CX5 running boards

Jack Rabbit

Banned
:
18 Mazda CX5 AW
Not many threads for those that want running boards.

A few of the running boards out there for the CX5 include:

Romik - Buy @ Romik, Amazon or Autoanything.

Heka - Buy @ Amazon ..sold by Sayeah

Black Horse - Buy @ Black horse or Amazon

Omac - Buy at OmacshopUSA or Amazon

Romik appears as to be the most durable made from aircraft aluminum...but expensive and didn't care for the appearance. They do have black but...If they had a design/color I liked, this would have been my 1st choice, regardless of price($$$).

Heka is the brand I ordered. Lightweight
Aluminum and steel...supposedly 500 lb weight limit( per side or per pair?? Even if 250 lb. per board...it should be acceptable, we will see if it bends during the return period) Design looks great. Chose all black with silver stripe. Claim they are made OEM. Factory powder-coated. Appears will be shipping from overseas.

Blackhorse- appears to be quality boards. Aluminum but designs weren't for me. Too much silver/ chrome look on sides of black board.

Omac- Best value. Nice boards at great price. Also have anodized aluminum. Again designs weren't for me as they had no black boards. If they had Black, this would have been my 2nd choice for value.

These boards are for a 2018 CX5.
Waiting for delivery to install and test out.

Reasons for installation of the boards:

Easier for elder parents and kids to get in car.

Make easier to get in vehicle once raise the vehicle by an inch or two.

Easier to get to any roof racks or cargo carriers.

Easier to clean roof.

Save the edge of car seat from being worn/crushed upon exiting car while on incline. Should preserve edge of the car seat cushioning.

Additionally, shouldn't affect ground clearance too much. and because the newer model CX5 is only 7.5 inches, will be raising the vehicle by another 1 to 2 inches in the spring/summer. The 2016 and older models were perfect at 8.5 inches, especially for offroad. Wish they hadn't shortened.

Will report back with pictures on the install, test, weight support and functionality/ durability.

Last edited:
My Heka running boards from Amazon came in...

but missing the brackets and bolts/nuts/etc. so need to request those be sent.

Also, the supposedly aluminum & stainless steel boards which came in... Shipping weight said only 14 lbs..

So weighed them.... packaging was 6 lbs and the boards 9 lbs.

so 4.5 lbs each...truly lightweight but worried they will not support myself &
other passengers who may weigh over 200 lbs. or even if a 300 lbs person needs to ride in your car.

Some of the other aluminum boards by Romik, Blackhorse, Vanguard, etc. appear to be from 28 lbs to 38 lbs shipping weight, at least that is what is posted on various websites.

Not sure if these are really aluminum...or if they just use less material and subgrade aluminum compared to competitors.

As comparison, the boards on my ford are heavy...

Will be researching and possibly returning and paying the $$ for Blackhorse or Romik if can find a good style/color.

Does anyone on the forum have newer running boards, which ones, how much do your's weigh and how have the held up?

Does aircraft aluminum (used in Romik boards) weigh more than regular aluminum ?

My Heka running boards from Amazon came in...

but missing the brackets and bolts/nuts/etc. so need to request those be sent.

Also, the supposedly aluminum & stainless steel boards which came in... Shipping weight said only 14 lbs..

So weighed them.... packaging was 6 lbs and the boards 9 lbs.

so 4.5 lbs each...truly lightweight but worried they will not support myself &
other passengers who may weigh over 200 lbs. or even if a 300 lbs person needs to ride in your car.

Some of the other aluminum boards by Romik, Blackhorse, Vanguard, etc. appear to be from 28 lbs to 38 lbs shipping weight, at least that is what is posted on various websites.

Not sure if these are really aluminum...or if they just use less material and subgrade aluminum compared to competitors.

As comparison, the boards on my ford are heavy...

Will be researching and possibly returning and paying the $$ for Blackhorse or Romik if can find a good style/color.

Does anyone on the forum have newer running boards, which ones, how much do your's weigh and how have the held up?

Does aircraft aluminum (used in Romik boards) weigh more than regular aluminum ?

Had to look over the Heka boards really good.

Except for a few rivets the magnet didn't stick to the boards so I don't think there is any stainless steel in the boards. Looking further was able to see dull silverish-gray color in the underside crevices with splotchy black Powdercoat. The underside is the most important part for corrosion control and lacking in Powdercoat.

So it is at least a metal, most likely aluminum with a subpar Powdercoat job. Definitely not ABS plastic so that's good.

If keeping the boards then will need to paint the underside better or fluid film the underside crevices.

Am going to get Romik and blackhorse weights to compare. Short of cutting the boards open (which would make them non-returnable), there is no way to see how much metal was used for the inner core.

The board weights should be able to help understand if the Romik and blackhorse boards are built stronger/better with more metal inner core structure.

Otherwise, may attach them once they send the missing brackets and see how they perform for a month.
Have an extended Xmas return period until Jan 22 if they are defective/break under load. The amazon website showed these as supporting 500 lbs so am going to test them thoroughly.

As they weigh only 4.5 lbs, supporting 500 lbs is doubtful but as long as they can handle 250 lbs each, will consider keeping them.

The boards were almost $400 so they need to perform without bending or breaking.

Blackhorse also cost about $400 and Romik $500 to $600 so may spend the extra $$.

Last edited:
The vendor is sending brackets and mounting hardware separately.

Sent an install diagram which only shows 4 brackets total, front and rear but no center bracket and the brackets do not appear to be powder-coated or anodized. Am somewhat disappointed for boards that cost $379 and no center bracket. Also, there is no Heka branding on the boards so they are unbranded. Another vendor has the same ones for only $319. If had wanted cheap boards, could have bought $169 ones on ebay.

My last SUV had front, center and rear brackets.

Can get Romiks for $479 that at least have 6 brackets (front, center, rear) and very well may have 10 brackets total for proper support.

Am waiting for Romik to respond concerning their support brackets as well as waiting to see what hardware comes with the supposed Heka's and then test them out.

Am expecting them to buckle under 250 pounds. in which case will be returning them and buying the Romiks.

The Hekas look alot better than the Romiks but the Romiks are sturdier.
Romik has boards rated for 300 lbs and for 450 lbs.

Sometimes you can get a deal on accessories that are sufficient, other times you just need to purchase the more expensive items.

Will post once installed and tested with pictures.

The vendor is sending brackets and mounting hardware separately.

Sent an install diagram which only shows 4 brackets total, front and rear but no center bracket and the brackets do not appear to be powder-coated or anodized. Am somewhat disappointed for boards that cost $379 and no center bracket. Also, there is no Heka branding on the boards so they are unbranded. Another vendor has the same ones for only $319. If had wanted cheap boards, could have bought $169 ones on ebay.

My last SUV had front, center and rear brackets.

Can get Romiks for $479 that at least have 6 brackets (front, center, rear) and very well may have 10 brackets total for proper support.

Am waiting for Romik to respond concerning their support brackets as well as waiting to see what hardware comes with the supposed Heka's and then test them out.

Am expecting them to buckle under 250 pounds. in which case will be returning them and buying the Romiks.

The Hekas look alot better than the Romiks but the Romiks are sturdier.
Romik has boards rated for 300 lbs and for 450 lbs.

Sometimes you can get a deal on accessories that are sufficient, other times you just need to purchase the more expensive items.

Will post once installed and tested with pictures.
One last note for anyone considering purchase of running boards.

Let me qualify this post first... I have bought some items from China that have been satisfied with but like anything else, there are both quality products and subpar products from any country.

If you buy a small international item, you may be out $20 or $30... No big deal.

However, before you buy any large ticket items from China, consider this...

If it is not what was represented or inferior or doesn't match the description, you may still return it but may possibly be subject to a restock fee and/or shipping costs.

Return Shipping costs can be quite high.

On a $379($410 with tax) item, based on weight, return shipping to China will be probably around $150.

In this case, the product(underside of running boards) is not powder coated completely/ adequately
, does not appear will support 500 lbs(as stated in the Amazon ad), missing brackets and hardware(to be fair, they are supposedly sending the brackets), and will not contain center brackets.

Based on diagram/ pictures, the front and rear brackets do not appear they will bolt into the frame in as many places as the Romiks.

This is problematic for three(3) reasons:

1.) Without center brackets, will most likely not provide enough cross support of the boards to support 250 lbs (let alone 500 lbs) without bending in the middle.

2.) Without center brackets and based on the few bolt points, could potentially damage/ bend the under-frame near the bolt points as there is not enough bolt points spaced out to support the weight. The Romiks have bracket bolt points both parallel(spaced out) and perpendicular to the frame while the unbranded Heka has only perpendicular bolt points. Think wishbone pattern or T-pattern (Romik) versus a straight ruler(Heka).

3.) The brackets may not be powder-coated , anodized, or treated which is a potential corrosion issue at the frame. Between the corrosion and weight upon the bolt points, the bolts could eventually pull out.

This vendor is already $60 more for the exact same item as a competitor vendor and they are out shipping costs as well. Since they are out shipping costs & also have $60 more profit than other reseller, hopeful for at least partial refund while keep product.

Am really hoping for a full refund. and will buy the Romiks.

However, if not able to get full refund, may be able to arrive at resolution to keep boards with partial refund and use the partial refund to buy center brackets, even if have to modify them and drill them to fit these boards and spray paint/ fluid film the brackets and frame contact points. Not the best solution...but am hopeful is an option. Center brackets would at least help distribute the weight on the frame bolt points. Front, center and rear Romik brackets would be the best solution and maybe alter them to these running boards. These are the nicer looking boards than the Romiks so if can make them work then all will be ok.

OR eat the shipping costs and buy the Romiks. $150 in shipping costs is alot to lose but may be worth it overall to not damage the vehicle frame.

If you are young, don't weigh much(like under 160 lbs) and the only one that uses your vehicle, and looking to buy cheap boards, then maybe get the $169 boards on eBay that are shipped domestically.

Otherwise maybe look at the expensive Romiks $500 to $700 that support 300 and 450 lbs.

Last edited:
Am now very disappointed.

Unbranded Heka Brackets arrived and
Romik responded.

Romik boards have front, rear and center brackets just like most running boards.

These Heka only have front and rear brackets.

Romik boards are 5.5 inches wide. Measured these and they are only 4 inches wide...initially the website had said these were 5.5 inches... that no longer is on the Amazon website or I wouldn't have purchased. Also, the pic on internet shows a foot on the board...it must have been an awfully small petite foot.

The Romik boards weigh 30 lbs ...these only weigh 9 lbs. The Romik brackets weigh 15 lbs.. these unbranded Heka only weigh...8 lbs. The brackets appear heavy duty and are powder coated though... But the bolts, nuts etc. appear cheap and flimsy...could have been thicker.

And the installation diagram is very basic and doesn't show which bolts go where ...
Where do the dogleg bolts go versus regular bolts, etc?

As the brackets appear very sturdy, may attempt the driver's side install to see how they fit and how they handle weight bearing.

One positive is these add very little weight to the vehicle.

As long as they are not too close to the frame and have enough step platform, and can get a center bracket... Everything else can be reinforced but can't increase width.

Last edited:
Ok. No more large (over $30) international purchases.

Paid $400 for subpar running boards. The brackets don't sit flush on the frame in places.
Will need to remove all covers and see how much needs drilled, etc.

And the boards were supposed to use existing frame holes but now appears will have to drill some holes in frame.

Could have had heavy duty Romiks for just $100 more @ $500.

And Fed-ex return economy shipping of the 26 lbs boards & brackets is $700??? Would cost more to ship than refund.

Am going to try and return through Amazon or work this out for partial refund and then beef up the hardware with center brackets and thicker bolts/nuts.
Really disappointing that they are only 4 inch wide.

The Heka/unbranded running board positives are lightweight, sleek and stylish, powdercoat/painted brackets.

The Romik positives are wide 5.5 inch platform, heavy duty, 300 to 450 lb support, six front, rear and center heavy duty brackets.

Hope this helps anyone interested in running boards to purchase the Romiks if you need wide heavy duty boards.

Am now stuck trying to make these work, return these for a loss,
or post/sale on eBay for loss.

Last edited:
Dude, just dispute it with Amazon or your credit card and get every cent of your money back and buy the other boards. You are wasting way too much time on the cheap garbage you received. Not as described, defective, missing parts, use any or all of those reasons to dispute and be done with it

Any pics? You can get stainless hardware at Lowes' , etc.
The boards only 3.75 inches wide. Powder-coat incomplete underside.

front of running board only 3.75 inches wide.pngrunning board underside.png

These are the heavy duty front and rear bracketsheka right front bracket.pngHeka right rear bracket .png

Compared to the Romiks(found these pics online)

these are the Romik brackets which also have Center brackets and
T-brackets and larger bolts.

Romik front and center brackets.pngromik front bracket attached to T bracket.pngRomik front t-bracket.pngRomik rear bracket.png

These are the Romik 5.5 inch boards
romik running boards.png

versus the Heka 3.75 inch boards

heka running boards.png

The Hekas(if they are Hekas as they are unbranded) look nicer but it appears the Romiks have a larger foot platform and bracket hardware designed to stabilize and disperse the weight over the frame more evenly and have stronger support.

Will be attempting to return these to Amazon this weekend. Return is a little more involved (with more steps to the process) as it is an Amazon third party preferred seller and not Amazon itself.

Last edited:
Dude, just dispute it with Amazon or your credit card and get every cent of your money back and buy the other boards. You are wasting way too much time on the cheap garbage you received. Not as described, defective, missing parts, use any or all of those reasons to dispute and be done with it
Yes. you're right. Thank you.

Thanks for the feedback on the various models. After your reviews and comments, as well as the video from Romik, I've decided it's not worth the time/effort/frustration for what would be (for me) 70% aesthetics and 30% utility. Thanks for your efforts

Thanks for the feedback on the various models. After your reviews and comments, as well as the video from Romik, I've decided it's not worth the time/effort/frustration for what would be (for me) 70% aesthetics and 30% utility. Thanks for your efforts
Thanks Hal. Glad it helped.

For me it's for the 90 % utility but still wanted it to look nice and blend in.

That was mistake as the sleeker boards are too small and not rugged enough.

Wish their had been more posts concerning pitfalls of different boards before I ordered.

Back