CX-90 PHEV Maintenance Questions

Hi.

I'm going to soon pull the trigger on leasing (24 months) the CX-90 PHEV (I'm in the Boston, MA area but want to gauge opinions). For anyone that has the CX-90 PHEV, can you shed some light on:
  1. The maintenance you've carried out on it so far?
  2. What maintenance, if any, was done on the PHEV part?
  3. Cost you paid any maintenance?
Before I walk into the dealership, I'm prepping myself for the leasing manager and their add-ons, and one aspect is around any maintenance packages.

I've reviewed the manual here: https://www.mazdausa.com/static/manuals/2024/cx-90-phev/contents/69031000.html but don't see anything specific to the PHEV part, but did see on some dealer websites about maintenance/inspection of PHEV related parts, e.g. Inverter Coolant Check, so just want to be prepared.

Last edited:
Well, my Mazda dealer in Newport News, VA provides free oil changes, state inspections and tire rotation for the life as long as you own the car! I was amazed. I’m leasing for 3 years and will get another CX90 in 2-1/2 years. So far no expenses for maintenance. I’m getting 80 MPGe so far and love the savings on gas.

Dealer did not sell me anything. I had them add the tow package and that was $800.

Last edited:
Well, my Mazda dealer in Newport News, VA provides free oil changes, state inspections and tire rotation for the life as long as you own the car! I was amazed. I’m leading for 3 years and will get another CX90 in 2-1/2 years. So far no expenses for maintenance. I’m getting 80mpge so far and loving the savings on gas.

Dealer did not sell me anything. I had them add the tow package and that was $800.

I'm sorry, what? That's awesome!

Here is Boston, leased mines from Quirk Mazda (Quincy) back in Nov 2023.

Only maintenance has been the 5K oil change, tire rotation that was FREE., and two visits for Recalls. No other PHEV maintenance that I know of.

In terms of cost, I leased it so I got the $7500 Lease cash, $500 Loyalty cash and additional discounts, so I'm paying ~$600 / month, 24 months, 24K miles, with just initial fees down.

Here is Boston, leased mines from Quirk Mazda (Quincy) back in Nov 2023.

Only maintenance has been the 5K oil change, tire rotation that was FREE., and two visits for Recalls. No other PHEV maintenance that I know of.

In terms of cost, I leased it so I got the $7500 Lease cash, $500 Loyalty cash and additional discounts, so I'm paying ~$600 / month, 24 months, 24K miles, with just initial fees down.
@Tiggs Were you offered the Wear and Tear insurance and any Tire/Wheel package? Did you get it or was it overpriced?

And by Cost You Paid, I meant for any maintenance....I'll update the OP.

@Tiggs Were you offered the Wear and Tear insurance and any Tire/Wheel package? Did you get it or was it overpriced?

And by Cost You Paid, I meant for any maintenance....I'll update the OP.
No I was not offered any "packages".. and I've paid 0 in maintenance do far

I'm sorry, what? That's awesome!
Due to a heavy competitive environment (lots of dealers) in Newport News, VA, they offer free oil changes, tire rotation and State inspection for life. YUP. I was amazed and made the choice better. The dealer is phenomenal.

This from their website:
"Did you know that we have saved our customers over $50 Million dollars in service since 1993 through our Southern Hospitality Buyers Program? When you buy a new or used vehicle from Southern, we take care of you for a Lifetime. Not just 2 or 3 years, but for as long as you own your vehicle!

Benefits like Lifetime Oil & Filter Changes, Lifetime VA State Inspections, Lifetime Loaner Car Program, Lifetime Service Guarantee, 3 Day Vehicle Exchange and Much More"

If I get my maintenance done elsewhere (mom and pop down the road), do I need to prove, at the end of my lease, that I got the recommended maintenance done? E.g. I did oil changes, rotated the tires, etc?

Although my dealer is offering 2 free oil/filter changes and 2 free tire rotations during the first year, I'm sure they'll try to get me to do the air filter change, brake fluid change and inspections there and pay for those.

Just wondering what others have experienced with their lease in terms of what is required to prove at the end of the lease.

I would keep receipts and that works with car manufacturers. You can even do your own maintenance and keep receipts and date book which works. You do not have to use the dealer. However, for a three year lease, you would doubtful ever have to change the brake fluid unless you get near 100K miles. Inspections have to be done depending on your State. Virginia requires pretty extensive inspections and pollution testing each year and any State authorized shop can do those. I use the Mazda dealer as it's free the entire length of my lease. I have never had to prove anything at the end of the lease. I usually sell the car early back to the dealer and take out a new one. In that case the dealer takes on any issues and they resell the car. I've never had the dealer challenge any over mileage when they are buying the car versus turning it in to the manufacturer.

Back