D Prepared Miata Build

And then I got to feeling spry and started pulling the suspension to start test fitting the new wheel / tire package.

10460121_10100124950360714_3431180710839728427_n.jpg

10802046_10100124950390654_2104535410019182588_n.jpg

Looking good, are you going to road race the car or is it still a solo only car?

Hill climbs look interesting I may have to check into those next season.

Hill climbs look interesting I may have to check into those next season.

I'm only about 2 hours from the Chasing the Dragon hill climb. Video from an acquaintance of mine who runs a BP Turbo locost 7:

Deech approves! (that'll make sense to a couple of you ;) ). He also made me dust it off. It looks even better w/ the doors on :D
20141202_210524.jpg

Speaking of the doors, I notched the driver's side to clear the door-bar. Probably notched it "too much", but is that really a concept for this car? Doors are "open" per the rules, so long as they look stock-ish and are removable, and not welded on.

20141202_210202.jpg

20141202_210038.jpg

After all that, the doors came back off because they'll be painted the same gray on the inside, and either painted or vinyl wrapped black on the outside. We also went ahead and stripped all of the vinyl and latches / pulls to start the prep work. So, they were only on for about 15 minutes to make sure they cleared the bars.

Chasing the dragon hill climb has been on my short list of things to do for a few years. Just need to make the time.

Less good news... long story follows.

To pull the t-stat housing so I could relocate the fan temp switch / sensor, the cam gears and the timing-mark plate. I figured while I'm there, I'll pull the cams and find the bad HLA that's making all the noise and replace it. So far so good, that all went fine.

Here's the Flyin Miata cam tool coming into its own. I love it.

20141203_174320.jpg

T-stat housing blockoff plate w/ tapped hole for temp sensor:

20141203_202622.jpg

20141203_234133.jpg

Here's where things go a bit south. While I was working, I noticed the oil looked (and smelled) a bit off. I thought maybe because it was sitting in the engine so long without much movement, but, while I have things apart, you might as well check, right?

So I checked.

Houston, we have a problem.

20141203_184337.jpg

So, sitrep? Sitrep:

20141204_113325.jpg

I'm glad that I found it now. Gonna get the head decked if all the valves check out, because I might as well do it right while I'm there. I'm also contemplating switching to solid lifters while I'm here, but that expense might have to wait.

I'm definitely switching to an MLS gasket, and probably will swap in ARP head studs. Budget at the new year will determine how much further I can go with it while I'm this far in it.

At least now I have plenty of access to swap the starter out, since it's got a dead spot that's been getting bigger.

That blocker plate looks awfully familiar... :) Good to see it going on!

Don't forget that the FM tool has a beer bottle opener in it, they thought of everything.

Let me know if you wind up needing more head bolts, I think have a spare set or two kicking around. Also, AMSOIL assembly lube worked wonders for me when re-installing my head/valves/lifters, and a friend of mine can drop-ship it for wholesale. Let me know how I can help!

Let me know if you wind up needing more head bolts, I think have a spare set or two kicking around. Also, AMSOIL assembly lube worked wonders for me when re-installing my head/valves/lifters, and a friend of mine can drop-ship it for wholesale. Let me know how I can help!

I appreciate it. I've got lube, fortunately. Are your spare sets used? Mine have only been installed and torqued once, and the manual doesn't say to necessarily replace them. So long as they torque properly, I think I'm ok with what I've got for now.

I need to take the head to a shop near me to get the head checked to make sure it's straight. After that, I'll know what my next steps will be. Probably just going to put it back together and run the damn thing, it's been too long.

I've gotta say I love the 1st picture with the cage looming over everything in the background. The car LOOKS badass. Now I guess it's time to make it drive LOL. It's an unexpected setback, but it genuinely could not have happened at a better time, considering I already had it most of the way apart.

Last edited:
The sets are used, and I've had good luck re-torquing head bolts on a few occasions (never had bad luck, yet).

I'm sure you'll get her back together soon!

I went ahead and did something smart for a wonder and decided not to wuss out and do it right so I don't have to do it again... a buddy of mine runs a race & custom street shop and suggested the possibility of fatigued or otherwise failed head bolts, so, I've got a set of ARP head studs on the way to go along with the Cometic MLS head gasket. I've also called my machine shop and they're going to hot tank & pressure test the head to make sure it's not cracked. If it's good, they'll deck & re-surface it to use the MLS gasket.

That got expensive, but not nearly as expensive as doing a full rebuild, thankfully. What's a few hundred dollars between a man and his racecar anyway?

Last edited:
Jegs is like the Jimmy John's of race car parts. I ordered these at 5:30 on Friday afternoon.

It's now 2:00 of the very next business day.

20141208_135919.jpg

Ooo lala!

Funny story about Jegs, on my FSAE team we ordered a bunch of fittings from them on a Friday night around 6pm. About 45 minutes later we realized we had made a mistake and called them back to fix it. Their response: "sorry, that order has already been shipped." O.O

The head pressure tested fine but was warped, and is now resurfaced and ready for pickup. MLS head gasket is on its way but won't be here until next week. I need to snag a couple thermostat gaskets from my FLAPS, but it should be back together by next weekend with any luck.

I think the engine feels a bit blue...

20141210_153808.jpg

*rimshot*

I put the guts back into the Brain Box tonight and hooked everything back together. Of course, because I'm hamfisted as ****, I wanted to make sure that the ECU was still good and booting up, so I turned on the kill switch and flipped on power to the ignition, and proceeded to spray the passenger side of the engine bay down with fuel because there's no head, which means there's no intake manifold, which means there's no fuel rail... so, go team dipshit!

I also figured out a way to secure the lid on it, since the strap those marine battery boxes come with is absolutely awful. I've never gotten one of those things anywhere near what you'd call "secure". So I fixed it.

20141211_213237.jpg

That ain't goin' nowhere :D

Last edited:
Back