Engine changes for '22 CX-9?

:
Mazda CX-9 GT AWD
I recently sold my beloved '16 CX-9 because of the coolant issues and after 3k of driving, the oil reeked of gas. It seems like the coolant issues may have been addressed. Was anything changed to address it or should l consider more frequent oil changes a necessity with this vehicle?
Thanks!

the oil reeked of gas
This is a very serious problem that must be found and fixed. Oil that has been thinned with gasoline cannot protect the engine.

This is a very serious problem that must be found and fixed. Oil that has been thinned with gasoline cannot protect the engine.
Mazda blames it on the engine not warming up enough. I was told to add 20-30 minutes to my trips.

TSB

This is a problem with most, if not all, DI engines to some degree. Some are worse than others.
Honda in particular has (had?) a huge issue with their 1.5L turbo engine found in the CR-V and other vehicles. The problem was so bad that Honda was forced to suspend sales in China for a while until they could come up with a fix. It's still a problem, but they issued a recall and did some software tweaks to try and reduce the problem.
Taking short trips, especially in the winter, where the engine never gets a chance to get up to normal operating temperatures doesn't help, that's for sure. That's not really a solution though, is it? I don't think any car manufacturer truly has an answer to this technical problem. All they can do is try and minimize it.

Mazda blames it on the engine not warming up enough. I was told to add 20-30 minutes to my trips.

TSB
Was "Mazda" just a service writer at a dealership? I don't believe the answer. Nothing in the owner's manual nor anywhere else tells us the minimum proper driving time or distance. My 2016 engine's oil never smells of gasoline. I suspect that you have a leaking injector. The fix will be for the dealer, under warranty, to replace all the injectors; that's easier than testing and finding just the one leaker. Go back and talk to the service manager, not just one of the service writers. Phone ahead for an appointment with the service manager if that works best. Also phone the real "Mazda," Mazda North American Operations, (800) 222-5500, before you see the service manager. Ask if significant gasoline in the engine oil is a serious problem. They'll always refer you to the dealership, so inquire what you should ask of the service manager.

Was "Mazda" just a service writer at a dealership? I don't believe the answer. Nothing in the owner's manual nor anywhere else tells us the minimum proper driving time or distance. My 2016 engine's oil never smells of gasoline. I suspect that you have a leaking injector. The fix will be for the dealer, under warranty, to replace all the injectors; that's easier than testing and finding just the one leaker. Go back and talk to the service manager, not just one of the service writers. Phone ahead for an appointment with the service manager if that works best. Also phone the real "Mazda," Mazda North American Operations, (800) 222-5500, before you see the service manager. Ask if significant gasoline in the engine oil is a serious problem. They'll always refer you to the dealership, so inquire what you should ask of the service manager.

Did you read that TSB? Mazda is telling people that take a lot of short trips to replace the oil more frequently.

I feel like people are not really answering the question…Were there changes or not with the latest models? What changes if so…

The only changes i know is a slightly different tuning that bumps the torque to 320 when using 93 octane fuel. The 2021 had a burning oil problem, but not a gas dilution problem. The oil problem should have been fixed for 2022 but it is hard to say conclusively. The answer is: it is not normal to have serious oil dilution problem after 3k of driving. Especially in spring/summer temperature unless your commute is extremely short.

I assume it is still running on the factory oil. My recommendation would be to do an oil change to start from a fresh batch, and monitor to see if the gas dilution issue comes back. If it comes back, get an oil sample sent for analysis to document and confirm the problem. This will have more argumentative weight than the smell of the oil.

Also, if you get bad service from that dealer try another dealer. I also suspect an injector problem, but i can see why dealer wouldn’t change the injector before having more concrete evidence or repeated complaints over time.

Last edited:
"...get an oil sample sent for analysis to document and confirm the problem." Yes.
$30 for the test from Blackstone Labs https://www.blackstone-labs.com/products/free-test-kits/
Or get the sample drawn and sent to a testing lab from any heavy truck repair shop.
An oil analysis that shows gasoline dilution in the oil gives you leverage. $30 very well spent.
Second this. I do one with every oil change now just to keep an eye on things. Hoping it’ll be the first sign of an issue

Back