2013~2016 Electronic parking brake flashing

:
2016 CX5 GT
I had an issue today where the car was a little struggling to start, like the starter / turn over sounded weak and slow, and the brake light was flashing. The electronic parking brake was stuck on. So I turned the car off and after a minute back on again, same issue.

Because it sounded like low battery and with interior lights dimming at crank over, I let the car idle for an hour while I ran errands with the wifes car. Get home and I shut it off and on again and everything is normal.

Should I contact the dealer? Possible brake system issue? Could low battery cause it? Just a little bit on high alert now.

I had an issue today where the car was a little struggling to start, like the starter / turn over sounded weak and slow, and the brake light was flashing. The electronic parking brake was stuck on. So I turned the car off and after a minute back on again, same issue.

Because it sounded like low battery and with interior lights dimming at crank over, I let the car idle for an hour while I ran errands with the wife*s car. Get home and I shut it off and on again and everything is normal.

Should I contact the dealer? Possible brake system issue? Could low battery cause it? Just a little bit on high alert now.

If it happens again. But first, get the battery load tested. If it's the original battery, it might be easier to replace it than bother with the dealer. If it's not a battery issue, then bring it in.

Unless it has something to do with that bad EPB switch that people have had trouble with [and I know nothing about].

I had always heard that idling would NOT charge the battery, that you need some engine speed. For all I know that advice could be left over from the days of generators. Anyone have any insight on that?

I can tell you after letting it idle, it starts right up, no cabin light dimming on every starter rotation. I did just drive 40 minutes highway, no issues.

My indicator came on for maintenance, <250 miles for oil change and tire rotation. Last oil change they said I would need brakes. Maybe they should look at it then.

I did not engage the parking brake tonight. I just put it in park and shut off. Thats habit of 15 years of driving a manual prior to owning this car. I know autozone does free battery load tests, so I can always swing by there. I think one of the kids left a light on or something.

I can tell you after letting it idle, it starts right up, no cabin light dimming on every starter rotation. I did just drive 40 minutes highway, no issues.

My indicator came on for maintenance, <250 miles for oil change and tire rotation. Last oil change they said I would need brakes. Maybe they should look at it then.

I did not engage the parking brake tonight. I just put it in park and shut off. Thats habit of 15 years of driving a manual prior to owning this car. I know autozone does free battery load tests, so I can always swing by there. I think one of the kids left a light on or something.

That's one data point. Can't hurt with cold weather coming on. Hope so!

Christmas lights are already going up in my neighborhood. :)

If you are still on your original battery, with winter coming, I would recommend a new battery ASAP.
The batteries of two of my three Mazdas lasted only 3 yrs.

I never thought about the battery because they lasted about 7 years in my past two VWs and 6 in my wifes old Ford Escape.

Ill have autozone test it. I still have extended warranty but Im sure the battery is a consumable and like printer ink, your on your own for that.

I had the exact same issue a few weeks ago. New battery fixed it. Old battery was four years old

How many miles does your CX-5 have? If your CX-5 has minimum miles and needs new rear brake pads, your 2016 CX-5 may suffer EPB dragging issue described in this TSB.

TSB R052/16C: Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

For me, I use parking brake all the time when I drive a manual in additional to put the gear in 1st or Reverse depending on road slope.

Ok I have appointment next Monday at 9:30. By then I will have gone 250 miles and will need an oil change anyway. Last time they did oil change they noted that my rear brakes were low, and would likely need to be done by next oil change. So I told the service advisor everything that happened and they are going to check the brake system, battery and all brake pads with the oil change. If it is something like a recall or EPB module or something, its still under extended warranty and they will handle it through the warranty company.

Im at around 48,900 miles if I remember right. No issues today starting or braking. I thought I saw the brake light in the dash come on for a second making a very aggressive left turn up a hill. Brake fluid level is right above the min mark.

I had the exact symptom as you. Car has not been driven much the past 2 weeks, has sat for past 8 days since I got another car.

Like you, the start cycle was weak as if battery was low. Then the lights came on. I*ve not experienced any weird activity with brakes or any noises, brake fluid level is fine and such. Drove it for 5 minutes to Trader Joe*s, sat and idled for another 5 minutes and shut it down. Went food shopping, back in car 15 min later and it started fine, no light. Drove in sport mode for 25 minutes to keep rpms up. No warning lights. Came home shut it down, restarted, all fine. It*s original battery since I took delivery in June 2015...yeah I know...calling AAA next week, they will come to your house and replace battery. I*ve had good luck with batteries from AAA on my other cars.

Back