Exhaust leak can you put on the exhaust manifold gasket on the wrong way?

cl0zed

:
2003 Mazda Protege Speed
Hi everyone,

I am wondering if you can put on the exhaust manifold gasket on the wrong way? It has these little metal tabs on the top of it should they be pointing towards the engine or the front of the car? It installs both ways.

I also have a leak on cylinder one... is my manifold cracked?

I tightened everything to spec and order. Below are some pics would like your thoughts and recommendations as always thx!

Below are pics of cylinder 1 exhaust leak, I have circled the little indents on the gasket. My car also had odb code of running rich on cylinder 1 would this be causing it?

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

your warped you got to deck the manifold till its true. Sorry boss thats what it sounds like to me.

yeah not flat no more or your threads are stripped on that side and are no longer holding torque which will still cause you to warp.

Could this be the cause of my car running rich and the odb code cylinder 1 rich?

i dont think you can as long as the surface are clean and true a sealwill happen.

i dont think you can as long as the surface are clean and true a sealwill happen.

I took a metal ruler and my manifold is indeed warped. Now what would your recommendation be.

1) take it to a machine shop and have them smooth it out? The manifold is thick.

2) try some rtv high temp sealant around the problem spot?

i used a belt sander from harbor freight that was at least 1.5 x the length of the mani to make it true. It took a few hours with me checking it on a straight blade to make sure it was flat.

Back