Engine Rattle/Knock

MTV

:
2002 Proteg 5
My engine started making a strange noise this morning. Happens at 3000 RPM...

It makes a rattling sound and doesn't sound too good. Goes away once it hits 4000 RPM. I topped off the oil so we'll see if that helps.

Any ideas what it could be? Maybe a VICS screw that fell into the engine?\

Any help is appreciated,
Matt

The screws falling into the motor would sound like a macine gun & you'd get a CEL when the plug gets smacked. You'd know it. Can't say what your describing sounds any better. Either rod or maybe VICS loose & fixin to come apart. Does it sound like it's up top or down lower?

I'm not thread jacking... you are in the same boat as me... mine starts at about.. eh.. 2600ish and stops at 4 ( maybe idk.. i cant hear it over my intake and exhaust... then comes on again at like 5000,
i have had this problem for about 3 days.. ,maybe 4 days... bave 83319 miles on mine...
things i have tried that have made a LITTLE difference...
#1 SEAFOAM... I used 3 bottles of this stuff... did it three times
#2 changed oil, ( i run synthetic, royal purple for now)
#3 changed oil filter
#4 changed plugs.. ( needed to anyways.. thought it might work.. but it didnt
#5 called mazda and asked them... they said get a stethascope, and listen to the block... did that... it is DEFFINATLY my number 1 and 2 cyc valves
#6 called mazda back and talked to a rep. in the service department... he said it should be adjustd.. 799 for labor.. or some steep price just for labor alone...
#7 SEAFOAMED if again.. just incase....
#8... checked the forums......

so far NONE of these have solved my issue.. I am considering buying cams, new springs and valves and all the goodies all togather just to get rid of it.. however that would not be the right thing to do with little money.. maybe these things will help you narrow down what is wrong with your car??

again... im not trying to thread jack..

If you buy new cams you will have to check the shim thickness for each lobe of both cams, you'll probably have to remove the heads to replace the springs. You are not sure the valves are making the noise, but you think they are.

Go to this shop manual link:
http://www.floptical.net/mazda/
Find checking valve clearances in the engine mechanical section, check the valve clearances and visually inspect the cams for wear or damage. It only takes a few hand tools and a feeler gauge to check them. The manual explains how to check the clearances and what to do if they are not in tolerance. The cams do not have to be removed to change the shims. there is a special tool needed for depressing the cam followers so the shims can be extracted. You can probably buy a universal tool off a tool truck.

Clifton

Last edited:
Back