Extended Warranty & Appearance Protection coverage ?

Hi guys. I bought a 2019 CX-9 Grand Touring this week and wanted to get some extended warranty for it, and also some sort of coverage to protect it from door dings (at parking lots, etc.), small scratches, etc. ? I know a lot of people think they're unnecessary, but I want to get them still, assuming they're not too expensive.

Any suggestions ? Should I try to get official Mazda coverage (mentioned here), or some third party one is good enough ? The dealership I got the CX-9 from were selling some 3rd party versions of the above which didn't seem good, so I didn't get it from there.

The "official" Mazda warranty is only available for used Mazda's sold by Mazda dealers as certified pre owned vehicles (CPO). Mazda does not offer an extended warranty for new vehicles.

Enjoy your new CX5.

So then what is the stuff mentioned in the link I shared above ? Is that not official Mazda extended warranty ?

So then what is the stuff mentioned in the link I shared above ? Is that not official Mazda extended warranty ?

The first line says it all:

"Enjoy peace of mind and years of driving enjoyment from your Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) vehicle"

Ah, I didn't notice that .. 😊

So then is there any third party company you can recommend for the extended warranty (aka vehicle service contract) and cosmetic wear and tear coverage ?

I had been debating the same thing to buy the Mazda warranty or 3rd party stuff. The best price I got for Mazda extended Confidence (MEC) was $1600 with $100 deductible for 7yrs/100K miles and 3rd party warranty from Zurich was $1800 ($100 deductible) for 8yrs/125K

I had been debating the same thing to buy the Mazda warranty or 3rd party stuff. The best price I got for Mazda extended Confidence (MEC) was $1600 with $100 deductible for 7yrs/100K miles and 3rd party warranty from Zurich was $1800 ($100 deductible) for 8yrs/125K

Did you end up getting any of them ?

Also do you have any kind of protection/coverage against exterior/interior cosmetic wear and tear ?

Lastly, did you get anything like prepaid maintenance for like 5-6 years ?

Did you end up getting any of them ?

Also do you have any kind of protection/coverage against exterior/interior cosmetic wear and tear ?

Lastly, did you get anything like prepaid maintenance for like 5-6 years ?
Havent bought it yet. all these warranties cover all things except maintenance items- top of the line warranty. No prepaid maintenance
I always hear bad stories from people when the claims are denied for various reasons. Basically it is an insurance and peace of mind - one can gamble the money on it. I am still on fence about it

The "official" Mazda warranty is only available for used Mazda's sold by Mazda dealers as certified pre owned vehicles (CPO). Mazda does not offer an extended warranty for new vehicles.

This is 100% complete and utter BS. Totaly false. Don't know where you're located, but I in fact have a OEM Mazda B2B extended warranty I purchased for my NEW 2018. I also purchased the warranty, from a different dealer, several weeks after the initial car purchase. Selling dealer wanted too much so I shopped around. Shop around and only get quotes on what you want. They typically say they can't, don't or won't offer the Mazda warranty, because...it was cheaper and they don't make as much on them as the 3rd party warranties. I had several dealers not interested in selling what I wanted. They don't want to sell you what you want, their loss, move on. There are plenty of dealers around. I paid $1200 w/ $100 deductible on the longest duration warranty. Later learned that dealer cost is in the $800 range. Easy 400 bucks for 15 minutes of paperwork.

This is 100% complete and utter BS. Totaly false. Don't know where you're located, but I in fact have a OEM Mazda B2B extended warranty I purchased for my NEW 2018. I also purchased the warranty, from a different dealer, several weeks after the initial car purchase. Selling dealer wanted too much so I shopped around. Shop around and only get quotes on what you want. They typically say they can't, don't or won't offer the Mazda warranty, because...it was cheaper and they don't make as much on them as the 3rd party warranties. I had several dealers not interested in selling what I wanted. They don't want to sell you what you want, their loss, move on. There are plenty of dealers around. I paid $1200 w/ $100 deductible on the longest duration warranty. Later learned that dealer cost is in the $800 range. Easy 400 bucks for 15 minutes of paperwork.

I was under the impression it was not available in the US from Mazda. Where are you located? What is the name of the warranty company on your paperwork and what is the length of the contract?

Hi guys. I bought a 2019 CX-9 Grand Touring this week and wanted to get some extended warranty for it, and also some sort of coverage to protect it from door dings (at parking lots, etc.), small scratches, etc. ? I know a lot of people think they're unnecessary, but I want to get them still, assuming they're not too expensive.

Any suggestions ? Should I try to get official Mazda coverage (mentioned here), or some third party one is good enough ? The dealership I got the CX-9 from were selling some 3rd party versions of the above which didn't seem good, so I didn't get it from there.

Everyone has their views on extended warranties, here's mine...I never buy them, not even on unreliable German cars let alone a Japanese reliable car. I would rather keep my money, put it in a high yield acct and use it for repairs when/if needed. You can add $100/week or month to keep it growing. Giving a dealer or third party your money up front and then not needing it or selling the car before you need it makes little sense to me. Arguing with the dealer or third party about coverage at the time of need is an exercise in frustration. Be your own insurance company and bank.

In terms of paint protection, You might think about wrapping the nose (stone chips) and possibly the door area if you're worried about door dings but if another persons car door slams into yours, it will still dent it even if wrapped. Wrapping is better protection for chipping, bird droppings, etc as opposed to denting.

I just looked at a 2020 CX9 GT yesterday, nice car but its still a car and will degrade the moment you take it off the lot, keep it clean and maintained and enjoy it but don't worry about things that happen to it cause they're gonna happen anyway.

I was under the impression it was not available in the US from Mazda. Where are you located? What is the name of the warranty company on your paperwork and what is the length of the contract?

I believe it's 9 years 100k w/ $100 deduct. Mazda corporate paperwork. Transferrable and cancellable any time AFAIK (pro-rated). I see the total on mine was $1,350 including sales tax... tad more than the 1200 I'd been saying.

Yes, MAZDA factory extended warranty, not 3rd party. They attempted to peddle that one (Zurich??) right away for significantly more $$.

The new car warranty came in two flavors: Total Confidence Coverage and Powertrain Confidence Coverage. I opted for Total (again, the tech crap).

The CPO Extended Warranty came in six flavors: Ultimate, Ultimate Wrap, Ultimate Diesel/Turbo Wrap, Preferred, Enhanced, and Powertrain. Don't no the differences, I read the Ultimate only.

53401004.JPG

I possess both my Mazda New Car Extended Warranty left booklet (w/ pink contract paper inside) and the Mazda CPO Extended Warranty booklet on the right, they are different. The selling dealer incorrectly tried to sell me the CPO warranty (which is why I also have that one) which doesn't cover my main concern...the techno-electronics. The new car warranty does. I must have been the only person the F&I manager ever had that read the damn thing and questioned it.

Everyone has their views on extended warranties, here's mine...I never buy them, not even on unreliable German cars let alone a Japanese reliable car. I would rather keep my money, put it in a high yield acct and use it for repairs when/if needed. You can add $100/week or month to keep it growing. Giving a dealer or third party your money up front and then not needing it or selling the car before you need it makes little sense to me. Arguing with the dealer or third party about coverage at the time of need is an exercise in frustration. Be your own insurance company and bank.

In terms of paint protection, You might think about wrapping the nose (stone chips) and possibly the door area if you're worried about door dings but if another persons car door slams into yours, it will still dent it even if wrapped. Wrapping is better protection for chipping, bird droppings, etc as opposed to denting.

I just looked at a 2020 CX9 GT yesterday, nice car but its still a car and will degrade the moment you take it off the lot, keep it clean and maintained and enjoy it but don't worry about things that happen to it cause they're gonna happen anyway.

Never believed in them nor purchased them until now. These modern rolling totally integrated techno-marvels are far too expensive to diag let alone pay for the parts. Just read this forum alone to see all of the non-sense that goes on due to the useless tech. I keep cars, especially the Japanese ones, until their nearly worthless or dead, So at the cost of the parts to replace anything, it's a no-brainer. 1400 bucks? High-Yield? lol, 1.7%ish? My company's owner's $61,000 GMC truck is in the shop for the 3rd time to resolve rearview 'camera issues' and wait for it...an SBS safety recall..... There is no mirror, so he can't see w/o cameras functioning (there's 12 of them in his, 2020's have double that w/that invisible trailer BS). Imagine having to pay that bill.

Last edited:
I believe it's 9 years 100k w/ $100 deduct. Mazda corporate paperwork. Transferrable and cancellable any time AFAIK (pro-rated). I see the total on mine was $1,350 including sales tax... tad more than the 1200 I'd been saying.

Yes, MAZDA factory extended warranty, not 3rd party. They attempted to peddle that one (Zurich??) right away for significantly more $$.

The new car warranty came in two flavors: Total Confidence Coverage and Powertrain Confidence Coverage. I opted for Total (again, the tech crap).

The CPO Extended Warranty came in six flavors: Ultimate, Ultimate Wrap, Ultimate Diesel/Turbo Wrap, Preferred, Enhanced, and Powertrain. Don't no the differences, I read the Ultimate only.

View attachment 222109

I possess both my Mazda New Car Extended Warranty left booklet (w/ pink contract paper inside) and the Mazda CPO Extended Warranty booklet on the right, they are different. The selling dealer incorrectly tried to sell me the CPO warranty (which is why I also have that one) which doesn't cover my main concern...the techno-electronics. The new car warranty does. I must have been the only person the F&I manager ever had that read the damn thing and questioned it.

Never believed in them nor purchased them until now. These modern rolling totally integrated techno-marvels are far too expensive to diag let alone pay for the parts. Just read this forum alone to see all of the non-sense that goes on due to the useless tech. I keep cars, especially the Japanese ones, until their nearly worthless or dead, So at the cost of the parts to replace anything, it's a no-brainer. 1400 bucks? High-Yield? lol, 1.7%ish? My company's owner's $61,000 GMC truck is in the shop for the 3rd time to resolve rearview 'camera issues' and wait for it...an SBS safety recall..... There is no mirror, so he can't see w/o cameras functioning (there's 12 of them in his, 2020's have double that w/that invisible trailer BS). Imagine having to pay that bill.
when did buy this warranty? which dealer did you buy is from? I am in PA and no one seems to be selling for less than $1600. thanks

PA is a fairly large state....purchased car and warranty spring 2018. Car at Piazza in Reading (best OTD deal), warranty at Lancaster Mazda. When I went in to sign and drive the car deal made via email, I inquired about the warranties then. They settled at 1900+tax (started at @2400 IIRC) after me asking the F&I manager "best and final?". I drove off w/ the car and w/o the warranty. Left it open that I'd think about it. Better than a week later she called inquiring if I was interested. Said sorry, already purchased it at Lancaster Mazda for much less. She then offered it to me at their cost, supposedly $800 (BS or not...dunno), if I wanted to go and cancel the one I purchased at Lancaster "to keep me a happy customer". I asked, "Why wasn't best and final actually best and final? 'Happy' would've been 1000 best-n-final and you'd have made 200 for dancing on the keyboard for a few more minutes". So, greed gained them nothing. I explained the simple principle of "a deal's a deal" and passed on her offer. I was done w/ this car purchase at that point. I kept the warranty I purchased at Lancaster Mazda, because they made an offer and I accepted it. It is also where I'll be going for service and recalls anyway...unless they try to screw me over at any point.

FYI, the Mazda extended warranty is/was administered by Warrentech if that means anything to anyone.

FYI, the Mazda extended warranty is/was administered by Warrentech if that means anything to anyone.

That would seem to concur with what I've seen in the past. That Mazda does not offer their own warranty in the US on new model vehicles.

View attachment 222109

I'm in Washington state. How can I try to get this here (even if it's possible) ? The few dealers I've talked with around me all seem to be offering 3rd party versions. One or two of them are selling Zurich policies. I don't know how good or bad they are.

I agree that a car is just a machine that will over time degrade in value, features and looks. However I really want to have some sort of paint protection for at least 1-2 years. The last thing I want is to take the car to a shopping mall and have someone ding my car and run. I dinged another car once (I did leave a note so I guess I did my part) and I felt horrible ... :/

I have a 2016.5 CX-5 GT. Out of warranty but had been trying to get info with lack of response. I reached out to Mazda and made a contact with a Customer Experience Rep. She mentioned if I was out of warranty it was too late. After talking with her she took a different position. Now working with a contact at a local dealer she has personally dealt with and has been doing my services.

Their current offer is $1782 - $300 off = $1482 (warranty up to 100k so about another 65k coverage), and include $135 for 3 years of map upgrades. I'm working with him to get a free USB Hub upgrade instead and he states he's going to check with his boss and see what they can do. Communication has been via texting with more delays. We'll see what happens.

Normally I wouldn't bother with an extended warranty (take care of and not hard on things) and at regular price only I'd not consider it. But with a deal and hearing about rear brake and DRL issues I'm thinking it would be worth it. I've pressed the dealership to check out the rear brakes and they state their master mechanic says things look fine. On the DRL they, of course, won't do anything unless there is a problem. Also, reading the stories in the forum(s) has me wondering a bit on these issues. If one of these issues cropped up it may cover my cost for the warranty offered.

Last edited:
I have a 2016.5 CX-5 GT. Out of warranty but had been trying to get info with lack of response. I reached out to Mazda and made a contact with a Customer Experience Rep. She mentioned if I was out of warranty it was too late. After talking with her she took a different position. Now working with a contact at a local dealer she has personally dealt with and has been doing my services.

Their current offer is $1782 - $300 off = $1482 (warranty up to 100k so about another 65k coverage), and include $135 for 3 years of map upgrades. I'm working with him to get a free USB Hub upgrade instead and he states he's going to check with his boss and see what they can do. Communication has been via texting with more delays. We'll see what happens.

Normally I wouldn't bother with an extended warranty (take care of and not hard on things) and at regular price only I'd not consider it. But with a deal and hearing about rear brake and DRL issues I'm thinking it would be worth it. I've pressed the dealership to check out the rear brakes and they state their master mechanic says things look fine. On the DRL they, of course, won't do anything unless there is a problem. Also, reading the stories in the forum(s) has me wondering a bit on these issues. If one of these issues cropped up it may cover my cost for the warranty offered.
DRL could be tricky as it "may" not be covered if the led failed but honestly no ones gives a correct answer as I talked to couple of Mazda service folks. 3rd party warranties also may not cover it - as headlight bulb items are not covered - maintenance item

DRL could be tricky as it "may" not be covered if the led failed but honestly no ones gives a correct answer as I talked to couple of Mazda service folks. 3rd party warranties also may not cover it - as headlight bulb items are not covered - maintenance item

Yeah, so many things are slippery slopes. I refer to them as plausible deniability. it looks like there's a lawsuit starting in California over the DRL situation. So that could change things.

Back