Do BOV's need any kind of maintenance?

ZenProtege

Contributor
:
Mazda Protege Titanium 03.5
I bought a BOV recently that was used but in great condition. I installed it on my car today with a temporary setup that I put together. The BOV seemed to work but it just wasn't very loud at all. It was about like the stock one just w/ a different noise. I tried every adjustment on the screw but it really didn't seem to change that much unless it was all the way up or down. The way I have it setup up and the way it is in this picture is different though. I have 2 different size hoses w/ a PVC coupler in the middle connecting it straight into the stock BPV nipple. I blocked off the Nipple on the intake side and ran the stock BPV vaccum line to the BOV. All connections are very tight. Any ideas.

Attachments

• v1.jpg
    v1.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 172
I was thinking that there might be a part that should be greased or cleaned that might be getting stuck

I've bought a few blow off valves online. I have taken them apart to clean them when I first received it but thats all I've ever done. Oh and wipe them down. The blow off valve will not sound very different at low boost maybe at higher boost 10psi.

What kind of bov is that? I remember when I had the turboxs rfl at stock boost you couldnt hear anything but now I replaced it with a greddy type s and its alot louder at stock boost. You will hear it more when the boost is raised though

all i know is that certain BOV's are louder then others. that's why i stick with the one's i know are loud and reliable. i got the Greddy Type S.

Where did you get that setup for the BOV? That's what I need to run my GReddy type-s.

Hardware store.... I found a PVC coupler that just happend to be the sizes I needed to fit the BOV and nipple on the intercooler pipe. Used Heater core hose and found the cheapest radiator hose auto zone had to couple it all together

I took my bov apart and cleaned all the crud that was stuck in it out and put a little lithium grease on the spring..... it seems to be working a little better now. Does anything need to be done to the rubber diaphram? I think tapping off the brake booster vacuum line will probably help out a lot so thats what I will be doing next. The valve sounds cool...its a real high pitch noise that sounds just like my friends STI from need for speed underground

Back