Devils Hopyard Cruise/BBQ - Late July - Interest

genericuser

Contributor
:
96 Miata M-Edition, 2015 Mazda 3 Hatch
When: July 24th or 31st. Cruise starting at 10am, bbq finishing whenever.

Where: Late morning cruise through lake hayward, devil's hopyard state park, and the CT river valley. Cruise starting in colchester ct, and finishing at casa McSean for a bbq.

Devils Hopyard: http://ct.gov/Dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2716&q=325188

Addtl Info: Cruise is approx 30 miles, will provide map, directions. I'd probably want $5 a head to cover food expenses, and I'd probably make it a byob, though that never seems to be a problem with NEPOC.

<iframe width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=41.560741,-72.320912&daddr=Lake+Hayward+Rd+to:Lake+Shore+Dr+to:Lookout+Dr+to:Lake+Shore+Dr+to:Lake+Shore+Dr+to:Lake+Shore+Dr+to:Lake+Shore+Dr+to:Lake+Shore+Dr+to:Hopyard+Rd+to:Hopyard+Rd+to:CT-82+W%2FTown+St+to:CT-82+W%2FNorwich+Rd+to:CT-82+W+to:CT-149+N%2FMain+St+to:E+Haddam+Moodus+Rd+to:CT-149+N%2FWestchester+Rd+to:Hartford+Rd%2FOld+Hartford+Rd+to:41.584891,-72.365141+to:Mill+Hill+Rd&hl=en&geocode=FaUqegIdcHiw-w%3BFQYFegIdq1mw-w%3BFUuveQIdrkGw-w%3BFVKmeQIdID6w-w%3BFZGWeQIdlkSw-w%3BFQqTeQIdZEWw-w%3BFX6ReQIdtEaw-w%3BFTqNeQIdSEqw-w%3BFSVheQIdFl-w-w%3BFR4ieQIdghKw-w%3BFZBKeAIdGjWw-w%3BFW4SeAIdbjyv-w%3BFQiveAIdwIuu-w%3BFSqHeAIdBVeu-w%3BFVSdeAIdLUyu-w%3BFaBGeQIdAXuu-w%3BFUamegIdC16v-w%3BFfebegIdBXqv-w%3B%3BFUZVegIdwu2v-w&mra=dpe&mrcr=16&mrsp=18&sz=15&via=17,18&sll=41.584024,-72.367415&sspn=0.022823,0.038581&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=41.509091,-72.339478&spn=0.246814,0.439453&z=11&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=embed&saddr=41.560741,-72.320912&daddr=Lake+Hayward+Rd+to:Lake+Shore+Dr+to:Lookout+Dr+to:Lake+Shore+Dr+to:Lake+Shore+Dr+to:Lake+Shore+Dr+to:Lake+Shore+Dr+to:Lake+Shore+Dr+to:Hopyard+Rd+to:Hopyard+Rd+to:CT-82+W%2FTown+St+to:CT-82+W%2FNorwich+Rd+to:CT-82+W+to:CT-149+N%2FMain+St+to:E+Haddam+Moodus+Rd+to:CT-149+N%2FWestchester+Rd+to:Hartford+Rd%2FOld+Hartford+Rd+to:41.584891,-72.365141+to:Mill+Hill+Rd&hl=en&geocode=FaUqegIdcHiw-w%3BFQYFegIdq1mw-w%3BFUuveQIdrkGw-w%3BFVKmeQIdID6w-w%3BFZGWeQIdlkSw-w%3BFQqTeQIdZEWw-w%3BFX6ReQIdtEaw-w%3BFTqNeQIdSEqw-w%3BFSVheQIdFl-w-w%3BFR4ieQIdghKw-w%3BFZBKeAIdGjWw-w%3BFW4SeAIdbjyv-w%3BFQiveAIdwIuu-w%3BFSqHeAIdBVeu-w%3BFVSdeAIdLUyu-w%3BFaBGeQIdAXuu-w%3BFUamegIdC16v-w%3BFfebegIdBXqv-w%3B%3BFUZVegIdwu2v-w&mra=dpe&mrcr=16&mrsp=18&sz=15&via=17,18&sll=41.584024,-72.367415&sspn=0.022823,0.038581&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=41.509091,-72.339478&spn=0.246814,0.439453&z=11" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand go!

Last edited:
I don't think I have anything going on for either of those days... so either is good. Devil's Hopyard is awesome...

I posted a map of the cruise.

Don't worry, there aren't that many turns. I just had to put that many markers in so it didn't try and re-route me a retarded way.

Just a note and I'm sure Sean will mention it, but if you are lowered you may want to take it a bit easy on the cruise. Sean mentioned it and I have seen it, but the roads changed after that monsoon we had earlier this year.

Just a note and I'm sure Sean will mention it, but if you are lowered you may want to take it a bit easy on the cruise. Sean mentioned it and I have seen it, but the roads changed after that monsoon we had earlier this year.

Very true. If you are lowered there are a few spots in the hopyard that you could bottom out. My miata running stock height/suspension doesn't bottom out, even at high speed, but that doesn't mean others won't.

A lot of the cruise goes through residential roadways, so we'll keep a respectable speed. Lake hayward is 25mph maximum, heavily patrolled, and has a LOT of pedestrians... so absolutely no speeding can go on through there.

So what's my point? This will probably be more of a leisurely cruise (HEY MAHK and BRUCE!) rather than a speed run. If your goal is high speed, you are probably better served meeting us at the bbq in the afternoon :)

(or you can meet me there on a different sunday morning at 7:30 am (evil))

Last edited:
Very true. If you are lowered there are a few spots in the hopyard that you could bottom out. My miata running stock height/suspension doesn't bottom out, even at high speed, but that doesn't mean others won't.

A lot of the cruise goes through residential roadways, so we'll keep a respectable speed. Lake hayward is 25mph maximum, heavily patrolled, and has a LOT of pedestrians... so absolutely no speeding can go on through there.

So what's my point? This will probably be more of a leisurely cruise (HEY MAHK and BRUCE!) rather than a speed run. If your goal is high speed, you are probably better served meeting us at the bbq in the afternoon :)

(or you can meet me there on a different sunday morning at 7:30 am (evil))

Ok, I'll meet you at the BBQ. I may bottom out and the slow speed thing is no fun.

ha-ha! Does the NEPOC Support vehicle need to bring the supplies again for you Miata folks?

(sad2)
Ok, I'll meet you at the BBQ. I may bottom out and the slow speed thing is no fun.

ha-ha! Does the NEPOC Support vehicle need to bring the supplies again for you Miata folks?
luke, can i put the msm in your truck? please?

Don't worry Mark.. There are plenty of places where we can kick up the intensity (wrc)

But there are a few spots (lake hayward, hopyard) where we'll have to slow it down.

Thankfully, the slow spots are also VERY scenic :)

Back