For those having Transmission Issues with their CX-5

So the mechanic took it out and drove for a good 20 minutes. Thought he heard something. Brought it back in and it popped a code for the Shift solenoid. Waiting to find out if it needs to be replaced or if its a simple computer fix. Going to call soon because they have had the car since 230 and they have 1.5 hrs till the service bay closes.

I haven’t had this issue yet, but I feel for those who have. I agree that Mazda should inform their dealerships of this issue. What sucks the most is knowing that if something like this happens to your car, you're going to have to jump through all the bullsh*t laden hoops all the people on this thread had to. It's frustrating and makes me think twice about a “loyalty” purchase in the future. This seems to be a problem more so with dealerships and running that business model vice specifically a Mazda dealership issue. In the meantime, my cx-5 is running perfectly! (knock on wood)

I am a loyal mazda owner...apart from my cx5 I've owned 4 other mazdas. My dealership isn't giving me the blues though. They've been very helpful and compassionate. They actually ordered a new valve and I was told yesterday it will be in today as it was held up in customs. They gave me a loaner cx5 and I've not had any issue with service.

I havent had this issue yet, but I feel for those who have. I agree that Mazda should inform their dealerships of this issue. What sucks the most is knowing that if something like this happens to your car, you're going to have to jump through all the bullsh*t laden hoops all the people on this thread had to. It's frustrating and makes me think twice about a loyalty purchase in the future. This seems to be a problem more so with dealerships and running that business model vice specifically a Mazda dealership issue. In the meantime, my cx-5 is running perfectly! (knock on wood)

Started getting the light precursors a lot (5 separate times in 1 day)...traded in the CX5, I now own a 2013 F150 Tx Edition

Another valve body problem here.

Coming back from a friends house, where I'd just been saying how pleased I was with the car, on Dec 20 2013, the CEL, Traction Control, Tire Pressure Monitoring System and Automatic Transaxle warning lights came on. I stopped the car, restarted it but it still wouldn't do more than 20mph. Got it home, phoned Mazda roadside assistance and they took it back to the dealers, about 60 miles away.

They did very well and I had the car back a week later, despite the holidays, with a replaced valve body and a reset Transmission Control Module.

According to the invoice they gave me (no charge as I had the car for less than 4 months with 5,500 miles) they found error codes (along with what I think they mean):

C1031 -
P0752 - Shift Solenoid A Circuit Stuck On
P0780 - Shift Malfunction
U0401 - Erratic signal from PCM (Power Control module)

A little disappointed with my new car doing this but we've owned 7 Mazda's and had very few problems with any of them. A RX7, three 626's, a Mazda 6 and a Navajo. I use the Navajo for off-roading and it is a very tough vehicle.

Last edited:
lol, yeah. The Navajo is a rebadged Ford Explorer. They were even built in the same facility in Louisville, Kentucky. The only real differences were the front grille and taillights and those were smashed in and replaced long ago.

Had a similar experience. Was leaving work last nigh and as I was pulling away from my parking spot I felt a quick down and up shift, at least that's what it felt like. The air pressure light, AT light and engine light turned on. Drove about 5 blocks and decided to pull over and turn the CX-5 off and back on. All lights were off but the engine light. Figured do to a code that was generated when the incident happenned. The vehicle ran normal after the incident and after I cycled the vehicle on and off. Drove home 45 miles, no problem. Called the dealer and set up a loaner and drove the CX-5 there another 20 miles, still running normal (the engine light was still lit up). The service manager on duty called this morning and said it was ready to go. Said there is a TSB to flash the tranny control unit. I'll get it back tonight and see how it goes. Gotta make sure I get a copy of the service report. This thread was a nice heads up.

another CX-5 transmission valve body failure

Our CX-5 experienced the valve body failure last week with the same symptoms of power loss and console warning lights (pic attached) that have been reported previously in this thread. The vehicle was towed to a Mazda dealership and after reading the CEL codes (shift malfunction and shift time error) they determined that the valve body needed to be replaced. Fortunately, the replacement valve body arrived within a few days. The work order states replacement of valve body (PEX2-21-C00), a clamp (FZ01-19-967), and Type F transmission fluid (0000-FZ-113E-01). In addition to replacing parts they also preformed a relearn procedure afterwards. A technician indicated that the limited valve body failures they've seen have been within the first 5000 miles, and it was somewhat surprising that it happened after 18K miles. Nonetheless, it was all covered under warranty and they provided me a loaner vehicle.

I reported the incident to MazdaUSA. They documented in detail the conditions at the time of the failure and were in contact with the dealer on the status of the repair. My wife (who is the main driver of this vehicle) was almost rear ended at the time of the failure. She was at a stop light and after she started accelerating, she lost power after several seconds. There were no brake lights to indicate she was slowing down and the vehicle behind her barely avoided rear ending her. Definitely a serious safety issue. The MazdaUSA rep indicated that the review team is taking these reports seriously and will determine if anything needs to be done to proactively fix this issue once they have a better idea of how prevalent the issue is and whether it is associated with a specific production run. Rep was very informative due to having a CX-5 as well and talked a lot about new model shakedown issues.

If you have experienced this problem, please report it to MazdaUSA directly as well as the NHSTB.

tx_failure_console_lights.jpg

Last edited:
Having exact same problem today. Bought my CX-5 with 27000 kms on it. Drove it 500 miles home with no problem. Then started the 3 mile commute to work for the last 3 months. (I know I am lazy) Went to head out today for a highway drive and nothing but warning lights and no power when I stepped on the gas. Limped home and finally disconnected the battery. So far working fine so it must be some software problem. EXCEPT my fog lit indicator always stays on when the headlites are on. No way of turning the indicator off, even though the foglites are off.

jfras,
I forgot to mention in my previous post that another Mazda technician informed me that there are two possible fixes to this problem. One possible fix is a software update and a second fix is the replacement of the valve body. In my case, (based on the CEL codes) the fix was to replace the valve body. (They didn't indicate that a software update was attempted/needed for my vehicle.)

Last edited:
Not sure if this will help anyone else as it may be just a temporary fix. But I disconnected the battery for a couple of minutes. When I started it back up, it ran perfectly. All warning lights are off. It seems to be much smoother too. I just had to reset the radio channels and the power window. Will see how long this fix lasts.

Not sure if this will help anyone else as it may be just a temporary fix. But I disconnected the battery for a couple of minutes. When I started it back up, it ran perfectly. All warning lights are off. It seems to be much smoother too. I just had to reset the radio channels and the power window. Will see how long this fix lasts.

When this happened to me, and I thought it was a TBV failure, they said it was actually caused by a loose battery cable, causing a low power situation that put the transmission into safe mode. I have not had that issue since.

don't you want to leave the car as is, so the service dept can see the condition it's in?

don't you want to leave the car as is, so the service dept can see the condition it's in?
Usually yes, but if you can rule out something for the dealer, it's worth your time to do so.

It's a new transmission for this year... ALSO I just found out that the new Mazda3 GT's computer is different since it does the no-downshift-during cornering detection and the touring and below does not... maybe only certain versions are having this issue?

If you're going to post a problem your car is having on a thread like this, post things such as:
-Year make model build date
-full trim level
-VIN if you aren't wearing a tinfoil hat
-conditions during failure (temp, time, location etc)
-behavior and any steps taken to resolve issue yourself
-dealer steps and exact part numbers on your invoice

Accuracy is key!

It's interesting reading these but a few notes:
-Always get a receipt/invoice with a record of your visit. I'm sure the dealer's insurance company wouldn't want to find out that they're working on cars without your signature...
-If the dealer doesn't put it in writing, it doesn't count.
-Mazda customer service: 1 (800) 222-5500

The MZ3 won't downshift during cornering? What does it classify as cornering?

Apparently it has a g sensor so it won't *upshift* during cornering so you can have some more fun while still having an automatic. But only on the 2.5 gt trim

Apparently it has a g sensor so it won't *upshift* during cornering so you can have some more fun while still having an automatic. But only on the 2.5 gt trim

The dynamic stability control knows the steering angle so it could come from that and it is on all models.

You really think the automatic is different from trim level to trim level??

Back