Do you have another "non-family" car in the driveway? Looking at getting a second car

Please do try out a Fiesta ST. Try a Focus ST. It is a blast to drive, but I will warn you that mine has had its fair share of problems./QUOTE]

What kind of problems, the Fiesta St is on the short list of replacements for the 5. The GTI is as well, I drove a manual GTI and loved it. I would love an Audi, BMW, or Mercedes wagon used, but the reliability scares me.

The reliability on those cars scare me too. Exactly why I turned down the new GTI. It is a great car otherwise. I can't speak for the new 2015 Focus ST but the 2013-14 are fun but questionable. They have rampant electrical issues and transmission issues. Mine has all of 2500 miles and has been serviced 5 times. I still can't use my AC or the car will stall when I push the clutch in. ECU has been recalibrated a few times on mine. There is a TSB for the stalling issue but getting Ford to do anything is tough. Lot of Focus STs have had early clutch failures and synchro failures. Slave cylinders are bad in them. The torque vectoring system in them is very sensitive to road crown. It tries to pull the car off the road, very annoying. Mine has an issue with second gear. It is very tough to engage and very loud. Seems like a synchro issue. I have my Focus ST up for sale because of the non stop problems. I don't see nearly as many complaints on the Fiesta ST however. One car I thoroughly do not recommend is the Civic Si. I had a 2013 and that was hands down the worst car I had ever owned.

I'm curious as well. Do you feel confident recommending the Fiesta ST over the Focus ST in spite of your troublesome experience with the Focus?

Also, perhaps I was used to my Corolla's seats, but when I sat in the Fiesta ST at the car show, the seats felt entirely over-bolstered, bordering on uncomfortable (and I am not THAT overweight - 5'9, 170lbs).

Regarding BMWs, my 2007 335i was in the shop several times during the short period that I owned it. Although I know that model was one of the most unreliable models they've put out in the past decade or so, still left me feeling jaded.

My dad offered to loan me his '02 z06 while I get settled in to my new home (we're moving somewhere I will need a car to commute, hence the new car). I might defer buying a second card as long as possible :)

The Z06 sounds like a lot of fun. The Fiesta ST doesn't have nearly the problems reported as the Focus ST. The base fiesta gets a bad rap due to the DCT automatic transmissions. Those transmissions are junk in the Focus base models too. My gut said go with the fiesta when I drove them both several times but I went with the extra power and more interior space and regret it. The clutch and shifter were much smoother in the Fiesta as well. The Focus ST has a heavy gritty feeling clutch and heavy feeling throws in the shifter. The Fiesta was just a joy to toss around. Only thing I didn't like was the very short take up on the clutch in it. It was very smooth but grabbed like a CM coming off the floor. The recaro seats do get some complaints but they are an option. An over priced 2999$ option. Try one with the non recaros. The bolstering is much more tolerable.

Image? How about an IS300 or IS350?
I guess the engines are too big then?
It would have to be a Cooper. The gas mileage to fun ratio is fantastic.

Nobody said the original motor would be in there buddy! A crate LS7 with a supercharger will be going under the hood, and its a fine daily driver. Gets great milage until you put your foot in it. The wife and I have been discussing this car and we are actively searching for the car now. Then its a full strip, restore and build. starting with getting the motor in from the local chev performance dealer 4 hrs away. After that its off to Year one for their suspension, interior and wheels. To buy one fully built from year one its 150,000 bucks. However, I should be in for much less than that because I am doing all the work myself. My work is restoration and modification of snowmobiles, motorcycles and atvs/utvs. So I figure I can handle a bigger project in the car.

But back on topic, you could daily drive a LS powered car all day and get better milage than some compacts.

Last edited:
I'll be working as a litigation attorney in Miami, so I think I will need something with a little more "flash", unfortunately
I'd rather buy a car that transcends class, i.e. a Miata, Mini, Prius, or GTI, than one that is usually associated with "upper class",
Perhaps our view of class is different but attorney typically put you into upper middle class and upper class should you make partner. While the suggestions here are nice driver cars, they wont do for image, esp in Miami! The only cars that transcends class are the Prius/Leaf/Volt but thats b/c of their niche (but not so nice date cars). You probably want something a step above the interns (yes, not all interns are poor). Not that this should be your driving reason but have a look at your peers but somethings gotta give.

The C30 R design is a nice suggestion! Or any lux/entry lux vert (lightly used) for image and date nights.

I have extensive (as in tattoos for loyalty) experience with VW. If you're considering one, the 2.5L is the most Japanese like engine. Do not consider an automatic if it isn't a DSG. The TDI (diesel) is really their best offering. My TDI Convertible 6-speed manual gets 42, top down, at 70. Higher with the roof up and saner speeds. City is never below 35mpg. That works out to 570-660mi of range for roughly $40 in diesel (it's give or take 25 to 30 cents more than regular, and often cheaper than premium -- which the GTI will require).

You can get it in the Golf, Beetle, Passat, or Jetta. Though my biases are the Beetle or "Golf Sportwagen" (previously the Jetta Sportwagen), and the Passats are built in Tennessee and can be built-to-order if you're exceptionally particular.

I bought the van for a need for height and requirement of a stick shift. Mazda doesn't offer the latter, and soon won't offer the vehicle at all. This will probably be the only Mazda I own. I'll always have two or three VW diesels scattered about the property. My mothers 99 just hit 220k the other day, my dad's 98 Jetta had 275k when it was totaled by a teenage driver, and my personal record was a 98 Beetle at 289k - original engine and rebuilt transmission - totaled in an accident. That said, as mechanically sound as it is, I got really creative with modifying the interior on that beetle because it fell apart. VW got their interiors together around 2006, and I haven't seen any of the issues that the MK4 platform had with the MK5 or MK6 (and now, MK7) platform (generation) vehicles.

If you just can't stomach it, though, Audi offers the same [diesel] engine in the A3 and a V6 variant in the bigger cars.

Last edited:
That's a lot of time effort and money to put into one of those. If it's Camaros and Firebirds you like why not build something that will earn it's keep, like a '69SS or some kind of 1st gen ragtop?

For 150 grand, you could buy 2 2015 Corvettes. A new Z06 for you and a 'vert for the wife

Last edited:
That's a lot of time effort and money to put into one of those. If it's Camaros and Firebirds you like why not build something that will earn it's keep, like a '69SS or some kind of 1st gen ragtop?

For 150 grand, you could buy 2 2015 Corvettes. A new Z06 for you and a 'vert for the wife

Because I don't want one. I want the Trans am built. That's why. I do all the work myself, so its a project. It has nothing to do with future value, or anything like that. Its about owning a badass awesome performing T/A from the bandit era. Simple as that. I could argue the same for people modifying any current import style car. Because I bet, in another 20 years, my T/A will bring in what I paid for it while any import will be 1500.00 bucks at best, no matter what it is. STI, EVO etc included. Because its not true muscle car, Just like music, the real bands will always be in style while the crap that's on the radio is a one hit wonder and its gone, like a fad.

Thanks for the great suggestions, all.

Unfortunately I won't be picking up any older sports cars, since I'll be putting a lot of miles on her in traffic (wouldn't want to subject a nice RX-7 to that fate).

I hadn't considered a Volvo, but will look into it. I need something that will not be too flashy (since I'll still be an associate), or too dull (since I will be an attorney), too sporty (since I may be driving colleagues and clients), but fun enough for a commute. Usable backseat space is a must, so GT-86 and Fiesta ST are out. I've decided that 4 doors is a must too.

Right now I'm thinking a Golf, GTI, CPO 328i, 4 door Cooper. Will look into a Volvo as well, although I might hold off and buy a new XC90 when I make partner :p

I say drive the ZO6 for as long as you can. I know you don't care for American cars but you can get a corvette at a good price, gas millage is not bad, and they are not hard to work on. Plus it would be great for the image and a nice date night car. That is what I would get if I was looking for what you are looking for.
Don't get me wrong, an RX7 would be high on the list but I get where you would not want to put miles on it.
And I love the miata but I do not see one and say that person is rolling large. ;)

Good luck in your search!

I say drive the ZO6 for as long as you can. I know you don't care for American cars but you can get a corvette at a good price, gas millage is not bad, and they are not hard to work on. Plus it would be great for the image and a nice date night car. That is what I would get if I was looking for what you are looking for.
Don't get me wrong, an RX7 would be high on the list but I get where you would not want to put miles on it.
And I love the miata but I do not see one and say that person is rolling large. ;)

Good luck in your search!

Thanks! I will probably delay a decision a while so I can prolong the z06 in the driveway :)

I really think you should consider the Passat. That's more of an Associate's car, has a lot of options, but isn't astronomically priced. It's got lux, but it's not a slug. If you're going to consider an S60, I'd give it a consideration too. (We have two Volvos as well... we're partial to them)

Out of the options you feel you have narrowed it to I would suggest the GTI or the Mini. They have nice interiors and are a lot of fun. You can still thoroughly enjoy them as driver's cars when you don't have a client (if you are so inclined.) Regardless what you decide I hope you enjoy it and are happy with it. Hate for people to wind up with a disappointing car.

Out of the options you feel you have narrowed it to I would suggest the GTI or the Mini. They have nice interiors and are a lot of fun. You can still thoroughly enjoy them as driver's cars when you don't have a client (if you are so inclined.) Regardless what you decide I hope you enjoy it and are happy with it. Hate for people to wind up with a disappointing car.

I will definitely be test driving the Mini and the GTI. I've had a few Mini's, so I know how fun, practical, and luxurious they can be. I will also give a hard look at the standard Golf. The new 1.8T engine is supposed to be a gem, with power output roughly equal to the previous gen GTI. I will test drive them both to see if the GTI is really worth thousands more.

I will definitely be test driving the Mini and the GTI. I've had a few Mini's, so I know how fun, practical, and luxurious they can be. I will also give a hard look at the standard Golf. The new 1.8T engine is supposed to be a gem, with power output roughly equal to the previous gen GTI. I will test drive them both to see if the GTI is really worth thousands more.

I recently went and drove and checked out the 1.8T and GTI golfs since I put my ST up for sale. I felt the GTI was just in a different league than the 1.8T. Compared to an equivalent base Focus, Civic, Corolla etc... I'd take the 1.8T golf, and I'm sure that engine has room for aftermarket improvement. The GTI felt every bit as fast as my ST. Handling seemed pretty much on par as well. You will like either one I'm sure, and VWs always look fairly classy. Not like my bright yellow ST lol.

Thanks for the great suggestions, all.

Unfortunately I won't be picking up any older sports cars, since I'll be putting a lot of miles on her in traffic (wouldn't want to subject a nice RX-7 to that fate).

I hadn't considered a Volvo, but will look into it. I need something that will not be too flashy (since I'll still be an associate), or too dull (since I will be an attorney), too sporty (since I may be driving colleagues and clients), but fun enough for a commute. Usable backseat space is a must, so GT-86 and Fiesta ST are out. I've decided that 4 doors is a must too.

Right now I'm thinking a Golf, GTI, CPO 328i, 4 door Cooper. Will look into a Volvo as well, although I might hold off and buy a new XC90 when I make partner :p
When you make partner, nothing less than Cayenne GTS or X5 M ;)

It sounds like you are a pretty sensible person and likley have an idea of what you want. Some others to consider are any of the OEM tuner lines models like M or AMG. The OEM tuner version will give you the driving dynamics along with the badge for image. On that note, consider the S60 R. Unlike the C30 R, which is just a body kit, the S60 R is the forgotten underachiever of the euro lines. Cannot compare to M or AMG but this means it is within attainable price range. It is not quite Polstar but this car seems to check off all of your boxes, except the small car part but is compact size really an issue in Miami?

Also, you do realize you are asking/polling a bunch of Mz5 owners, right?... :p

Be more on your own instead of the sea of twats in Merc's and bimmers, get a new Jag or better yet, a Jeep grand Cherokee SRT.

I didn't see that it had to be a compact, but he did say that decent mpg is a must. The minis and even the mazda3 have small back seats. A mazda 6 has nice room, looks, and good mpg and can be had in a manual for fun factor. I like the Volvo ideas as well. Maybe even a cpo audi would be an idea.

Back