44 pounds total. I will weight the stock 19"s whenever I get around to swapping them. I'm looking to put some matte clear Plastidip on the new rims.
5ZpjtTyl.jpg
Don't they come with a coat of clear coat? If not, why would you mess around with something that won't last rather than have them properly clear-coated? BTW: nice wheel!

Don't they come with a coat of clear coat? If not, why would you mess around with something that won't last rather than have them properly clear-coated? BTW: nice wheel!

Thanks. Yeah, I'm 50/50 deciding if I really want to matte clear PD them. I'm also 50/50 on the fence if I should get some RokBlokz.

That particular kind of PD seems really finicky too and the thought of having to peel it off all of those spokes because of one mistake is dreadful. The Anthracite Gray Plastidip on my stock 19"s have held up surprisingly well. We'll see what they actually look like when I peel it all off and post the wheels for sale.

A5Lrs4wl.jpg

So out of curiosity, I went to the TSW web site and notice that the wheel you got is not listed for CX-5. Is that because you got a non-standard offset or something like that? I gotta' say, TSW makes some really nice wheels and their web site is really well designed! Are they pretty pricey?

So out of curiosity, I went to the TSW web site and notice that the wheel you got is not listed for CX-5. Is that because you got a non-standard offset or something like that? I gotta' say, TSW makes some really nice wheels and their web site is really well designed! Are they pretty pricey?

Went through DiscountTireDirect.com, 18x8 35 offset, $288/wheel. Not quite sure why they don't list the CX-5, they list the new 6 model.

On that TSW Wheel Weight-loss Plan

Decided to weight the stock 19"s, 18" TSW's, and 17" winter wheels.

Chubby stock 19"s = 58-59 lbs, almost pushing 60lbs.
zSviqAq.jpg

Moda MD11 17x7 with Blizzak DM-V1 225/65 = 50lbs even.
pwp4SNg.jpg

Finally, 18x8 TSW Nurburgrings with 225/60 Continental PureContacts = 43-44lbs. UPS label said 44 lbs, but with UPS you have to round up to the nearest pound no matter how much over you are.
k1tLvY7.jpg

Took a quick picture to compare stock to after.
fWwmrjY.jpg
P7KKij1.jpg

mg5FOxS.jpg

I haven't driven much to form any impressions about handling and ride, but so far no regrets.

IIrxoAx.jpg

Picked up same wheel/size in matte black and gonna mount some nokian hakkapeliitta R2 on them. Like how the 35 offset brings it flush...how stock 19 should look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually buys new Rims and wants to put plastipoop on them (hmm)

Picked up same wheel/size in matte black and gonna mount some nokian hakkapeliitta R2 on them. Like how the 35 offset brings it flush...how stock 19 should look

Be sure to post some pics FFLEMKE!
Actually buys new Rims and wants to put plastipoop on them (hmm)

The same could be said for people who buy new cars and plastidip parts on them, or lower them, or change the lights, etc. Hm indeed.

Decided to weight the stock 19"s, 18" TSW's, and 17" winter wheels.

Chubby stock 19"s = 58-59 lbs, almost pushing 60lbs.
zSviqAq.jpg

Moda MD11 17x7 with Blizzak DM-V1 225/65 = 50lbs even.
pwp4SNg.jpg

Finally, 18x8 TSW Nurburgrings with 225/60 Continental PureContacts = 43-44lbs. UPS label said 44 lbs, but with UPS you have to round up to the nearest pound no matter how much over you are.
k1tLvY7.jpg

Took a quick picture to compare stock to after.
fWwmrjY.jpg
P7KKij1.jpg

mg5FOxS.jpg

I haven't driven much to form any impressions about handling and ride, but so far no regrets.

IIrxoAx.jpg

How would you rate your ride quality now that you've had them for a while? I'm looking to do the same thing with TSW Valencia or nurburings after I put on around 2000 miles more on my stocks for holiday season driving home.
I'll be going from 17s to either 18s or 19s. I really enjoy the feel of the stock 17s on H&R springs but I can't really stand the look of them lol. What I don't want is the feel of my old car on 18s, which I felt every pothole and bump on the road.

How would you rate your ride quality now that you've had them for a while? I'm looking to do the same thing with TSW Valencia or nurburings after I put on around 2000 miles more on my stocks for holiday season driving home.
I'll be going from 17s to either 18s or 19s. I really enjoy the feel of the stock 17s on H&R springs but I can't really stand the look of them lol. What I don't want is the feel of my old car on 18s, which I felt every pothole and bump on the road.

Sorry for the late reply. There was a noticeable ride difference going from 19"s to 18"s. Not a night and day difference, but the ride is a little less rough. The car does feel a little bit more lighter on it's feet, it does pull a little bit faster. It does feel much more responsive now.

I switched to my winter 17"s about two weeks ago, and I don't think you can fairly compare the ride from 17" winter tire's to 18" all season's. I do believe that 18"s are the perfect compromise to those that want better handling and looks (if you choose the right wheel/tire combo) and want to avoid the penalties of riding on bigger wheels.

Back