Far enough from sidewall to be repaired/patched?

:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
Assuming it's an honest shop, is this far enough from the sidewall to be repaired?

PXL_20210321_230634786_3.jpg

It's a company vehicle, if it were my own I'd just try pulling the nail and shoving a plug in it.

I have had two tires fail due to nail location. Both within 90 days of each other. Legitimate tire dealers will show you the acceptable plugging locations that can be repaired without jeopardizing your safety. You’re close to the edge.

Luckily, both of mine were warranted against road hazard, including the balance/mounting.

Just prepare yourself for the worst news. Hopeful you get out with a plug. Wishing you the best.

This is a company vehicle with a fleet maintenance company. I'm just wondering if they'll fix it or tell me they have to order 2 more (they always order a set when replacing one). THey have repaired tires for us when applicable

Well here's the end of the story. Our maintenance is done by a management companies that use a certain repair shops. Our repair shop said that it wouldn't be safe to repair - too close to the side. I'm calling bs, because they make more money by replacing it, but it was outside of my control. If it was my own car I would have tried to get it fixed but I didn't have a choice

It happens. dont bug yourself.
Probably a liability issue as well so they have to cover their ***.
may be a good candidate for a good roadhazard insurance if these happen too often. its all about the numbers.

It happens. dont bug yourself.
Probably a liability issue as well so they have to cover their ***.
may be a good candidate for a good roadhazard insurance if these happen too often. its all about the numbers.
It's not that I don't care about my company spending money on a new tire, I was just hoping they'd repair it while I waited instead of me coming back when they get the tire in.

Also, since it's a corporate account, I know that they just call the fleet management company for approval, and since the management company doesn't come to inspect the requested repair, it's almost like a blank check for the repair shop.

We know you care otherwise you would not have even asked.
But sometimes the corp policies are ineffective and others profit from that or its just easier to outsource to somebody else to make the decision and responsibility. i.e. corp travel is (was) a good example that comes to mind.

Probably somebody will be getting a good deal on a damaged but repairable tire with good tread.
Which could open a liability issue should that shoulder flex cause a sidewall separation. I wouldn’t be willing to bet my or my families life on it.

Back