First Rock Ding

SupaDave03

:
2011 Mazda CX9 Touring
Well got my first rock ding after my first road trip. Mazda definetly not known for their paint job. Didnt notice it till i got back and washed it. Didnt ding is but just chipped the paint on the front bumper very small but I notice it :(
Whats the touch up paint code for pearl white paint.

Last edited:
I hate when that happens, but it will happen eventually unless you just leave it in the garage. You may want to look into Dr. Colorchip.

Got a slight ding in the driver door (well, my wife did) but the paint was not damamged. Have a great PDR guy that made it totally disappear.

Also you wouldnt believe this story same trip driving on the freeway and there is an 18 wheeler's blown tire in the moving lane of traffic. So to aviod running over it i get over in the next lane and this truck flies by me and runs over all the debri in the roadway and throws a huge chunk of rubber up and slams right into my windsheild at like 75+ MPH. Thank goodness it didnt crack my windsheild, but I swear the more I try to keep my new CX-9 "NEW", the more stuff like that happens to it.

Sorry I thought it was the bumper but it right above the plastic bumper on the the very front right under wear the head lights are.

I have noticed that on my 9, alot of the panel edges are quickly chipping, but strangely, the paint is chipping, and the primer remains underneath, so the metal is never exposed on any paint chips. Have never seen this on any car I've owed...all paint chips always have chipped down to the metal.
Something to be aware of also... it took me returning the first touchup paint bottle to the dealer and getting a second to get the right color. Apparently either the first bottle was mis-labeled, or mis-filled. The color was way off, not even close on the first bottle. (dealer tried to fight me)

Thankfully I got our car protected by clear bra treatment a few weeks ago, also got full hood coverage plus headlights and foglights shielded.
In addition I got custom work down on the full rear bumper to cover it up, our garage is kinda tight so there is a chance of rubbing up against it...
This car will be doing a lot of roadtrips so it was worth it to me to pay for the treatment...

The paint is always pretty thin on Mazdas, I know this from my Miata, so they are pretty*prone to rockchips...

Like most manufacturers you pay for better quality. Compared to my MS3 and Mz5, the paint on the 6 and 9 is 10x better. I find that the few times it has chipped the chips have been much smaller. Ive also experienced times where i heard a rock or some road debris hit and later found zero chip. It also depends on your area and the curvature of the bodywork. Some panels will attract rocks like a magnet. So i don't think you can just make blanket statements like all Mazdas have "thin paint". IMO. Bottom line every car will chip. All depends on the situation.

I have owned many vehicles over the years, domestic and foreign, and none chipped or scratched as easily as my Mazda CX9. The CX9 door edge paint will be removed down to the primer if you let the door touch a wooden stud in the garage. I mean touch, and not banged into.

My GMC Yukons rarely chipped and it was a lot tighter entering and exiting in the truck in the garage. I never had to touch-up the doors, and only rarely a hood chip. My opinion, GMC has the toughest paint surface. Nissan not bad. Toyota was awesome.

Not sure I want to clay my CX9 for fear that brilliant black will end up primer gray. Mazda needs to sell touch-up paint by the pint, and supply the 1/4" brush....lol

Now you're just being silly. I clay bar my Mazdas every year with no problem :)

Building cars is a string of compromises. Every manufacturer chooses their compromises because unless you pay German car prices your going to buy a car that isnt perfect. Mazda may not have the best paint, but your Yukon probably didn't have the most attractive interior and your Toyota probably didn't have a responsive chassis. And i know both of those makes don't have the combination of european looks and the non-appliance personality of the CX 9. IMO.

A guy I work with complained that his Mz5 had low profile tires and that Mazda shouldn't outfit a family car with tires like that because he couldnt jump sidewalks like he did in his suv. My response to him was that the Mz5 was designed with certain goals in mind and that he probably should have chosen a different tool for the job.

Thats why there are so many choices out there. Depends on what sort of compromises your willing to live with.

Last edited:
Ant - you apparently missed the "lol" following my claybar comment. Humor???

I love my CX9, but the simple fact is the paint is of pre-1980 Japanese quality. Not many $30k+ vehicles have such sub-standard paint. Accept it yes! Drool about it, not.

Anyways, the GMC Yukons have a far superior interior. GMC actually uses real carpet, not fuzzy cardboard. The leather is more supple and the seats were near as good as my recliner for comfort. My opinion... nuff said!

Sorry Knowaczark. I respond better to smiley faces. :)

I would disagree with you on the Yukon interior. Materials maybe more durable (it's a truck afterall) but design wise it's neanderthal (i.e. nowhere near as elegant). IMO. That said I'm not sure what vintage of Yukon your referring to. The last couple of model years actually had pretty nice interiors both quality and designwise.

Anyway everyone has there pet peaves. For me I just wish Mazda would connect the memory seat with the power mirrors!

Antonio DiMarco; Anyway everyone has there pet peaves. For me I just wish Mazda would connect the memory seat with the power mirrors![/QUOTE said:
And mine is the non-Smartcard

Back