Engine Coolant Odor Present

After a little over 8000 Km on our 1 year old 2008, and it has started to actually leak coolant. It used be just a whiff of coolant after a longer drive, but now I have droplets of coolant on my garage floor. So, it's going into the closest dealer for sevice. I'm gonna have them look into the knocking when cold issue as well. Very disappointing.

Update. Supposedly, coolant seeping through the water pump, so they will replace the water pump. But, they don't have stock, so ordering it in and is not arriving until next week. Anybody else needed a water pump replaced so soon? Still disappointing as the vehicle is only 1 year old w/ 10k km. My miata didn't need a waterpump until after 15 yrs and 140k miles. I guess my miata mechanic is right... they don't make cars like they used to.

Water pump?
To replace the WP on CX9, one needs to lift the engine up.
Hope it is still under OE waranty.

Big job = $$$

Funny--I just noticed that the coolant smell has gone away in my CX-9. I used to smell it almost every day after getting home from work. I forgot about it until I saw this thread again. I have not smelled it in a LONG time, and never made it a dealer issue.

Got our 9 back 2 days ago. No coolant on the floor so far. Still not luvin' the fact that the motor has to be pulled to get to the water pump though... So, not looking forward to the bill the next time the water pump needs to be replaced.

On my cx-9 i notice a small tube that comes out of the overflow tank that is not attached to anything. I used to get the same smell a while back. I haven't gotten that smell in a long time. To make a long story short i looked under the tube and notice that it is opened. ( Has a hole in it ) maybe this is a vent of sorts. No coolant loss no overheating. I don't know if this is the same for the newer ones. That is what i noticed that this is not attached to anything. This might explain the coolant odor.

Resurrecting this thread because my CX9 (new 2012) smells like burning coolant all the damn time and its annoying as hell!

Back