Did a little logging with the 1.03 map...wow

AutoEuphoria

:
'08 CPW Mazdaspeed 3
Seems like I have an issue...(boom05) - look specifically between sample # 55 and 61

DataLog201-31-09.jpg

That was done in thrid gear and with the following mods:

- Cobb SRI
- Cobb AccessPort
- SU silicone boost tubes
- RPMC turbo inlet pipe
- CS catless downpipe
- CS catless test pipe
- Forge BPV

Might just be an issue for me, and me alone...I don't know. I sent an email off to Cobb, so hopefully I'll hear back something. At this point, though, my thoughts are to take everything back to stock and just go a different direction with the whole thing. I have been completely unsuccessful in trying to get consistent performance out of this car, and even though the right combination of parts may exist to make that happen, I'm tired of spending money in search of it. Sorry for the mini-rant...I just haven't owned a car that was this hard to modify since the FD. And yes, I realize that an aftermarket fuel pump upgrade would probably take care of the fuel pressure problem, and I had originally been planning on getting one before spring anyway, even before this log. But when the map notes say 19psi peak and you end up seeing (and holding) 22+...that's a big difference, and just shouldn't happen. Sorry Cobb...it's just frustrating when you spend that kind of money and still can't get reliable and consistent results. I hope to hear back from them today to see if they have any ideas or suggestions.

Also, this is not meant to bash Cobb or the AP. It works for a lot of people, and is a great device. It just doesn't seem to be working in my case, but I am one case in a thousand success stories. My rant was mainly at the overall process of modifying this car, which just hasn't been pleasant for me at all. Everytime I change something 3 other issues come up.

Last edited:
Yup...decided I am just going to take everything back to stock. Just getting out of this game before I blow the car up.

I do not think that you can blame cobb or the AP.

There is no map that was tested with your configuration. The catless downpipe and test pipe are not part of any map. Yes they are close but they are not exact. I am not making excuses either. I also realize that there are people not having luck with just a Cobb SRI and the correct map or stock map.

I do know that even in the Subie world these same problems exist. The 07 STI would blow up with a catless DP. Ok maybe a little extreme but cobb did provide a write up.
Reference this http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/images/ServiceBulletinfor2007WRXSTiPotentialOverboostIssues100.pdf

They were also very specific about what can deviate from test conditions...

I am sorry about the problems you are having. I think that you have taken one of the two smart ways to go. Back to stock or a protune with a "good"
tuner.

If I modify my car (out of the warranty period :) ) I will take it to Tim Bailey since he is a very good tuner and not too far.

Last edited:
Seems like I have an issue...(boom05) - look specifically between sample # 55 and 61

DataLog201-31-09.jpg

That was done in thrid gear and with the following mods:

- Cobb SRI
- Cobb AccessPort
- SU silicone boost tubes
- RPMC turbo inlet pipe
- CS catless downpipe
- CS catless test pipe
- Forge BPV

Might just be an issue for me, and me alone...I don't know. I sent an email off to Cobb, so hopefully I'll hear back something. At this point, though, my thoughts are to take everything back to stock and just go a different direction with the whole thing. I have been completely unsuccessful in trying to get consistent performance out of this car, and even though the right combination of parts may exist to make that happen, I'm tired of spending money in search of it. Sorry for the mini-rant...I just haven't owned a car that was this hard to modify since the FD. And yes, I realize that an aftermarket fuel pump upgrade would probably take care of the fuel pressure problem, and I had originally been planning on getting one before spring anyway, even before this log. But when the map notes say 19psi peak and you end up seeing (and holding) 22+...that's a big difference, and just shouldn't happen. Sorry Cobb...it's just frustrating when you spend that kind of money and still can't get reliable and consistent results. I hope to hear back from them today to see if they have any ideas or suggestions.

Also, this is not meant to bash Cobb or the AP. It works for a lot of people, and is a great device. It just doesn't seem to be working in my case, but I am one case in a thousand success stories. My rant was mainly at the overall process of modifying this car, which just hasn't been pleasant for me at all. Everytime I change something 3 other issues come up.

Hmm we have the same mods, except I have the MS CB, and no AP, but was debating one. I also have the FP internals on order as on my stock map I had some FP drop as well.

looks like you are in need of new fuel pump internals. can't blame the AP for that. also you are seeing a higher boost spike because you are catless. it has been proven that those without a cat see higher boost spikes and may also see boost creep.

looks like you are in need of new fuel pump internals. can't blame the AP for that.

Lack of fuel pressure wouldn't cause the 22.8psi boost. If the map notes say "target peak boost 19psi" and you are getting near 23, there's something not right with that. Yes, the fuel pressure got low, and that is what caused the AFR to go up...but the extra "A" in the AFR sure wasn't helping either.

Still haven't heard anything from Cobb...the AP is sold already. I'll be going a different route in the future...whether that is just stock or another type of management I haven't decided yet. Again, I'm not bashing Cobb or the AP...I'm just saying it wasn't giving ME consistent results, and boosted over the target levels to a point that I am not confident in the unit anymore...it WILL work for MOST people, but it just didn't work for me.

Last edited:
....I'm not bashing Cobb or the AP...I'm just saying it wasn't giving ME consistent results, and boosted over the target levels to a point that I am not confident in the unit anymore...it WILL work for MOST people, but it just didn't work for me.

You're not alone in this decision. I know of at least one other guy (builthatch) who ran logs after getting AP, was told by Cobb he needed to upgraded his fuel pump, and decided it just wasn't worth the risk. He didn't even have a TBE, just a mid-pipe (which worries me a little.)

I'm thinking Mazda really didn't want people to mod this car beyond intake and CBE. Or maybe it's just being one of the early turbo GDI cars to hit the market makes it tough to mod b/c there are a lot of unknowns.

Last edited:
When was your car made? Is it old enough to qualify for the fuel pump upgrade? If it is, go in and complain about "inconsistent power" and how dangerous it is that when you merge into traffic you never know how much power you'll get when you step on the gas. If the car qualifies, they'll reflash the ECU with a different fuel pump algorithm and replace the pump. It made a significant difference for my car. You may not need to resort to buying an aftermarket upgrade. Of course you'd have to put the car back to stock first...

Why don't you log WG duty cycle and see if you are overflowing the wastegate?

I did look at it...WG was at 95-100%, then I got the overboost warning and stopped. I'm not going to risk blowing my engine to figure out why it's not working right.

Anyway, it's done...AP has been uninstalled and sold. I might look into the Piasini tune later on, but for now it's fine being stock.

I think a custom tune is a better route for the MS3. Get the Piasini, then tell us your numbers!

looks like you are in need of new fuel pump internals. can't blame the AP for that. also you are seeing a higher boost spike because you are catless. it has been proven that those without a cat see higher boost spikes and may also see boost creep.

+1...some ppl with just a rp are having overboost issues running stage1. I was one of them. Flashed to stage2 and all is well.
I just don't get it..the map notes states EXACTLY what the mods need to be to run a certain map and ppl want to run what THEY want then complain when it doesn't work. Cobb states to upgrade the fp when running certain maps and ppl don't want to spend the coin then complain because the pressure is dropping and the afr is out of whack.
Simple...gotta pay to play. You wanna run a tuners tune or products...do as they suggest.

Cheers

Cobb states to upgrade the fp when running certain maps and ppl don't want to spend the coin then complain because the pressure is dropping and the afr is out of whack.

the prob though is that the FP can be high but the a/f still out of whack. that was my issue, and even someone with a pump (aaronc7) has lean issues in the same manner.

if you dont want to sike get a meth i have piasini flash and with stock tmic sri and forge bpv and tespipe i was spiking to 21psi and keeping 18psi now with fmic im spiking 19 and holding 17 because of core size and piping....

******* weird... I HATE seeing this speed3 have so many tuning issues. Reading everyone's post's you would obviously need upgrade you FP... But im suprised your overboosting that much... Makes me worry and it kinda makes sense cause everyones been popping their motor's or blowing the turbo..(argh) THERE MUST BE A WAY (help)

thats why you dont run a OTS map with mods that are not meant for the tune. Its been said a million times and its common sense as well.

Try going back to the stock BPV. That is likely causing the spike of that high, what spring are you running?

I just found it funny that you made the "decision" to return the car back to stock in less than an hour from your original post. And the AP is uninstalled AND sold in just a few hours! I'm sure you made the choice after much deliberation but it's amazing how fast the developments unfolded!

Back