2017~2025: Dealer won't use synthectic oil - CX-5 Turbo

I have a '22 CX-5 Turbo, and bought the dealer service contract. They change the oil every 6 months, but say it only needs conventional oil. I wrote to Mazda Customer Experience about this. They agreed that synthetic oil is superior, and said I should contact the dealer. My feeling is if the dealer really cared about doing what's best for their customer's car, they would use synthetic oil. Instead they do what is cheaper for them. I am going to cancel the remainder of the contract and demand partial refund. Anyone else have to put up with poor dealer service?

So far I've been kind of amazed at my dealer's behavior with regard to oil changes. I have the NA engine in my '23 CX-5 and when it came time for the first (free) service they agreed to use Mazda hi-moly synthetic oil, which I have always used in all my Mazdas with SkyActiv engines (3 to date). I told them to put the empties in the boot to verify they had complied, which they did. A couple of weeks ago the same dealer's service department called with an $99 service offer, which the car is just about in need of. I asked if that included the hi-moly oil and she said that their records showed that they had used it for the first service, so they would continue that at the promo price. She even stated that, in writing, in a confirming email. Considering I pay $87 from an online vendor for 5 qts of this oil and a Mazda filter for my Mazda 3 (which I service myself), I figured that was a pretty sweet deal!

My dealer doesn't use synthetic for turbo oil changes either. Said Mazda does not recommend it.
My feeling on this is conventional dino oil is fine if you change you oil at the 5,000 mile intervals.
I have apprx. 52,000 on the odo and zero problems. I change oil every 5,000 miles or a little sooner.

So far I've been kind of amazed at my dealer's behavior with regard to oil changes. I have the NA engine in my '23 CX-5 and when it came time for the first (free) service they agreed to use Mazda hi-moly synthetic oil, which I have always used in all my Mazdas with SkyActiv engines (3 to date). I told them to put the empties in the boot to verify they had complied, which they did. A couple of weeks ago the same dealer's service department called with an $99 service offer, which the car is just about in need of. I asked if that included the hi-moly oil and she said that their records showed that they had used it for the first service, so they would continue that at the promo price. She even stated that, in writing, in a confirming email. Considering I pay $87 from an online vendor for 5 qts of this oil and a Mazda filter for my Mazda 3 (which I service myself), I figured that was a pretty sweet deal!

Are you able to share that dealer? I see similar pricing at Med Center and Mazda Swag but you have to get over $100 for free shipping

Med Center charged me $135 last month

••• Oops.. forgot I got two oil change kits :-)

My Mazda dealer has been OK with me supplying my preferred full syn oil, and giving the small amount remaining back to me in the container.

Are you able to share that dealer? I see similar pricing at Med Center and Mazda Swag but you have to get over $100 for free shipping

Med Center charged me $135 last month

••• Oops.. forgot I got two oil change kits :-)

My Mazda dealer has been OK with me supplying my preferred full syn oil, and giving the small amount remaining back to me in the container.
If your 2.5 ltr is like every other SkyActiv on the planet, he should be putting the entire 5 qts in as 4.5 qts just doesn't get it.

If your 2.5 ltr is like every other SkyActiv on the planet, he should be putting the entire 5 qts in as 4.5 qts just doesn't get it.
My oil is in metric volume the same as my engine displacement, so I buy in litres.

A 5L container is more than the 4.5L required 😇

See how nicely the metric system works!

Back