Disable power folding mirror?! 2019 CX-5 Signature

:
2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature (Machine Gray)
Anyone know how to turn off the automatic folding mirrors?

I don't have a spot in the garage at the moment so my vehicle is parked outside. We just got an inch of snow and some cold weather through Cleveland this week.

I went out this morning to drive to work and my driver side power folding mirror wouldn't open. I sat and let the car warm up for 10 mins then tried it again and it finally worked. No biggie...

I went out after work to drive home and then my passenger power folding mirror wouldn't open. I sat and let the car warm up for 10 mins and still wouldn't work (I could hear it trying though). I rolled down my passenger window is just gave it a little jostle and wallah! It opened.

During the winter I think I would rather disable them than have to wait to go to work or drive home, or put strain on the motor since they automatically try to open when I unlock the car. If there was an emergency I wouldn't be able to drive safely with the lack of a side mirror. I read through the owner's manual and the closest thing I could find was here: https://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/cx-5/cx-5_8gj1ee18b/contents/04060101.html

I have the type A power folding mirror switch (integrated with the L/R adjustment) but no mention of how to just disable this feature. I went out to my car and moved it to L and R instead of the neutral position but they still close when I lock the car.

I saw the 'cold weather' note in the owner's manual as well but it's cold, snowy, and icy 5 months out of the year here so not very ideal. When I looked at the mirrors there was no obvious snow or ice on them.

So, does anyone know how to turn off the automatic folding mirrors?
- Checked the infotainment and no option
- Looked for a button around the car with no luck

Last edited:
Here is how you can cancel and/or restore the folding-mirror function:

Canceling the automatic folding function

To cancel the automatic folding function,
carry out the following procedure using
the master control switches.
1. Switch the ignition ON.
2. If the power window lock switch is in
the unlock position, switch it to the
lock position.
3. Press and hold the front passenger's
power window switch and rear left/
right power window switches on the
driver's door at the same time for 3
seconds or longer.
NOTE
* The automatic folding function cannot
be canceled if the procedure is not
completed within the specified times, or
the procedure is changed along the way.
To redo the procedure, first switch the
ignition off and proceed from the
beginning.
* If you are unable to cancel the function
despite doing the cancellation
procedure, consult an Authorized Mazda
Dealer.
Restoring the automatic folding
function
With the automatic folding function in the
canceled state, repeat the previous
procedure for canceling the function and it
will be restored.
NOTE
If you are unable to restore the function
despite carrying out the restore procedure,
consult an Authorized Mazda Dealer.

Thank you all a bunch! I swear I searched the forum and didn't find anything... poor search-foo on my part. Appreciate the info and I'll try this in the morning!

Here is how you can cancel and/or restore the folding-mirror function:

Canceling the automatic folding function

To cancel the automatic folding function,
carry out the following procedure using
the master control switches.
1. Switch the ignition ON.
2. If the power window lock switch is in
the unlock position, switch it to the
lock position.
3. Press and hold the front passenger's
power window switch and rear left/
right power window switches on the
driver's door at the same time for 3
seconds or longer.
NOTE
* The automatic folding function cannot
be canceled if the procedure is not
completed within the specified times, or
the procedure is changed along the way.
To redo the procedure, first switch the
ignition off and proceed from the
beginning.
* If you are unable to cancel the function
despite doing the cancellation
procedure, consult an Authorized Mazda
Dealer.
Restoring the automatic folding
function
With the automatic folding function in the
canceled state, repeat the previous
procedure for canceling the function and it
will be restored.
NOTE
If you are unable to restore the function
despite carrying out the restore procedure,
consult an Authorized Mazda Dealer.

That worked, thanks a ton!

I tried this,exactly as written in the manual this morning but mirrors keep folding. When it says "press" does it really mean "lift?"

I switched mine off the second day I had the car. You can always retract the mirrors by turning the mirror adjustment knob 180 degrees.

I switched mine off the second day I had the car. You can always retract the mirrors by turning the mirror adjustment knob 180 degrees.

Same here.

I have no desire to needlessly wear out the motors, and have only occasionally retracted the mirrors.

I tried this,exactly as written in the manual this morning but mirrors keep folding. When it says "press" does it really mean "lift?"

You can try that. My pdf manual says "Press," but I swear I remember lifting the switches.

You can try that. My pdf manual says "Press," but I swear I remember lifting the switches.
This is very late in the game, but just thought I'd post in case it helps others who find this thread.

When the manual says "press and hold the front passenger's power window switch", it means the switch on the driver's door - not the switch on the passenger's door. That's what I was doing, and it meant for some pretty difficult gyrations - had to hold buttons down on both doors at the same time! Once I used the 3 switches all on the driver's door, it worked like a charm.

Hello this maybe is not about automatic folding but I have Mazda CX 5 2016 model and my driver side mirror folds way slower then the other one and 3 days ago when I want to unfold mirrors driver side open to the end but motors keep working and it dosen't stop unfolding it just jerkes( driver side is perfect). Problem is that my nearest mazda dealer is 250km away. I tried with wd40 but it didn't work. Anyone know the solution?

Sounds like something is damaged internally... maybe it had frozen closed and tried to open, striping the gears (or similar). I agree with your initial thought... dealer visit.

Sounds like something is damaged internally... maybe it had frozen closed and tried to open, striping the gears (or similar). I agree with your initial thought... dealer visit.
Bring this to dealer, and save your $ ;)

Attachments

• MC-10171848-0001.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 85
Thank you very much. But do you think can a local workshop or mehanic repair it because am not planing to go in other country (where is located nearest mazda dealer), because i don't have that much time.

any idea of you can get the folding mirrors to operate when the car is switched off? it seems counterintuitive to have to turn on ACC or the car to active them. thanks!

not possible unless you supply power and that can be done only if switching ACC or starting the car. Thats if auto fold is disabled.

That’s what I figured. both the bmw and vw we last owned had power foldaway mirrors with acc/car on and I sure wish mine did.

Back