Does the Protege MP3 NEED to use premium fuel?

T8TRG8TR

I'm planning on getting a used Protege MP3 for my first car. Since I'm a teenager my siblings and I would rather not have to pay for the premium gas. So yeah, just wondering.

On another note, whats the performance like on it?

All help is appreciated

It needs premium to take advantage of the extra 10 HP the different PCM programming the MP3 offers. If you use regular gas, it will run just fine, but it will retard the timing and will have the same performance as the regular Protege. But honestly, even the 10 extra HP doesn't do much at all. You might be able to feel it, you might not. But if you're worried about damaging the car using regular fuel, that's not a problem, as the computer will automatically pull the timing to prevent damage. Go with the cheaper gas if you need to, and if you have some extra money and want to get that 10 extra HP, get rid of as much of the regular gas as possible, fill it with premium, drive home, disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset the PCM, and reconnect the battery. You'll get your extra 10 HP back. Going back to regular, you don't need to go through this, as the PCM will automatically pull the ignition timing as it 'gets used to' the lower-octane regular fuel.

The MP3's advantages are more in the handling department. It has a better suspension and quicker steering than regular Proteges, and this is a difference which you can definitely feel. It is one of the best handling FWD cars ever made, and it manages to achieve this without an overly stiff suspension. Sure, it's stiffer and doesn't soak up bumps as well as the regular Protege, but it is not punishing, even with long trips. Being young, this almost definitely will not be an issue, but be sure to test drive it, including some highway driving on a not-so-perfect road if possible.

The standard stereo is great for a stock system. It has a Kenwood receiver from the factory. Small buttons though.

Be sure to try to hook up with some local Mazda owners if you get the MP3 -- take a look at our Regional Forums.

I think it's a great first car for a teenager. Not too much power that will get you in trouble quickly, and outstanding handling, and a decent stock stereo. Good reliability, not too old, and not a lot of money.

Last edited:
Yes, it needs premium. If you use lower octane gas, your motor will knock, and the ecu will retard the timing and change your fuel map to run more rich as a precaution. This will result in poor gas mileage and decreased performance.

We just met the owner of the Protege, and he said when he started running it with regular, he actually got better gas mileage.

Straight from the manual:

Protege Manual said:
Your Mazda will perform best with premium unleaded fuel having an octane rating (antiknock index) of at least 91 [(R+M)/2 method].

You may use regular unleaded gasoline with a rating from 87 to 90; this will slightly reduce performance.

Attachments

• mazda_mp3_fuel_manual.jpg
    mazda_mp3_fuel_manual.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 283
We just met the owner of the Protege, and he said when he started running it with regular, he actually got better gas mileage.

Some people choose to smoke crack.
Basically, he either adjusted his driving habits or he is very mistaken.
running lower octant will cause the car to run rich meaning it uses more fuel, not less.

I've been running 87 octane since 2002 and I get 30-33 mpg with exclusive highway driving. ~400 miles/week. (I sure miss cruise control!)

I never race this car so I can't say how big of a performance difference there is.

To answer the original posters question, What is performance like?

It's all relative, but in my opinion, I'd say from a straight line performance point of view it's abysmal. Maybe the most under powered car I've ever driven, but I haven't driven many other cars in the same class. So it could be a rocket compared to other similar cars.

However, it handles like it's on rails. I haven't been able to push the car to the limit on city streets. It's a fairly comfortable ride and the interior is relatively high quality. You'll have to deal with the sway bar clunks and squeaks but other than that for me it's been mostly regular maintenance.

Last edited:
I would just use premium for the peace of mind, it'll cost you like an extra $2 every time you fill up.

And the MP3 in stock form is quick enough in my opinion. I had an automatic P5 and that bastard was sloooow. When I first bought the MP3 I honestly thought it felt pretty good for stock. I mean it wasn't fast, but it wasn't way slow either.

Definitely a great car, just take care of her cuz there was only 1500 produced in the US.

Back