Exhaust manifold bolts.

tweakingmsp

:
2003.5 MazdaSPEED Protege
I'm switching out my stock mani for a Thunder V2. I was able to get all of the bolts out except for the one pictured. The head started to round off and now I can't get it out. I went and bought some Extreme Grip wrenchs, but they won't fit in that tight area since part of the head sticks out just above the mani. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do???

Attachments

• DSCF2533 2.JPG
    DSCF2533 2.JPG
    232.8 KB · Views: 179
I would cut the head off, once the manifold is off, use a good vice grip and grab the remainder on the bolt. it should come off easily since there is no longer any pressure

gl

I would cut the head off, once the manifold is off, use a good vice grip and grab the remainder on the bolt. it should come off easily since there is no longer any pressure

gl

That's what I was thinking about doing. What could I get down in there to cut it off though? I don't think I can get my Dremel down in there.

dremmel would be my choice, get a properly sized tip and take ur time

If anybody has any other suggestions, that would be great. I won't have a chance to work on this till later.

drive it to me and let me take it off for you..

i can do this.. also, put a ratcheting wrench on it. try to tighten it first.. then loosen. i understand that it's rounded off, but it should still grab w/ one of those.

the only other option outside of a dremel would be to cut a chip in the outer of the head and take a hammer and long screw driver and chisel at it cause it spin. all need to do is break it loose. Dremel is best option though

I just took my mani off. I used 2 different wrenches. The positions were different so I'd alternate back and forth to get to the flats. I had to do that with the one next to it. That spot was tighter.

yea but if you use that with a socket, extender and ratchet you might have a shot

Edit: maybe not. best bet looks to be snapping of the head of the bolt, remove the mani and use a vice like someone else said

Cut it off and get the ARP studs, really helped Zacks car get rid of the leak he had.

http://*************.com/mazdaspeed3.htm

it looks like a correctly sized 6pt socket should still be able to grab on to that bolt...were you using a 6pt or a 12pt?

Last edited:
those damaged bolt removers work soooooo good thats how i got mine off. worth the money but u can always return em when ur done. the bolt i got out with stripped 2 sizes smaller than the one befor. if u wanna get it out go get those craftsman s****

Try putting a couple of bolts back on and tighten, then go to the problem bolt and try to unbolt fisrt as this will take the pressure off of it and it should come off this time!!!
LMK~

Back