Double DIN head unit requires dash kit?

damaster

Zoom Zoomin'
:
2011 CX-9 GT
Does a double DIN head unit, like the Kenwood eXcelon DNX9960, require a dash kit to fit in our cars? I'm thinking not but just want to confirm I order all the right stuff.

Currently have a single DIN Pioneer DEH-P7700MP head unit which obviously requires a dash kit...

i dont have a kenwood, but my pioneer required a cage kit from pioneer and the final trim piece to take up space all around it, but it fits nicely.

i dont have a kenwood, but my pioneer required a cage kit from pioneer and the final trim piece to take up space all around it, but it fits nicely.

Thanks. From the pics of the Kenwood it looks like it comes with the cage kit and trim piece, but I could be mistaken. I was hoping some of the folks who have installed some of the newer double DIN Kenwood eXcelon units could post their feedback.

Btw, congrats on your win for MotM. Your car is slick & very clean. Good job!

Here's a couple pictures of the 9960 installed (if I uploaded correctly!) There is a dash kit in place and Kenwood doesn't include it. It was about 21 bucks. There are several brands on line for the 2010 3 S and I can't tell you what this one is. I had it installed at CarToys. It requires a number of cables and/or harnesses, depending on what you install with the head unit. It wires up to the steering wheel controls, but the functions of some of the buttons are different. The"talk" button does "Seek" on the tuner. Kenwood has a separate button that can be mounted in a comfortable place that you have to push to talk to the unit. Mine is mounted next to the cupholders and just above them. the hang up button on the steering wheel is now dedicated to muting the audio. You have to touch the screen to hang up or give it a voice command. I like the Garmin Nav and the options for tweaking the sound are endless. I like the unit, but you are paying for a DVD player as well, which I won't use. I got this in place of the Garmin 3790 that I had wired in permanently. Truthfully, I kind of wish I had stuck with that an added a double din audio only head unit to get the iPod wired in. It would be about half the cost and that little 3790 is gorgeous

Attachments

• DSCF0844.JPG
    DSCF0844.JPG
    801.7 KB · Views: 387
  • DSCF0842.JPG
    DSCF0842.JPG
    642.5 KB · Views: 312
Here's a couple pictures of the 9960 installed (if I uploaded correctly!) There is a dash kit in place and Kenwood doesn't include it. It was about 21 bucks. There are several brands on line for the 2010 3 S and I can't tell you what this one is. I had it installed at CarToys. It requires a number of cables and/or harnesses, depending on what you install with the head unit. It wires up to the steering wheel controls, but the functions of some of the buttons are different. The"talk" button does "Seek" on the tuner. Kenwood has a separate button that can be mounted in a comfortable place that you have to push to talk to the unit. Mine is mounted next to the cupholders and just above them. the hang up button on the steering wheel is now dedicated to muting the audio. You have to touch the screen to hang up or give it a voice command. I like the Garmin Nav and the options for tweaking the sound are endless. I like the unit, but you are paying for a DVD player as well, which I won't use. I got this in place of the Garmin 3790 that I had wired in permanently. Truthfully, I kind of wish I had stuck with that an added a double din audio only head unit to get the iPod wired in. It would be about half the cost and that little 3790 is gorgeous

You've got a Mazda 3? That's why you needed a dash kit.

I got the DNX9960 a couple of weeks ago and installed it in my Protege. Didn't need a dash kit as it was a straight fit. I'll post pics of my install when I get a chance.

As for the DNX9960 itself: I really like it. It has some quirks that take time to adjust to but otherwise it's a great unit overall.

Oops!....my bad. I didn't even pay attention to which Mazda you were driving! So much for my first post as a first time Mazda owner!

I got a cheap eBay double din unit and it doesn't fill the dash hole up.

Is there a universal dash kit for a generic double din unit?

Back