First time out to the track tonight.

ill_eagle94

:
1990 Mazda Miata
10-17Slips.jpg

First run felt good. Bogged a bit on the launch.

Second run had a bit of wheel spin in second, but not too bad. Pretty sure I was a tad heatsoaked from the first run.

Third run felt awesome until the top of 3rd and 4th as well, where it seemed as though boost was falling off intermittently.

Fourth run I had a ton of wheelspin and hop through first and spun straight through second and she pulled pretty hard to the left through most of third.

Last edited:
you have the mount and you still wheel hop? Sigh this sucks....get that 60 down and you be in the 13s easy, overall great job for your first time

Thanks.

Yeah, the wheel hop wasn't real violent, but it was there none the less.

I'm going to lower the pressure in my front tires next time and hopefully I can hook up a bit better. It was 52 degrees out falling to 49 on my last run.

nice runs...learning the car is the key! get those 60 fts down and you'll really be happy...but honestly those are almost stock 1/4 times....you say that boost was falling off...how do you know? do you have a guage?

People think those are stock times but it took Car and Driver like 32 trys before they got that 14.0 and I'm assuming that was with a profesional driver. Those time seem adequate for the modifications with an amatuer driver behind the wheel.

complete agreement here, jhowey. i have 0 confidence that i would come anywhere near a 14.0sec 1/4 mile if i were to go to the track right now...

I was not knocking him at all please do not take it that way...I still want to know if he has a b guage though.

I ran in 86 degree weather and the best I netted was a 14.66. First run I bogged the launch and hit 15's second run I forgot to take dsc off and nose dipped just before second but still pulled a 14.66 2.38 60 foot time. But just like you give me 60 degree whether on a warm track with lower tire pressure and 2 extra sets of tires with a full day I would hope I could get into the 13's with light mods.

I was not saying you were, its just that hardly anyone on these forums I think could put a 14 even down. on a Stock MS3. But yeah I would like to know if your loosing boost too, because I do not spike as high as others are claiming they spike, I spike to like 17psi in 3rd and 4th and settle and hold 14-15psi.

those might be stock looking ets, but they are not stock trap speeds. I dont care if some1 ran a 14.6 stock, what was the trap speed? my car went 14.2 @ 99 Stock missing 5th, and 14.2 @ 99 staying in 4th lol

I know the 60' needs to come down. I also know that C+D flatfoot. I will absolutely not flatfoot this car. Track conditions were great for making power but not for traction. It is simply not possible to get good traction with the stock tires in 50 degree weather unless the sun is up and the pavement is warm.

As far as the boost fluctuating, I could actually feel the power fall off and come back on during most of 3rd and 4th gear. This was only on one run. Yeah, I suppose it could be timing if the car was seeing knock, but I doubt it because I'm using 93 and I doubt on the stock fuel maps that I would be knocking. Evidence is shown on runs 1 and 3. I had a faster MPH at the 1/8 on my third run than my first run, yet my 1/4 mile MPH was faster on my first run. Not by much, but I had no shifting issues whatsoever, so either way, I lost a bit of power up top on run 3 as compared to my first run.

Try a mount and see if your 60s come down a 10th or 2. With sticky tires, you have a mid 13 coming. You seem to be able to drive your car pretty well. Congrats...

Try a mount and see if your 60s come down a 10th or 2. With sticky tires, you have a mid 13 coming. You seem to be able to drive your car pretty well. Congrats...

I do have a motor mount. TRZ Dogbone. :) My only run with wheelhop was the last one. I hopped through the top of first and the beginning of second, where it faded into wheelspin. It also pulled hard to the left through most of third, but I may have gotten a bit out of the groove. If I could have hooked up a bit better on that one, it would have definitly been a 13, considering the 104 trap.

I'm going to try again next wed and lower my tire pressure up front down to 20-22 psi and see what that does.

Last edited:
good trap. i bet if you lowered your tire pressure to 18psi and lowered your launch to around 2k rpms and wot shifted @5800 your could run 13.5s no problem. Keep us posted.

THose 60's are horrible. No offense...

I thought this thing would be easier to get off the line than the SRT-4. It has wider rubber and less boost.

I was able to cut low 2.2's and an ocasional high 2.1 popped once in a blue moon in my SRT-4.

THe best I was able to do in my bone stock SRT-4 was 14.025@103.67. The after catback and stage 2 13.6@107.

I am hoping that I can get close with the MS3.

I didn't know the the MS3 had to shift to 5th to finish 1/4. That kinda sucks.

U dont have to u can get 107(Thats Redline, prob higher before fuel cut) in 4th, just no boost there. I hope Cobbs AP will help us make power to Redline then we may be able to miss the 4th-5th shift, thats at least 1-2 thenths in the quarter, an extra shift.

THose 60's are horrible. No offense...

I thought this thing would be easier to get off the line than the SRT-4. It has wider rubber and less boost.

I was able to cut low 2.2's and an ocasional high 2.1 popped once in a blue moon in my SRT-4.

THe best I was able to do in my bone stock SRT-4 was 14.025@103.67. The after catback and stage 2 13.6@107.

I am hoping that I can get close with the MS3.

I didn't know the the MS3 had to shift to 5th to finish 1/4. That kinda sucks.

How would the car be easier off the line? It's heavier, still front wheel drive, and it has more power, especially torque.

Again, I had 34 psi in the front tires, I'm going to lower it next time I go to the track.

I definitely know there is room for improvement in the 60' times. Once that comes down, the ET's will drop. :)

How would the car be easier off the line? It's heavier, still front wheel drive, and it has more power, especially torque.

Again, I had 34 psi in the front tires, I'm going to lower it next time I go to the track.

I definitely know there is room for improvement in the 60' times. Once that comes down, the ET's will drop. :)

SRT's can put down 250 ft-lbs to the wheels stock. Not far off or over in some instances higher than a MS3 stock.

I just get a set of Drag radials and run mid 13's.

SRT's can put down 250 ft-lbs to the wheels stock. Not far off or over in some instances higher than a MS3 stock.

I just get a set of Drag radials and run mid 13's.

I'm planning on some next year. There isn't enough of the year left to warrant getting them now.

nice run, it took me awhile too to get to 14.1, and im stock, i remember i averaged 14.3 to 14.5.

the trickiest part is the 1st gear, if u learn how to slip it in, you'll be good all the way :)

Back