Diesel CX5 has landed in the USA

Reading that article and what others here have said the same thing. The Mazda CX-5D is a not a good purchase at $41K for the typical savvy buyer mainly because it has nothing (ZERO) beneficial over the CX-5T and it cost more. It's like just giving your money away for no reason at all. Now if it had a $25K price tag it might be worth looking at.

I'm honestly just appalled at it. Its shameful. Like showing up to a powerlifting meet and squatting 315# lifting in the 100kg class after running your mouth for 3 years and posting bad cropped mirror pix of yourself and then blaming mandatory drug testing for your limp performance.

I hear ya!

Mazda may actually get to (more like have to) advertise pricing and discounts for a change, even the 20-25% off MSRP ones like their competitors use. Unfortunately, this time it will be to get a car down to what should've been it's initial price from the start, the 2.2Dud CX-5. Probably still won't sell. smh.

Your posts using gun and now powerlifting references crack me up. Because both have been long time interests and participation so I get what you are saying when you use them. Made me smile to read this.

Ty! At least one good thing came of the cx5D

C&D got 34 in their highway testing vs 30 in the same test w/the sig turbo- latter of which surprised me more. Not saying that's great or even nearly good enough, but it is better. Depending where you live with current gas/diesel spreads and if you do mostly open highway it still could make some sense, just not a premium to the turbo- it should have occupied the middle imo with std GT trim available at a max 2k premium to NA. Highly doubt it'll stick around more than a model year or 2 which is sad but a fail is a fail. Even if it had the 200/310+ that were early rumors AND hit high 30s highway it'd be a tough sell, now it has literally no chance.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28692788/2019-mazda-cx-5-diesel-beat-epa-mpg/

Last edited:
C&D got 34 in their highway testing vs 30 in the same test w/the sig turbo- latter of which surprised me more. Not saying that's great or even nearly good enough, but it is better. Depending where you live with current gas/diesel spreads and if you do mostly open highway it still could make some sense, just not a premium to the turbo- it should have occupied the middle imo with std GT trim available at a max 2k premium to NA. Highly doubt it'll stick around more than a model year or 2 which is sad but a fail is a fail. Even if it had the 200/310+ that were early rumors AND hit high 30s highway it'd be a tough sell, now it has literally no chance.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28692788/2019-mazda-cx-5-diesel-beat-epa-mpg/

If you keep reading they say (for the limited time they've had it), that it is averaging 25mpg in their daily driving, while their long-term test CX5 turbo is averaging 23.

A whopping 2mpg better (albeit in a limited test).

I am betting that the non-diesel, non-turbo 2.5L is faster AND gets better fuel economy in daily driving.
(Also this de-bunks the "torque is meaningful for all-out 1/4 mile times and 0-60 times" crowd, me bets!)

If you keep reading they say (for the limited time they've had it), that it is averaging 25mpg in their daily driving, while their long-term test CX5 turbo is averaging 23.

A whopping 2mpg better (albeit in a limited test).

I am betting that the non-diesel, non-turbo 2.5L is faster AND gets better fuel economy in daily driving.
(Also this de-bunks the "torque is meaningful for all-out 1/4 mile times and 0-60 times" crowd, me bets!)

Only 23 MPG for the 2.5T??

Mine is averaging 25 MPG and this is combined city/highway and averaged over about 7k mi. I believe others here are seeing about the same.

I'm curious why C&D is only seeing 23 MPG unless it's all city stop and go.

In any event, the diesel needs to get at least 30 MPG combined to simply offset today's higher price of diesel. (excluding all the other factors)

IMHO the Diesel is a "stillborn". Mazda's too small to absorb major blunders like this.

Last edited:
I think were missing the point on the NA launch of a skyactiv diesel. IMHO, its Mazda's way of saying we don't have electric tech (yet), but little Mazda was able to bring forth diesal offerings that meet California's strict requirements without cheating (looking at you VW, 2nd largest car maker in the world.) Essentially a milestone.

I think were missing the point on the NA launch of a skyactiv diesel. IMHO, its Mazda's way of saying we don't have electric tech (yet), but little Mazda was able to bring forth diesal offerings that meet California's strict requirements without cheating (looking at you VW, 2nd largest car maker in the world.) Essentially a milestone.

A milestone for what? Others are already doing the diesel in this segment and killing Mazda's claimed EPA MPG by over 30%, looking at you Chevy Equinox. Let them waste the money, they have it to burn, or so it seems.

A milestone for a small company to meet strict CA diesel requirements. Chevy has the US government's backing. That said MAzda's next miles stone should be Skyacti-X hybrid.

Last edited:

^^So what's the point of "showcasing" their diesel accomplishment if no one cares. The numbers make no sense, the reviews are mostly negative and there's negligible demand. I doubt the California market will save the model.

Last edited:

Cool. They're just as good as GM, now, except their diesel gets only 2/3 the mileage and took almost half a decade longer to figure out. Yay them. So impressed.

Last edited:
C&D got 34 mpg in real world testing. I have never seen more than 30 on a highway unless I am under 65-70. So its good - but their combined came in 3 lower than EPA #. Confused so in city they got 24 mpg or something???

C&D got 34 mpg in real world testing. I have never seen more than 30 on a highway unless I am under 65-70. So its good - but their combined came in 3 lower than EPA #. Confused so in city they got 24 mpg or something???

I believe I'm at about 29mpg or 28.8 right on on this tank (120mi driven so far) with my CX5 turbo. If I tried, I bet I could hit 30mpg, or very near, for a tank without becoming a road hazard.

Man thats' not too shabby. Perhaps Mazda should've developed a 2.0 diesel let alone turbo. Chevy uses a 1.6 vs Mazda's 2.5. Big difference on paper in terms of MPGs already.

Man thats' not too shabby. Perhaps Mazda should've developed a 2.0 diesel let alone turbo. Chevy uses a 1.6 vs Mazda's 2.5. Big difference on paper in terms of MPGs already.

Yeah, and as much as C&D LOVES the CX5, even they really worked to say nice things in their article, and you note they somehow didn't bother to have any acceleration figures for us...but somehow they've already put 400mi on it...

Back