Dashhawk Questions

Ok I have looked for these but a few questions:

1) I am not modding to the point of needing a tune(only have a nano and forge bpv (blue) on) , but I would like to know more about my car. I would like to know boost and if KR is happening and just plan old other information here. Also I would like to be able to clear or read a CEL if one ever occurs and I think the dashhawk can do this(correct me if wrong). Is the dashhawk the best option for me here?

2) I think i read somewhere a few months back that, the dashhawk for our car is no longer made or something along those lines because a new one is being made. Is this true? If so, should I wait for the new one to come out, or does no one know yet?

3) Also, how do you install the dashhawk, pretty straight forward or not?

4) What is the best place/least annoying place to mount this bad boy, I fell like a lot of people just place it in front of the speedometer and I don't want to do that, if anyone has it placed differently and has a pic, please post it up.

5) Will the dashhawk software work with mac/lynx machine? Not a problem I have a windows also, just don't use it much.

That is it for now. Thanks

EDIT:
One more question.
6) If I want to take it into the dealer, would they be able to know that I plugged in this bad boy, I know someone is going to say that this can not void the warranty, that is not what Im asking, I would just like to know if they would be able to tell that I plugged something into the port (assuming that this where you plug this in). Thanks

Last edited:
1) The Dashhawk is a good option; there are several others, but it's got a good balance of cost/performance/features. I'm very happy with mine.

2) MSD is no longer doing firmware updates for the Dashhawk. The most recent update is still available on their website and it is pretty comprehensive. I personally wouldn't hold out for a product that hasn't even been truly announced yet, as it could be years down the road before the "new and improved" product surfaces.

3) Determine where you want the DH, route the wire and plug into the OBDII port. Done.

4) I'll let someone with an MS3 answer, but on my car, the best places are on the dash, next to the port window and on the steering column, slightly blocking the fuel level.

5) I think the software is only windows compatible, but I could be wrong...

6) I don't think that they can tell something was plugged in. I wouldn't leave the DH plugged in for dealer visits though. Most dealers are looking for ANY reason to void a warranty...

Hope that helps!

1) I am not modding to the point of needing a tune(only have a nano and forge bpv (blue) on) , but I would like to know more about my car. I would like to know boost and if KR is happening and just plan old other information here. Also I would like to be able to clear or read a CEL if one ever occurs and I think the dashhawk can do this(correct me if wrong). Is the dashhawk the best option for me here?

Yes it can, and probably

2) I think i read somewhere a few months back that, the dashhawk for our car is no longer made or something along those lines because a new one is being made. Is this true? If so, should I wait for the new one to come out, or does no one know yet?

Buy the GenII...it'll work just fine for what you need. No more updates are coming, but it's good the way it is with the latest firmware (you will need to download that from the dashhawk website and upload it to your DH when you get it

3) Also, how do you install the dashhawk, pretty straight forward or not?

Less than 1 minute

4) What is the best place/least annoying place to mount this bad boy, I fell like a lot of people just place it in front of the speedometer and I don't want to do that, if anyone has it placed differently and has a pic, please post it up.

this is how I have it:

IMG_0008JPGcroppedSMALL.jpg

5) Will the dashhawk software work with mac/lynx machine? Not a problem I have a windows also, just don't use it much.

I believe so, but check www.dashhawk.com to find out for sure

That is it for now. Thanks

EDIT:
One more question.
6) If I want to take it into the dealer, would they be able to know that I plugged in this bad boy, I know someone is going to say that this can not void the warranty, that is not what Im asking, I would just like to know if they would be able to tell that I plugged something into the port (assuming that this where you plug this in). Thanks

No. And if they will void your warranty for having a monitoring device they will void it for having your tire pressure 1 psi off. It doesn't do anything but monitor, which they should like MORE because it can help prevent bigger problems later on

Responses in blue

Thanks guys,
New Question
I was wondering where the OBDII port is located on the MS3? Or is a picture included when you purchase?

AP-vs-DH.gif

I made this GIF to show the difference between the Cobb AP plug and the DH plug, but it shows where it plugs in, anyway.

I have mine mounted similarly, but to the left so it only covers below 2k rpm on the tach. Of course, RPM is one of things I usually have up on the dashhawk anyway. It sits just high enough to read all the display and no higher. I just custom cut something to mount the dashhawk to that wedges inbetween the part of the steering wheel pod that sitcks up and the dash. It stays put just fine - sorry, no picture.

Yeah dashhawk is a good product.

If you want the best bang for you buck get a dashhawk or aeroforce scan gauge.

I have the scangauge and both are great products. Dashhawk has a better datalogging feature but its also bigger and more cumbersome imo. The aeroforce scan guage is easier to use and looks like a normal 52mm gauge. Scan gauge is also a bit cheaper and you dont have to upgrade it or dl anything to measure A/F or boost.

just to add one thing about windows, heard its hard to use vista with it. also, do a search on here and you should come up with some pictures of them mounted in peoples cars. the coolest place i have seen so far, someone took out the passenger airbag light and mounted the dashawk in its place.

Last edited:
Most DH vs. Vista issues can be fixed by simply running the DH software as an Admin. EXCEPT, it appears that the DH software WILL NOT work in 64-bit Vista. It worked on my laptop with 32-bit Vista, but the laptop died a few months back. So I actually DL'ed the 32-bit beta of Windows 7 (my desktop's main OS is Vista 64) and the DH works fine in 32-bit Windows 7 on a separate partition.

I have my DH mounted in front of the fuel gauge, and I display fuel level on Screen #1 of the DH to make up for it. It does not block my speedo or tach at all. I'll see if I can remember to snap a pic of it before I leave work in the morning.

DH setup is easy. DL the v2.5x software upgrade for your PC, then plug in the DH & flash the upgrade to it. Set up your parameters & you're good to go. Most of it is pretty easy to figure out without the manual. The unit itself just plugs into the OBDII port & works. No sweat.

I have noticed that I have to adjust the gas mileage correction to about +8% to get what seems like accurate real time fuel economy display on the DH.

i ran the cord through the dash so i wouldnt see much of it then mounted in the corner. right in sight.

Attachments

• mazda 011.jpg
    mazda 011.jpg
    914.7 KB · Views: 259
  • mazda 012.jpg
    mazda 012.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 233
  • mazda 013.jpg
    mazda 013.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 219
  • mazda 021.jpg
    mazda 021.jpg
    1,001.8 KB · Views: 271
I like that idea, too. You definitely want to mount it in a place that is easily seen at a glance (which is why down by the airbag light isn't such a great idea).

And yes, it does not work with 64-bit Vista. I found that out last week :( Have to use my old laptop running XP to dl now.

thanks guys, i do like the idea of running the cord back thru the dash. They all look good. If and when i get mine and the time to do that, ill post up some pics.

dkswim: Does your dashhawk ever fall off from vibrations or with temperature change?

Thanks

I like that idea, too. You definitely want to mount it in a place that is easily seen at a glance (which is why down by the airbag light isn't such a great idea).

And yes, it does not work with 64-bit Vista. I found that out last week :( Have to use my old laptop running XP to dl now.

easily seen by theives at a glance?

That's why you attach it with velcro. Disconnect wire from the back of the unit and remove from the mount. Hide in glove box or take it with you (that's what I did when my car was at the airport for a week)

dosn't fall off. it gets removed every now and then... so its on fresh every now and then. if im leaving my car in a bad part ill take everything with me...

That's why you attach it with velcro. Disconnect wire from the back of the unit and remove from the mount. Hide in glove box or take it with you (that's what I did when my car was at the airport for a week)

I'll be getting a Dash Hawk soon and you just answered a big question I was having. I figured some Ahole would think it was GPS and rip it off. I'll have to mount mine the same.

Latest posts

Back