Exhaust

Brannon9827

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
I have a 2003 Mazdaspeed Protg. The motor recently blew so I am now going to build the car. The only thing I am having trouble with is finding an exhaust. I would like for it to be a performance exhaust from the turbo back. I have seen on the internet places to buy but I have looked on hks and apexi websites where they have made them before but I cannot find anything now. Could anyone give me a place to buy or even some advice on maybe what you guys might have done. Thanks

Get a corksport 80mm if you want bolt on. But don't wait around. When the last batch is gone, you will be sol. Most all the bolton stuff is disco. Might have to go custom.
Youtube will help you with the type of sound your going for. Also get a pope manifold while you can. That will be crazy limited.

Thanks I just looked these up. The last manifold I got was warped. You couldn't tell from looking at the part, it was after I took it back off I could see black marks on the gasket where it had been leaking. I got it off ebay. I am trying to stay clear of ebay. I have come to figure out that spending a little more money for parts on these cars is well worth it.

I actually got mine custom made, mainly because the Corksport system is starting to get kinda rare plus I had a muffler and high-flow cat. Cost me $900 minus tax and it sounds great. Apart from that, you can get a Downpipe and Turbo Manifold from Pope. I've got the DP atm and I love it and will more than likely get the pope mani once I have enough $$$ to spend on it.

Ebay manifold has a lot of problems. Buy a new pope, or used steedspeed/mam.anything tubular is prob gonna have the same problem at some point in its life.

I asked corksport about availability and they will have some at the end of may. but after they sell out that's it. I personally think its too loud but mandrel bent and pretty cheap.
Not sure what custom will cost in your region. Here its pretty obscene.

The only true turbo back were glh and ion iirc and good luck. What you should be looking for is something like that what is that a j pipe back exhaust an s pipe or whatever you call it now and a sweet mani like steed or if you hunt find a mam when it it comes up. I'd recommend the thunder but I have one sitting in a box in my garage with multiple cracks. Was nice while it lasted for what it's worth.

Im thinking about getting the pope manifold and the corksport exhaust and down pipe. I really like that setup!

The Pope manifold will probably last longer than your car. Easily one of the best parts you can buy for your MSP. Once you have it in your hands you'll know exactly what we're all talking about.

If you can find one, the Vibrant Performance exhaust they used to make for the MSP is one of the best systems ever made.

Have some flex sections welded into the Corksport exhaust if you go that route. If not, urethane exhaust hangers and solid motor mounts. The MSP engine and exhaust moves around like crazy with the stock mounts and hangers and will likely crack the welds on the Corksport system.

great choice with the setup. the pope mani and downpipe combo is a steal for the $950 he is asking honestly.. was definitely worth the 12 month wait to get mine lol. im just waiting on a cs exhaust as well and we ill have the same setup. downpipe has a flex in it. but if you get urathane hangers, all the better.

Thanks for the great reviews guys! And Brandon, thank you for the order! I'll get it welded up and on its way to you Saturday morning. If you decide to get a downpipe before I ship the manifold I'll kick back the $50 discount you would get when buying them together.

i just saw pope site saying it would start selling turboback soon (not so soon ...)

heard corksport doesnt sell protege parts anymore

the cheap and easy DIY thing u can do on ur own is getting POPE DP + custom cat(either 3 or 2.5" up to u) + grimmspeed3" to 2.5" downpipe adapter + meganracing 2.5" catback

or get a shop to make 3" DP back for u (i got bunch vibrant 3" parts and cant find any shop doing it cheap for me)

i was thinking about buying a MiG welder and do gasless flux cored weld on my own... but that would ruin the ss corrosion resistant on the welded area i guess

there is no way buying a migwelder and learning how to use it properly on the thin piping used in exhaust is cheaper than paying a qualified welder to do it....post on your local craigslist. just cause an exhaust shop will charge you an arm doesn't mean a dude looking for work will. exhaust is pretty fricken simple for the most part.
what you could do though is buy all the parts you would need, cut it all and mock it up, then dump it in a welders lap and pay for him to put it together. if i wasn't getting CS, id be doing that cause apparently a stainless exhaust would cost me like $2k here heh.

you could also check a local college for welders. you never see the exhaust so the visual aspect is kinda moot. it just has to not leak.

Technically I can build someone an exhaust any time. I just haven't made it official yet. The reason I've been waiting is because I need to get my car done, but at this point if someone wants to buy an exhaust, work on my car has been slow enough that another week doesn't really matter... Figure about $1000 plus shipping for a catless turbo back (includes my downpipe and all of its options), add a standard cat or resonator for $100. All stainless, built on a car to ensure good fit, and easily customized to your needs. If you already have a downpipe the price drops to $600 + shipping.

Technically I can build someone an exhaust any time. I just haven't made it official yet. The reason I've been waiting is because I need to get my car done, but at this point if someone wants to buy an exhaust, work on my car has been slow enough that another week doesn't really matter... Figure about $1000 plus shipping for a catless turbo back (includes my downpipe and all of its options), add a standard cat or resonator for $100. All stainless, built on a car to ensure good fit, and easily customized to your needs. If you already have a downpipe the price drops to $600 + shipping.
That is a steal of a deal guys considering a vibrant 3 inch cost a thousand for just the catless exhaust no DP.

ooooh. any credit if you already baught a downpipe?

ps, we never did get a vid of the exhaust you did for your friend. the dynomax. would you exhaust have at least a resonator or just a straight pipe with muffler? I like the idea of the low noise for cruising, and the battles opening up at wot.. if i got the CS, id be awfuly tempted to adapt it to mate to the stock axleback. just for dd duty.

just a question, anyone done mandrel bend for the mid section behind the cat to where the rear crossmember is

how much would it cost to get a 3" mandrel bended for that section (i got a 3" vibrant ultra Quiet resonator for that section as well so it doesnt have to be that long , just need 2 to 3 bendings)

ps, we never did get a vid of the exhaust you did for your friend. the dynomax. would you exhaust have at least a resonator or just a straight pipe with muffler? I like the idea of the low noise for cruising, and the battles opening up at wot.. if i got the CS, id be awfuly tempted to adapt it to mate to the stock axleback. just for dd duty.

I did, but the quality was pretty poor. Check out bwalt's build thread.

ooooh. any credit if you already baught a downpipe?

Yep $600 plus shipping.

just a question, anyone done mandrel bend for the mid section behind the cat to where the rear crossmember is

how much would it cost to get a 3" mandrel bended for that section (i got a 3" vibrant ultra Quiet resonator for that section as well so it doesnt have to be that long , just need 2 to 3 bendings)

I could easily build it for you. I don't bend the pipe myself, I buy prebent u bends and cut and reweld them as needed.

Back