exhust sound & HP

SteveSI

:
2011 CX9 GT AWD
I am looking to add a deeper sound to my exhust ( Not that whinny lil honda civic sound ) and some HP if possible. I have never done it before. I am not sure if it is just a tip replacement or a muffler or a whole bunch of exhaust pipes that i need to buy. (if thats the case, ill pass).....I dont have the $ for a BMW X6 but I love their sound. I just saw a Jeep cherokee with some nice sound but I like the Mazda better.......I have a 2011 CX9 GT AWD, if anyone has any advice or a site I can check out I thank u in advance. sorry for my bad spelling

Your best bet is to go with an aftermarket exhaust but no one makes it for a CX-9 .. You would have to go with a universal muffler. I was thinking of doing this as well and I like the way Magnaflow sounds and I'm planning to keep the stock tips.

one thing to be aware of when looking for a sound similar to the X6, is that they use a twin-turbo engine which will always sound better then NA. :)
back to Mazda...
if you are wanting HP, then you are going to have to redo the exhaust from the catalytic converter all the way back.
if you are looking for sound then it can be done with mufflers, but nothing is guaranteed nor direct fit bolt on.
the most HP gains will be appreciated with the use of a dyno and testing a variety of pipes and styles. now, i know that it would be cheaper and simpler if we were able to call up HKS, Borla, or Flowmaster and get a direct fit, but as with everything else for our car there is a lack of after-market support.
this isn't to say it can't be done, but we will have to infer a few things and do a little leg work.

Now, some of the research is simplified if we look outside Mazda. Remember that our engine is very similar to the V-6 used in the base Mustangs. so checking out some of their forums and after-market parts suppliers, we can come up with a reasonable exhaust design for performance and sound.
Naturally, custom fabrication and fitment would be required, but in these days of "Tuner" shops and "Performance Haus" places existing that do complicated cross-platform engine swaps, finding someone to fab up an exhaust would be easy.

Jayjoshjake, thanks for the info.... I'm new to this kind of stuff and I think I'm gonna go to a shop and change the muffler. I also def want to keep our exhaust tips. If you do anything pls let us know.

Foggy, thanks for all the info. I will be going to a local shop. I will post what I find out.
I know I prob won't get an X6 sound and it's a little too loud for me. So I think I will have a muffler swapped out for a deeper sound. Thanks again

CX9 shares the chassis with Ford Edge. See if you can find any mufflers for Ford Edge.
They might fit CX9 easily.

Back