flash/reflash results

kneedragger89

:
Mazdaspeed Protege
i have heard alot about getting your msp flashed or reflashed. i understand how to get a dealership to do it and what it is, thanks to this sight i might add :). what i want to know is how does it work. also why you went to get it flashed/reflashed and if it solved it. i JUST got my spicy msp (1237) and am new to all this thanks for the help.

Have you noticed that the car stalls-stumbles-hesitates when attempting to accelerate? If so the flash will make that occur less often but not totally eliminate it do to the AFRs produced by the stock pcm. I could not stand driving my MSP unflashed.

I dont think Im flashed but, I have a FMIC with relocated MAF and HKS BOV and I build and hold boost to 6K+ RPM. Feels good and pulls very strong. I only have 19,xxx miles.

so what can i do to make it stop completely it is driving my crazy.

The flash advances timing a bit to reduce the hesitation, the only way to cure it completely is to get some sort of engine management so you can lean out the afr's

thanks for the help. any suggestions?

I run the Split Second Air Fuel Controller, it is a nice cheap option and comes with a decent map programmed on it. The map that comes on it will adjust itself if you are running higher than stock boost. Downfalls are that you have to wire it in, and it does not control timing (which most say is fine if you are running less than 10psi.)

Alot of people on this forum run the Unichip ems as well, it is plug and play but much harder to tune yourself.

Unflashed it occured all of the time. Flashed I get it very randomly. That is why I said it does not completely eliminate it. Assuming that your car is in 100% top operating condition you will notice a difference driving after getting it flashed.

I run the Split Second Air Fuel Controller, it is a nice cheap option and comes with a decent map programmed on it. The map that comes on it will adjust itself if you are running higher than stock boost. Downfalls are that you have to wire it in, and it does not control timing (which most say is fine if you are running less than 10psi.)

Alot of people on this forum run the Unichip ems as well, it is plug and play but much harder to tune yourself.

which one do you use. and were you having that hesitation problem and if so did that fix it.

Unflashed it occured all of the time. Flashed I get it very randomly. That is why I said it does not completely eliminate it. Assuming that your car is in 100% top operating condition you will notice a difference driving after getting it flashed.

i am also having the problem around 80 in 5th gear when i hit the gas pretty hard. is this the same thing. it is hard to get over 100mph........ i mean i think that would be a problem (drive2)

I ordered an FPR but havnt gotten it yet.. I took my car back to stock cept the CAI. Now its hesitating like a POS (no more unichip) So im going to try the FPR.

Once i get it running great im going to start over with mods. Exhaust/upgraded IC are the main 2 Im looking at. Then maybe a new WGA to get the "free" 1-2 psi boost.... Thats about as far as im going. BUT i will buy parts when i see them so when the car is paid off i can forge it and have fun~

Back