CX-90 PHEV QoL questions

Hi CX90 PHEV owners, I have a few questions regarding the CX 90 some specific to PHEV version.

• Can you heat up/ cool down the car with pure EV while plugged in?
  • Can you turn on the car when plugged in?
  • No lane keep assist (for highway driving) on all PHEV trims?
  • No ventilated rear seats on all PHEV trims?
  • We have a Telluride and we love how the vents in the back are mounted on the top which I think is more practical. What's your experience been regarding ventilation and airflow in the rear seats?
  • No alcantara interior on any trims of PHEV?
  • Just saw The StraightPipes video on the PHEV version, and you can't enable touch screen for Apple Carplay? (Timestamped)
  • Any real world range in colder climates? I live in BC, Canada.
Thank you!

Answering for the US …
  • Can you heat up/ cool down the car with pure EV while plugged in? NOT SURE. I NEVER TRIED TO REMOTE START WHILE CHARGING.
  • Can you turn on the car when plugged in? NEVER TRIED. WHEN ITS CHARGING THE DASH WARNS THAT YOURE PLUGGED IN WHEN THE DOOR IS OPENED.
  • No lane keep assist (for highway driving) on all PHEV trims? CORRECT
  • No ventilated rear seats on all PHEV trims? CORRECT
  • We have a Telluride and we love how the vents in the back are mounted on the top which I think is more practical. What's your experience been regarding ventilation and airflow in the rear seats? SECOND ROW IS FINE, 3RD ROW IS OK BUT THE VENTS ARE AT THIGH LEVEL AND CAN EASILY BE BLOCKED BY LEANING YOU LEG.
  • No alcantara interior on any trims of PHEV? CORRECT
  • Just saw The StraightPipes video on the PHEV version, and you can't enable touch screen for Apple Carplay? (Timestamped). IN THE US YOU CAN. MINE IS TOUCH SCREEN
  • Any real world range in colder climates? I live in BC, Canada. 40°F AND RANGE IS 1/2 OF THE WARM WEATHER MAX, MAYBE 15 MILES.

Hi CX90 PHEV owners, I have a few questions regarding the CX 90 some specific to PHEV version.

• We have a Telluride and we love how the vents in the back are mounted on the top which I think is more practical. What's your experience been regarding ventilation and airflow in the rear seats?
  • Just saw The StraightPipes video on the PHEV version, and you can't enable touch screen for Apple Carplay? (Timestamped)
Thank you!
Here is my take as I have a 24 CX-90 PHEV I leased in September, 23:

• Yes, thru the dashboard under EV options
    • Just started using this feature and you tell it if you want what temp, what time you are leaving and it will heat/cool starting about an hour before. You can set up lots of schedules and have it heat or cool on schedule
    • You can but you cannot put it in gear.
    • I have lane assist for highway driving - I have top of the line trims
    • Correct, only heated in the rear which is fine for me.
    • No problem. They are not vented above like that but below in between the console in back seat. Not had any complaints to date.
    • Never heard of that option. I have the white interior.
    • Yes, I use Apple CarPlay all the time and it is a touch screen in that mode.
    • I live in Southeastern Virginia which is a southern portion of the US. It is a mild climate. We did have one 31 degree (F) last week and I noticed when I do not prepare the car like pre-heating it, that a bunch of juice is used once you get on the road. So, that is why I pre-condition now. But I normally get 26-28 EV miles daily.

My bad. For clarity, the PHEV Prem Plus does have lane keep assist (alerts you and nudges you back into your lane) but it does not have lane centering (actively keeps the car dead center between the lines even around curves) like the Turbo S Prem Plus.

My bad. For clarity, the PHEV Prem Plus does have lane keep assist (alerts you and nudges you back into your lane) but it does not have lane centering (actively keeps the car dead center between the lines even around curves) like the Turbo S Prem Plus.
Ah..agree....no big deal for me as I am not a fan of the car driving itself craze. I like it to remind me but I want to drive the car and not rely on the computer to do so.

Here is my take as I have a 24 CX-90 PHEV I leased in September, 23:

• Yes, thru the dashboard under EV options
    • Just started using this feature and you tell it if you want what temp, what time you are leaving and it will heat/cool starting about an hour before. You can set up lots of schedules and have it heat or cool on schedule
    • You can but you cannot put it in gear.
    • Correct, only heated in the rear which is fine for me.
    • No problem. They are not vented above like that but below in between the console in back seat. Not had any complaints to date.
    • Never heard of that option. I have the white interior.
    • Yes, I use Apple CarPlay all the time and it is a touch screen in that mode.
    • I live in Southeastern Virginia which is a southern portion of the US. It is a mild climate. We did have one 31 degree (F) last week and I noticed when I do not prepare the car like pre-heating it, that a bunch of juice is used once you get on the road. So, that is why I pre-condition now. But I normally get 26-28 EV miles daily.
The above responses are correct. I'll add the following:

When charging the car can be turned on but not be put in gear. AC/Heat can run, as well as the steering wheel heater. But seat warmers do not turn on.

As for BEV range, when the temps are above 60F, I've gotten 24-26 miles range. When down to 32F, I've maxed out at 18 miles range.

Note if you use the AC/Heat, it will eat up the battery, so I'm usually only using heated steering wheel and seats if possible, depending on the temps.

Ah..agree....no big deal for me as I am not a fan of the car driving itself craze. I like it to remind me but I want to drive the car and not rely on the computer to do so.
I own a Bolt EUV with Hand Free driving and I love this feature. There are situations where I am not feeling very well or need to look away from the road for a short monent and not worrying about the car losing its control.

Last edited:

Answering for the US …
  • Can you heat up/ cool down the car with pure EV while plugged in? NOT SURE. I NEVER TRIED TO REMOTE START WHILE CHARGING.
  • Can you turn on the car when plugged in? NEVER TRIED. WHEN ITS CHARGING THE DASH WARNS THAT YOURE PLUGGED IN WHEN THE DOOR IS OPENED.
  • No lane keep assist (for highway driving) on all PHEV trims? CORRECT
  • No ventilated rear seats on all PHEV trims? CORRECT
  • We have a Telluride and we love how the vents in the back are mounted on the top which I think is more practical. What's your experience been regarding ventilation and airflow in the rear seats? SECOND ROW IS FINE, 3RD ROW IS OK BUT THE VENTS ARE AT THIGH LEVEL AND CAN EASILY BE BLOCKED BY LEANING YOU LEG.
  • No alcantara interior on any trims of PHEV? CORRECT
  • Just saw The StraightPipes video on the PHEV version, and you can't enable touch screen for Apple Carplay? (Timestamped). IN THE US YOU CAN. MINE IS TOUCH SCREEN
  • Any real world range in colder climates? I live in BC, Canada. 40°F AND RANGE IS 1/2 OF THE WARM WEATHER MAX, MAYBE 15 MILES.
Touch Screen is only available with top trim PP. I don't like the Lane Keep Assist feature. It's like a grumpy uncle that complains all the times for nothing. Sometimes the alert comes on just because the lane is a bit small or the car is considered too close to the curb. When the alert sounds, you can see the lane paint disappears on the screen.

Last edited:
Back