Fiber Images CF hood

oh mah gah i love the vented hood. im not so sure i like it so much on the red car unpainted, but on a black car i think it would look great. like on my car =)

Yeah, it doesn't look right unpainted on a bright colored car. I know it wouldn't scream CARBON FIBER anymore, but I'd paint it if I were to put one on a red MS3. It looks great on a black car though, might look great on gunmetal too. Also not a fan of the scoop. The OE style keeps it cleaner. This is on my list now. Right after coilovers, fuel pump upgrade, FMIC and an acessport.

Yeah, it doesn't look right unpainted on a bright colored car. I know it wouldn't scream CARBON FIBER anymore, but I'd paint it if I were to put one on a red MS3. It looks great on a black car though, might look great on gunmetal too. Also not a fan of the scoop. The OE style keeps it cleaner. This is on my list now. Right after coilovers, fuel pump upgrade, FMIC and an acessport.

lol. thats quite the list. i have coilovers going on in the spring.

the fp, FMIC, and AP are are sick combo. youll love the car 10 times more after the fact.

A picture of my buddy Marks red MS3 with his Fiber Images hood and painted sides.
mark_01_large.png

Very nice. I am going to get the Fiber Images hood with scoop and paint it like that or mabe even a smaler area with the CF left showing. Just from the front of the hood up and around the scoop opening.

P.S. How is the quality of the hood? Nice fitment, gaps between the hood and fenders are tight, underside looks good???

Fits pretty well. Mine was a LIIIIIIIITTLE bit too small but I was able to easily place it centered so that there werent any mojor gaps on any side, just a little tiny bit all around, but still, no problem.

looks real nice, I would paint mine if i got it. Dont you need extra hood pins to keep the hood from opening?

Fits pretty well. Mine was a LIIIIIIIITTLE bit too small but I was able to easily place it centered so that there werent any mojor gaps on any side, just a little tiny bit all around, but still, no problem.

thanks for the input...I think I will get one this spring. Did it take like 3 months for you to get yours??

I had shipping isses with mine only because I ordered it while I was in Iraq, so when they tried to ship it, they couldnt reach me on my cell phone to schedule a delivery time(duh!) so they took it back to the factory. They tried to make me pay the shipping again but I refused to, so ********** covered the shipping for me (almost $400 since I had several parts) and I had it about a week later.

You dont need hoodpins for this hood, it fits the factory latch. I would hang myself if I was stupid enough to drill holes in my beautiful hood just for a pair of ugly hoodpins. If you want to do it, most shops should be able to help you out, but they wont be required to keep it shut.

I had shipping isses with mine only because I ordered it while I was in Iraq, so when they tried to ship it, they couldnt reach me on my cell phone to schedule a delivery time(duh!) so they took it back to the factory. They tried to make me pay the shipping again but I refused to, so ********** covered the shipping for me (almost $400 since I had several parts) and I had it about a week later.

You dont need hoodpins for this hood, it fits the factory latch. I would hang myself if I was stupid enough to drill holes in my beautiful hood just for a pair of ugly hoodpins. If you want to do it, most shops should be able to help you out, but they wont be required to keep it shut.

i wouldnt do it for asthetics, ive heard that the cf hoods can fly open and the stock latch isnt really enough, so pins are recommended

On some hoods, maybe, but the Fiber Images hood looks like the latch is on there pretty secure. Ive spent quite a while at high speeds (140+) on the open freeway with this hood on, and had no trouble with it wobbling or looking like its going to come off.

Only takes once, though, I guess. lol

Since CF is as strong as steel, and FI molds the nuts into the CF for the latch assembly, there is no way it can come lose and fly off. IMHO.

Since CF is as strong as steel, and FI molds the nuts into the CF for the latch assembly, there is no way it can come lose and fly off. IMHO.

what happens if you forget to latch it? example #1. lol.

ooooor you dont tighten the bolts....

ooooooooooooor you use zip ties?

just sayin.

cf is as strong as steel when required. I dont think the weave pattern is for ultimate high strength. Its for lightness. Also if the nuts are woven into the fabric, then 1/2 the strength of the cf is holding the nuts in place. and all that force is being concentrated over a very very small area.

thats not quite true, it depends on how the material is loaded. CF excels in a stiffness to weight comparison, but not so well with high pressure localized forces. that type of loading overs stresses individual fibers, which break and pass the load to the fibers next to them the part then loosens and falls out.

So, molding a heavily loaded stud, or nut directly into the matrix is poor practice. A steel (aluminum, titanium) plate with the nut/stud welded to it serves as a load spreader, and keeps local forces down.

Just saw 8.5;s post, he said the same thing with way fewer words

what happens if you forget to latch it? example #1. lol.

ooooor you dont tighten the bolts....

ooooooooooooor you use zip ties?

just sayin.

Well I can't help it if you don't close your hood or perform the install correctly.(uhm) Ha!

Zip ties....haden't thought of that one. When I get mine this Spring I'll sure give that one a try....not!

thats not quite true, it depends on how the material is loaded. CF excels in a stiffness to weight comparison, but not so well with high pressure localized forces. that type of loading overs stresses individual fibers, which break and pass the load to the fibers next to them the part then loosens and falls out.

So, molding a heavily loaded stud, or nut directly into the matrix is poor practice. A steel (aluminum, titanium) plate with the nut/stud welded to it serves as a load spreader, and keeps local forces down.

Just saw 8.5;s post, he said the same thing with way fewer words

Agree with you both. I haven't seen this hood but perhaps the OP can tell us if they mold a plate in. I got to believe they do. Almost any Fiberglass hood I have seen [of good quality] does it this way and CF is basicly the same process. Hell if they don't do it that way for a 1k hood I don't want it. Im not driving a 69 Mustang and want chrome hood pins sticking out the top of my hood!!!

Agree with you both. I haven't seen this hood but perhaps the OP can tell us if they mold a plate in. I got to believe they do. Almost any Fiberglass hood I have seen [of good quality] does it this way and CF is basicly the same process. Hell if they don't do it that way for a 1k hood I don't want it. Im not driving a 69 Mustang and want chrome hood pins sticking out the top of my hood!!!

Just re-read my post and I didn't meant to mislead about FI molding just the nuts into the the CF. I don't know how they do it but a plate w nuts is def the way to go. [did I just say a plate w nuts outloud?]

Back