CX5 Navigation Option

Agreed, some of the better audio shops around here will figure out how to do this.

The market is so small for the number of customers who are willing to buy a non OEM for one model of one small mfg, it is very unlikely to happen...

The beauty of forums like this, if one person posts their success, others can follow. With an agreeably small market, there may be no "big" manufacturers that will take this on, but the DIY crowd has done some amazing stuff.....

Its not just as easy as plugging something in.
Most of the brains is in the head unit, you can't just make something and have it work with the touch screen, buttons, etc.
Mazda partnered with TomTom for the head unit and Navy so that it's easily (for them) to just plug in the 'nav' unit.

What you guys are asking for is similar to asking if old cars with DVD GPS units thinking sticking in a DVD by another GPS company will magically change the GPS.

It's not going to happen.

Its not just as easy as plugging something in.
Most of the brains is in the head unit, you can't just make something and have it work with the touch screen, buttons, etc.
Mazda partnered with TomTom for the head unit and Navy so that it's easily (for them) to just plug in the 'nav' unit.

What you guys are asking for is similar to asking if old cars with DVD GPS units thinking sticking in a DVD by another GPS company will magically change the GPS.

It's not going to happen.

not sure how you figure that, the head unit is merely the display and control interface
mazda wouldn't have put any critical components in the head unit for non nav models that would never get used to keep costs down

if that were the case the 'plug in' would be considerably cheaper

not sure how you figure that, the head unit is merely the display and control interface
mazda wouldn't have put any critical components in the head unit for non nav models that would never get used to keep costs down

if that were the case the 'plug in' would be considerably cheaper

Of course the part will be expensive no matter what.
It's not hard to imagine it's all built in to the head unit, and only an sd card reader and a "key" chip inside the little plugin module to 'activate' the tomtom in the head unit.

Keeps costs down?
My 2004 Mazda3i and even the CX-5 lowest model, came with everything installed (cables/wires) for the fog lights when it didn't come with any.
I just had to buy the stock fog lights, plug them in, then swap out the light switch stalk and boom it works.

Game manufacturers make games and sell "unlock keys" as a downloadable content to unlock features they put on the disc. Game costs $60, DLC cost a couple bucks.
Would make sense for CX-5 costing thousands of dollars, and the gps plugin unit (a "key") be a couple hundred.

I don't have a CX-5 yet, so anyone who has one, since it's so easy to plug in the little unit, pop yours out and let us see what it looks like.
I would bet there's very very very very little electronics in it. Again just an SD card reader and some chips for a "key" and a board for all the plugs to go and relay to the HU.

Of course the part will be expensive no matter what.
It's not hard to imagine it's all built in to the head unit, and only an sd card reader and a "key" chip inside the little plugin module to 'activate' the tomtom in the head unit.

Keeps costs down?
My 2004 Mazda3i and even the CX-5 lowest model, came with everything installed (cables/wires) for the fog lights when it didn't come with any.
I just had to buy the stock fog lights, plug them in, then swap out the light switch stalk and boom it works.

Game manufacturers make games and sell "unlock keys" as a downloadable content to unlock features they put on the disc. Game costs $60, DLC cost a couple bucks.
Would make sense for CX-5 costing thousands of dollars, and the gps plugin unit (a "key") be a couple hundred.

I don't have a CX-5 yet, so anyone who has one, since it's so easy to plug in the little unit, pop yours out and let us see what it looks like.
I would bet there's very very very very little electronics in it. Again just an SD card reader and some chips for a "key" and a board for all the plugs to go and relay to the HU.

and how much do you think is in a standalone unit, mostly screen...

if you look at the diagram, you see it has an antenna connection, meaning the gps receiver is in the module, not the head unit
theres more than enough in teh module to cover for the standard contents of a standalone unit

Back