digital clock losing minutes?

tidriver

:
Mazda CX-9 GT AWD
This is a minor issue but it compounds when left alone.
My digital clock (non-nav) loses a minute a week. After 2 weeks it'll be 2 minutes slow etc... Anyone else have this problem?

anyone bring it back to the dealer about a fix for clock?
I find it hard to believe that a simple thing like a digital clock would lose time.

actually most digital clocks will lose time....they are not completely accurate unless they connect to the atomic clock some how...my aftermarket jvc hu's clock loses about 2 mins a week almost...i let it go about 3 months and it was way off

yeah all digital clocks do this. Some are a lot worse than others. Ironically computers are very poor at keeping time. If your personal or work computer doesn't sync itself with a time server (which hopefully is syncing with the atomic clock), it will lose time as well.

I agree that all (most) digital clocks will lose time but not at the rate of 1 minute per week. My cheap digital watch loses about 1 second per month (so it would take 5 years to lose 1 minute) and its timekeeping circuitry is based on exactly the same principles as any other digital clock. My digital clocks at home are only ever reset every 6 months when daylight saving time starts and finishes so accuracy can be achieved. The CX-9 is the first car where I have ever had a clock that loses a minute per week.

Given a number of people have the problem it is no doubt a design flaw. Probably a component slightly out of tolerance or someone screwed up with the divider programming. Either way I doubt Mazda will do anything about it. The only way they could fix it would be to replace the clock module (hopefully with an accurate one) but that would involved pulling the dash apart. That would just introduce even more rattles than there already are so I will just keep reseting the clock every week.

well I cant agree with you guys because not all the digital clocks lose minutes, I ve had two benzes before my cx-9 and I never had the same problem with them. Like SydneyGuy said cx-9 is the first car I ve ever had with a clock that loses one or two minutes per week.

well I cant agree with you guys because not all the digital clocks lose minutes, I ve had two benzes before my cx-9 and I never had the same problem with them. Like SydneyGuy said cx-9 is the first car I ve ever had with a clock that loses one or two minutes per week.

my old digital watch lost time as does my current hu....a jvc i put in....as a whole, unless it has connection to the atomic clock, MOST digital clocks will lose time

I accept the fact that digital clocks will lose minutes over time, but a minute a week is just piss poor. Everyone, not just me has countless digital clocks at home (microwaves, stoves, tv's, clock radios, watches) and in their cars (how many cars have you owned) etc... and I NEVER had to adjust any of them for lost minutes, needless to say adjust them weekly. To the poster who has the JVC and the cx-9, sorry you have some bad luck.

Bottom line, Mazda either got cheap and put in inferior time keeping boards or they got had by a chinese mfg and got defective time boards.

Service notifications

Is there any notification/reporting system in place at Mazda that would automatically call in the affected VIN numbers for repair, even if the issue is not elevated to recall level? Ford's OASIS report system really works well.

Back