Exhaust Gas Recirrculation Valve

brmiley

:
Mazdaspeed Protege..Laser Blue
my car is at Modern Performance Inc. being worked on an he told me i need a new EGR Valve. does anyone know where i can find one cheap.

just take it off

you need it to pass emissions/not have a CEL and you would have to block it off to prevent a major exhaust leak at the turbo manifold and a major vacuum leak at the intake manifold.

the valve can be cleaned. there is no reason at 22,000 miles why you should be forced to replace it.

you need it to pass emissions/not have a CEL and you would have to block it off to prevent a major exhaust leak at the turbo manifold and a major vacuum leak at the intake manifold.

why not just cut the current line,put a breather filter on the intake side and cap off the exhaust side. thats what i have done and you wont throw a cel from it

Last edited:
because when the intake manifold sees boost, the egr will open for lack of a opposite pressure... thus resulting in a boost leak

because when the intake manifold sees boost, the egr will open for lack of a opposite pressure... thus resulting in a boost leak

I didn't, car runs great. Shadow102 runs this as well with no problems and both of us threw a CEL before with it just blocked off.

how much are u boosting? the turbo may just be compensating for the leak by pumping more air = spinning faster than it should

I'll test it out this weekend, recapp it and see how the car handles it.

i'm not going to try to convince you because i don't have any solid proof except for my own experience. and it would be really hard to describe it without showing you an EGR and pointing at sections with my finger...

if u ever get a chance and u dino the car, try putting your hand around the breather and see if u feel air coming outta it.

i'm not going to try to convince you because i don't have any solid proof except for my own experience. and it would be really hard to describe it without showing you an EGR and pointing at sections with my finger...

if u ever get a chance and u dino the car, try putting your hand around the breather and see if u feel air coming outta it.

now im kinda curious about all this..i should be hittin a dyno this weekend and will find out what its doing

yeah I have dynoed with it capped and I have dynoed with the breather on and I can't say if I felt a difference looking at the boost, but I wasn't feelign for air either. I wonder if I could feel it just revving in neutral without a load on it, it'll go into boost just not fully.

yeah I have dynoed with it capped and I have dynoed with the breather on and I can't say if I felt a difference looking at the boost, but I wasn't feelign for air either. I wonder if I could feel it just revving in neutral without a load on it, it'll go into boost just not fully.

i was just thinkin about doing that..cuz my car feels exactly the same when i had the egr as it does now with out it

i really dont think u would feel it without having a load on the engine. the egr has a small spring inside that counteracts the force of the selinoid. when i took my egr out to clean it it felt like it had about a 2-3 pound of force, thats why i dont think it would give u too many problems with low boost, but with a higher amount of pressure. the spring will give and open the egr,however. if the pipe is properly hooked up. the force from the exhaust will push from the other side. and thus keep the egr closed. the exhaust has a higher pressure rating than the boost side.

i hope that makes sense, its really hard to describe it with no pics :(

what did you block the egr ( exhaust manifold line ) with? and which filter did you use for the intake manifold? Just one of those baby cone air filters?

Back