First Look At Mazda's All-New Inline-Six

:
'17, Mazda 6 GT
Some additional news in regards to the power train that Mazda is developing.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/heres-our-first-look-at-mazdas-all-new-inline-six/

At a glance what is interesting and a little bit unexpected, is that the new I6 will be offered in 3 variants, gasoline, diesel and Skyactive-X. IF we knew about the diesel and x I believe the gasoline one is a great news, since it can only be a derivation of the Miata 2.0 or the SkyActiv-G 2.5 in north america.

Based on this I would assume that the I6-X is going to be for the European market while the I6 gasoline turbocharged and will be for the north-american market.

Hopefully we can see the first iteration in 2022 under the all-new Mazda 6.

I hope this works out. Previous attempts where Mazda has done an engine technology zig when the market has zagged have not worked out particularly well from a sales standpoint and consumed an awful lot of precious R&D: continuing to push the rotary, miller-cycle engines (Millenia), small displacement V6s (1.8L in the MX-3), the US diesel debacle, and Skyactiv X.

I applaud Mazda for trying stuff, but I'm worried about their long-term survivability - hybrids and electrification (which do appear to be somewhat represented in these new engines) are the battleground for the next 30 years. And they desperately needed a new automatic transmission three years ago.

- Mark

I hope this works out. Previous attempts where Mazda has done an engine technology zig when the market has zagged have not worked out particularly well from a sales standpoint and consumed an awful lot of precious R&D: continuing to push the rotary, miller-cycle engines (Millenia), small displacement V6s (1.8L in the MX-3), the US diesel debacle, and Skyactiv X.

I applaud Mazda for trying stuff, but I'm worried about their long-term survivability - hybrids and electrification (which do appear to be somewhat represented in these new engines) are the battleground for the next 30 years. And they desperately needed a new automatic transmission three years ago.

- Mark

They patented a new 8-speed automatic the beginning of this year so I am assuming it will come along with they're new engines.

Mazda’s current 6-speed is SO much better than the competition’s 8 to 10-speeds it’s just silly (I have examples of both). However, high-ratio-count trannies are the currently the easiest way to improve fuel economy, so that’s what we get.

I’m super-excited for longitudinal powertrains and for an inline 6!

Back