2017~2024 Driver's sun visor

The driver's side sun visor on my 2021 is too small/short, and there is about a one inch gap between it and the door pillar when it is down. When driving into direct sunshine, I have to lean to the right to get out of the light. I don't think I've ever had this problem before in any car I've owned. Does anyone have any ideas other than tinting the top part of the windshield?

I'm sure you could fashion some sort of "curtain" that attaches to the visor and folds out to attach to the door pillar when you need it, but that might be a hassle to do that every time. I think the easiest solution would be to tint the top part of the windshield, but you'll want to check your local laws to see what is legal in terms of coverage and opacity. Or you could keep a pair of sunglasses in the car.

How bout stick a "post-it" note (or 2 or 3) on the edge of the visor in the right spot? You could use your favorite color, or change them up for Holidays etc or draw a smiley face on them to remind yourself how much money you saved :cool:

Low tech for the win!

Thanks for the suggestions (except cx5gt). To clarify this is mostly a problem when the sun is low in the sky, but for my morning commute in the spring/summer it is an everyday issue as I'm driving east the whole way (and wearing sunglasses). It is really badly designed for an otherwise well designed vehicle, maybe they are using this same unit in multiple models?

I was also thinking of a piece of cardboard or something that could flip out into the gap when needed, but haven't thought of a way for it to attach and to look decent when not in use. Other ideas are welcome, thanks.

Maybe this would help.
71BrBg1wLSL._AC_SL1420_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Here. Mine are old and faded so I may get a new set. You used to be able to buy these in Kmarts and Big lots. But no fear, Amazon is here.

Just use the passenger side one on your Drivers side. Or flip the drivers backwards as it seems they might only come as 1 piece now.

Edit:

Better yet. They now have these that extend both ways. See 2nd pic. Already put my order in.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220720-021212.png
    Screenshot_20220720-021212.png
    61.3 KB · Views: 119
  • Screenshot_20220720-025049.png
    Screenshot_20220720-025049.png
    84.9 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
^ That seems like a good option. If you're handy with a rotary tool, you could easily trim the left extender to round it off, that way it would fit right up against the airbag cover when fully extended.

... I don't think I've ever had this problem before in any car I've owned. Does anyone have any ideas other than tinting the top part of the windshield?

I don't. For my own vehicles, I've always done either a strip of tinting across the top of the windshield or tinting the whole windshield.

The nice thing about getting that done is: it's not a kludge; it addresses the problem of sunlight in eyes, but (with the full-windshield approach) can also reduce the risk of UV/heat damage to the dash surface and can keep the car's interior cooler.

A tinting strip across the top ~7" of your windshield might be the best choice. It'll allow you to go darker, to dramatically reduce the glare from sunlight that gets past your visor, and it won't be nearly as expensive as a full windshield tinting.

Here is what I ended up creating. I made it out of thin stiff cardboard (an old file folder) and laminated it. The squared-off extension fits into the slot of the vanity mirror door and then I can slide it back and forth to fill the visor gap as needed. I know it isn't pretty but as HyFlyer said, low tech for the win!

20220731_191130.jpg

Back